MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
11:36 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » Post a Request » Sthena's Flagship/Fleet
Sthena's Flagship/Fleet
General_SthenaDate: Monday, 27 Sep 2010, 12:04 PM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Awards: 0
I'm requesting a flagship and fleet for General Sthena, a former Separatist commander who declined the order to stand down following the end of the Clone Wars.

For the flagship, I'd like to request the Separatist Destroyer, though the vessel is lacking in stats (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Separatist_destroyer). Perhaps we could come up with some reasonable stats for its size/weapons etc?

As for the fleet:

6x Recusant-class Light Destroyer
12x Munificent-class Star Frigate
2x Lucrehulk-class Droid Control Ship
2x Lucrehulk-class Destroyer

The fleet will largely be used for hit-and-run attacks on Imperial targets, never for taking on Imperial fleets or invading worlds (unless, through RP, Sthena gains some sort of support from other anti-Imperial factions). I'd like the Droid Control Ships to come complete with full complements of droid starfighters, but the Separatist Destroyer to hold none. This is because, through RP, I plan to recruit living beings to the cause, so that eventually Sthena can rely less on automated forces.
As for battle droids, they're hardly necessary except for security and operational staff, so I'm not particularly worried about having an army, just enough for crew for each vessel plus reserve crew (should any get damaged).

"The War is not over simply because an old despot proclaims it so.."

Jace_VaritekDate: Monday, 27 Sep 2010, 11:09 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
First, congratulations on your first ever fleet request here at AGW! Second, welcome to hell. Lol, I joke of course, but it is true that we are kind of particular about fleet requests (Adam can probably tell you all about this). The first thing to bear in mind, before I get into the numbers, is that the school of thought we usually have is that there are two kinds of space battles in an RP; "all or nothing" and "tit for tat." By "all or nothing" I mean, basically, that everything is big. Big ships, big fleets, big battles. It got the name "all or nothing" in the past because, when two sides have big fleets, they usually seem to sit on them for fear of losing them all in one, big battle, and the end result is that nothing really happens. In contrast, by "tit for tat" I mean that everything is small. The fleets are much smaller, but can be replenished. It got its name from when two factions have frequent skirmishes with each other, but aren't risking their entire fleets in doing so. In my experience, certainly here at AGW, this leads to a lot of small battles between small numbers of ships, which, in fact, are surprisingly exciting. In order to make this work, everyone has to be limited to a rather small number of ships, and a faction like the Empire, for example, has to be limited to using an appropriate amount of force OOC so that they don't just cruise in and obliterate all opposition (and fun) in the RP.

Having said that, you probably see where I'm going. The rule of thumb has generally been the smaller, "tit for tat" approach. There are a number of reasons for this in addition to those I mentioned. Such as, for instance, having fewer ships generally makes it more challenging for a player in that they have to use them more wisely, and make a decision between offense or defense but never both at the same time. Also, having fewer ships encourages different groups to team up, or to capture other ships, which, obviously, is great for RP. So yes, as you can see I'm going to push for a lot fewer ships than you're requesting. I just wanted to give you the reasons so you'd be more comfortable with it before I started butchering your numbers, lol.

So, if you take a look at Shiva's request, I'd probably be comfortable approving something more along those lines. That is, one or two capital ships and one or two smaller support ships. It's a drastic reduction from what you're requesting, but it's proportional with what other RPers will have and, also, proportional to the amount of force that the Empire will probably use against you. In other words, don't worry about being obliterated because you have fewer ships, because everyone else does too. Finally, we've had some.. unpleasantness.. with the Lucrehulks in the past. I don't want to say that they've been abused, but let's just say we've seen how very, very powerful they can be. Powerful enough, anyway, that I'd prefer to keep them out of the RP at least for now.

As for the "Separatist destroyer," I actually like it but I agree with you that we'd need to sort out the weapons before it's approved. I would toss it over to Orion to get us started on that, since he's already been looking at Separatist armaments tonight.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Jace_VaritekDate: Thursday, 30 Sep 2010, 9:16 AM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Okay, I don't know what's up with Orion. So do you have any ideas on what the destroyer's armament should be, Sthena? I'm assuming it'd be similar to the Recusant-class except a bit more heavily armed, since the Recusant is said to be a "light destroyer"?

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

Talri_NikaniDate: Thursday, 30 Sep 2010, 9:28 AM | Message # 4
Lieutenant
Can i make a suggestion Jace?

Because its not a light destroyer why not base it after the Recusants bigger brother the Munificent-class star frigate?

General_SthenaDate: Thursday, 30 Sep 2010, 10:16 AM | Message # 5
Private
Ok, I'm amending my request (sorry for the time it took, been a little busy :P)

As for the Destroyer, I'm inclined to go more the "Recuscant but bigger" route. So...

Separatist Destroyer 'Praetor'
- Length 3000m
- Width 300m
- Height/Depth 320m
- Hyperdrive class 2.0
- Shielding/Armour equipped
- Armament - Prow-heavy turbolaser cannon
- 6 dual turbolaser turrets
- 6 heavy turbolaser turrets
- 4 turbolaser cannons
- 24 dual laser cannons
- 30 point-defense cannons

- Complement - 100 Droid starfighters
- Crew - 450
- Passengers - 40,000 battle droids (deactivated)/1100 organic beings, active droids etc
- Hangar - room for one C-9979 landing craft, or 12 heavy starfighters

As for the fleet, here's my amended request:

1x Recuscant-class light destroyer
2x Munificent-class Frigate

"The War is not over simply because an old despot proclaims it so.."

OrionKarathDate: Monday, 04 Oct 2010, 8:29 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
Awards: 1
Okay, to have my greeting for you on fleet requests...Jace makes it Hell. I'm the more open one...and more liberal with numbers, but typically default to Jace's judgment. While this is indeed your starting amount, I emphasize starting amount. You can, through RP, expand your forces if you wish, although we will eventually cap it. We do also allow trade outs and such. Anyways...

APPROVED

Orion Karath
Manager from June 2009 to Present, Administrator from December 2011 to Present
My posts here, pre-2009 archives here

Jace_VaritekDate: Monday, 04 Oct 2010, 9:20 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
To be fair, and proportional with the request we approved for Shiva, I'd like to see one of the Munificents go. Then I think I'd be cool to APPROVE of this.

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » Post a Request » Sthena's Flagship/Fleet
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz