MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Sunday
11:47 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » Meeting with the Deralian Senator
Meeting with the Deralian Senator
Simon_LeviDate: Wednesday, 29 Sep 2010, 3:20 AM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Moff Simon Levi sat at the desk of the Tammuz Sector Office, in an arcology barely 28 stories above the fetid streets below. Truly this proximity to the sump of the proletariat summed up his view of this assignment. He looked out of the window as the tincture of night began to suffuse the soup of the afternoon.

His alarm went off that he was due to meet the Deralian Senator presently, and smiled a sardonic smile to himself, the pompous old twit was likely harmless enough, a pointless old duffer in a body filled with oh so many of the same ilk. It was almost funny really, how the power of the inept senate had trickled into the now wide ranging powers of the Moffs.

The previous incumbent of the post, an obviously sentimental man had left several works of art and historical merit within his office, these had been systematically removed and sold. The profits of this sale had been put into the Imperial Treasury. The effete wood panneling, leather desk and comfortable furniture had also gone. Simply tossed into the garbage compactors. In its place were the new gunmetal grey efficient walls, a minimum of decorating, simply a few data screens to show facts and figures when important.

A simple black desk was the most prominent of the spartan items in the room, on it simply lay a pair of datapads. Behind the desk was a modern desk chair in front of the desk was an all together simpler chair which had been brought in for the convenience of the old man (normally the one meeting with him would be expected to stand (that is to say, he would be expected to stand, or be lying cowering) but exceptions had to be made for the elderly).

He picked up one of his data pads, examining the economic output of the Tammuz Sector as he waited for the old fool..

Moff of the Tammuz Sector

Titus_VeritasDate: Monday, 04 Oct 2010, 11:58 PM | Message # 2
Colonel
Awards: 0
His shuttle had recently landed on Deralia, and he was immediatly spirited away to the Tammuz Sector Office. It had always bothered him that it was near the slums of Imperial City. It bothered him more that there were slums in Imperial City. 'Something for Governor Aurelius to clean up,' he thought to himself. Although there was an assumption, apparently, that he was decrepit and weak, it was not the case, as he had still maintained an athletic build, as much of one as one his age could. He was no young twenty something commando, nor the lemmie player he used to be, but he was not the average old man.

When he made his way into the Moff's office, he found it... interesting. Moff Leonhardt certainly had a taste for art, something Veritas privately enjoyed in his visits. Levi's office was the testament of spartan living as well as Imperial chic decor. An interesting touch, perhaps indicative of how Levi's tenure would go. While Leonhardt retired from service, which was regrettable, Levi was considered, by Veritas, to be merely the first name on a list, rather than the prime candidate. He took a private joy in the fact that one negative word from his mouth to the Emperor would be the end of his service in the Tammuz Sector. He let the man enjoy his prideful moment of domineering over him...for it was he who had the true power here.

He sat in the chair, without saying a word or being offered it. His seniority, experience, and standing as a personal friend of the Emperor, demanded respect. If it was not given, so be it, but it would truly set this man's career in stone. Whether he was recognized or not, he spoke. "Moff Levi, let's get this underway, shall we?" he said, in a pleasant voice. He took on a warming, disarming smile. Whether or not the display would affect Levi remained to be seen.

Viceroy Titus Veritas, House Veritas
Consul of the House of Lords

Former Senator of Deralia and the Tammuz Sector (50 BBY - 30 BBY, 18 BBY - 10 BBY)
Former Chairman of the Imperial Senate Defense Committee (18 BBY - 10 BBY)

Simon_LeviDate: Tuesday, 05 Oct 2010, 11:30 AM | Message # 3
Major general
"Hello Senator, a pleasure to meet you" he said with a smile "A man of, quite a reputation... reputation" he mused to himself for a moment, flicking through the documents on his notepad "A um.. little bird tells me that your world isn't quite as profitable as it could be... mmm?" in his mind all he could think about was how he wanted to bang his head on the table, why was it such a necessity that he do this shitty job.

"I have already imposed a fairly minor tax, 20% value added tax on all transactions.. In order to improve profitability more my auditors tell me I ought to levy a sliding scale of income tax, with a top rate of 50% for those earning over 100,000 credits and increased taxation on cultural oddities not in line with the Imperial Norm.. would this seem reasonable? I'm cutting my own throat if I install such low tax rises.. but I feel if we are able to impose them and still have a tight nit and strong Imperial Loyalty in all levels of Society then I am sure I can protect Deralia from some of the more onerous fundraising strategies proposed to me? mmm?"

Titus_VeritasDate: Thursday, 07 Oct 2010, 9:37 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
He listened to Levi, disregarding his peculiar mannerisms. He nodded when he was finished, taking a moment to analyze what he had said. "I would agree to your tax raises. My only possible complaint is that I believe the top rate should be at a higher level than a mere 100,000 credits...but that is my personal suggestion. I do see some resistance to the tax increases from some of the smaller planets and systems in the sector...perhaps even from Tammuz-an. Our primary economic issue is lack of major corporate business. If we can get some corporations to set up facilities here that operate within Imperial standards of practices for a loyal Human world, then we should raise the economic viability of Deralia. There is of course the option of selling off land on Tammuz-an, much as we have done to Duro, without restrictions in place; that should increase the profits generated by the sector as whole, with Deralia generously offering office space to those corporations on Tammuz-an. Right now, the main employer, aside from the Empire, local government, and local businesses, is Rothana Heavy Engineering. A quarter of their employees originate from Deralia." he said, giving his own recommendations as well as a tidbit of information.

Former Senator of Deralia and the Tammuz Sector (50 BBY - 30 BBY, 18 BBY - 10 BBY)

Simon_LeviDate: Sunday, 10 Oct 2010, 2:49 PM | Message # 5
Major general
"You have a problem with taxation for the rich, surely all should pay for the mighty enterprise which is our beloved and divine Empire? A man earning a hundred thousand credits is a wealthy one and can hardly shirk his duty to help arm and equip our Empire to meet the exciting challenges of the years to come." he turned through his Data for a moment to bring up the matter of Tammuz-an and turned his datapad to the Senator "Aren't the natives disgusting" he said looking disgustedly at the digitized image.

Well, looking at their economics, I see no reason why we cannot make them mine their mountains, I'm sure there are suitable minerals and I doubt there would be much opposition to an indenture of much of the population. Equally, I am told there is a vast tract of forestry, I would certainly not mind seeing this felled and sold off. "I dont see why it cannot be efficient in perhaps two quarters. I suppose I will have to install a Governor though. But Tammuz-an is a relatively easy concern."

"Frankly I am not greatly concerned for Tammuz-an though. I am told Chuzalla has no current Government aside from Pirates and Slavers, and is a thorn in the side of my sector. Deralia, I believe, has its own, not inconsiderable fleet.

I would like you to have one of your best officers put together a force capable of launching a punative raid on these pirates. I would not see one stone ontop of another on Chuzalla. I have sentenced every individual found on that world to slavery in accordance with Imperial Decree A-SL-4557.607.232. I will organise the logistics for the slaves and will send a small detachment to aid your forces. I will also send a political officer to aid your own Admiral Tacitus Corvus' decision making.

I believe an operation of this sort, an undoubtedly patriotic enterprise, would do much to justify Deralia having a seperate fleet from the Sector Fleet and equally be a good exercise in Imperial-Local Cooperation. Equally the funds raised will help lighten your tax burden and help with any labour shortages in the sector.

Also, I feel having the Moff's seat at Deralia shows it a rather unwarranted degree of favour, and I am much against favoritism, so I am presently investigating moving my department to the planet Shola. An uninhabited world and central in the sector, meaning it is an excellent location."

Titus_VeritasDate: Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010, 4:58 PM | Message # 6
Colonel
He shook his head. "I do not have a problem with the taxation of the rich, I merely think that the top of the scale being set at 100,000 is steep in my personal judgement. That is all." he responded, then taking into consideration some of what the Moff had just said, and he was slightly confused on parts. "The Chuzalla problem would be a good one to start off on...the previous Moff asked to come up with a solution to such rather myself taking care of it, and out of respect of the office of Moff I complied, reluctantly. Unfortunately, Moff Leonhardt never came up with a solution. I am glad that you are being rather quick about it. As for moving the sector capital, that is at your discretion, so what ever you feel necesarry, although being so close to Tammuz-an, you might inflate the egos of the purple bastards," he said with a laugh.

"As for Corvus, I'm afraid you're going to have to go a different route. I'm not sure what your documentation indicates, but Admiral Corvus is part of the Imperial Navy and commander of the Outer Rim Fleet. I think the Executor, or one of the Viziers, if not the Grand Vizier, would be the person to talk to on that matter. I'm sure he would be willing to do so, if the busy pace and activity of his fleet allows it. As for the Deralian Navy, it is in a moment of transition, but I will certainly let you know when they are ready to go," he said, addressing the items that had confused him.

Simon_LeviDate: Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010, 2:40 PM | Message # 7
Major general
"Mr Veritas, 100,000 credits is a fine salary. There are very few officers on my staff who earn anything close to that. If Mr Corvus would not be available, can you suggest the officer who commands the Deralian fleet to me? Equally, I was wondering if you would be able to take me to see your "vacant throne" in the palace here, a fascinating traditon.

May I ask you also, what are your views on Religion Senator?"

Titus_VeritasDate: Monday, 18 Oct 2010, 11:29 PM | Message # 8
Colonel
He nodded, "Indeed, 100,000 credits is a fine salary... for the common man. Now, while we do not have much in corporation set up here, we have nobles and businessmen who have assets all over the galaxy, who make far more than this. I merely believe that the cap you are seeking is too low, but again this is my own opinion. As for who commands our fleet... I believe her name is... Sexta Caesar. Excellent woman." he said, curious if this would get a rise out of him. He continued to respond however.

"Visiting the Vacant Throne... would be difficult, as I'm afraid there isn't an actual Throne as this time. Nor will one be present until our government decides upon a new monarch. The Throne, in our culture, is built for each individual regent, and when they die, the Throne is put into storage and eventually made part of a monument to the previous monarchs. Now, religion..." he said, taking a pause and a breath. "I'm to assume you have heard of our unique ancient religion here? Me, personally, I am not a religious man. Not many are anymore here...you'll only find such from the deeply rural areas and among the most impoverished," he said, curious as to where this conversation was going.

Simon_LeviDate: Wednesday, 20 Oct 2010, 11:01 AM | Message # 9
Major general
"Unique... Ancient... hmmm. Sounds similar to another ancient religion which this Empire takes a dim view of? I certainly plan to expand taxation to the religious houses here. I would like to see the eventual disestablishment of this anachronism in the heart of your worlds culture."

Titus_VeritasDate: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 0:09 AM | Message # 10
Colonel
"Not perhaps similar, but indeed. As for taxation, that is up to you, and while I may have reservations on certain aspects, I will publicly stand by your tax plan. Now, I'm not sure I've made myself clear, but you speak of the old ways as if they are popular, strongly supported, and part of the state. It is not 'established' in that sense. It is not supported by the state, nor is it popular or widely followed. It is merely something the poor do, perhaps to have some hope of being raised out of their despair. Now, unless I am mistaken, and I am not, we have not outlawed personal thought nor have the religious done anything like the Jedi or sit anywhere near in a level of threat. Legally, we simply have no reason to begin any sort of campaign against these individuals." he responded, wondering why the Moff was so concerned with the beliefs of beggars.

Message edited by TitusVeritas - Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 6:07 PM

Simon_LeviDate: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 6:21 PM | Message # 11
Major general
"I am not proposing the commencement of any form of aggression against these misguided individuals, indeed I am quite sure they would benefit from being enlightened by the uplifting literature available from COMPNOR regarding religion. However, I simply intend to levy high taxes on those who would delude and psychologically abuse this frankly vulnerable population group. Hence I am proposing taxes on religious houses and donations in order to discourage the good people of Deralia from some mystical religious tradition which only holds them back from the order and progress offered by the policies and laws of the New Order."

Titus_VeritasDate: Monday, 25 Oct 2010, 11:28 PM | Message # 12
Colonel
"Interesting..." he said, then proceeding to look down at his chrono. "Well, Moff Levi, I'm afraid that's all the time I have for you. I do hope you take into consideration what I have said to you regarding the policies you're considering enacting." he said, rising, and then turning. As he walked out of the office, he spoke to him, without facing him. "I do hope I can talk to you again." he said simply, and proceeded to leave and resume his activities for the day.

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 25 Oct 2010, 11:51 PM | Message # 13
Major general
"Quite. Don't let me detain you"

Message edited by Simon_Levi - Monday, 25 Oct 2010, 11:51 PM

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » Meeting with the Deralian Senator
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz