MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
11:01 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » A Review of "New Class" Vessels
A Review of "New Class" Vessels
Ponc_GavrisomDate: Monday, 05 Jul 2010, 1:27 AM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Gentlebeings of the Senate, upon consultation with my advisors I have become convinced that a full, comprehensive review of the "New Class" program, its vessels, and the role that these vessels play in the New Republic fleet is long overdue. The intent of this program was to design a new class of warships for the Republic with standard components, consoles, hull panels, and so on, to simplify the maintenance of these ships. The intent is reasonable. The result, however, has been to design and build a tool of conquest. This was of use in a time of war, perhaps, but this is no longer a time of war, Senators. This is a time of peace.

I envision a limited role for the New Republic fleet, to repel, respond, and resolve. That is, it should repel assaults on the Republic and its worlds, respond to requests for emergency or disaster assistance from Republic worlds, and it should resolve, or mediate, the disputes between Republic worlds when appropriate. The New Class vessels are inappropriate for this role, Senators. These vessels have more weapons than I have feathers. The Nebula-class Star Destroyer bristles with 120 turbolasers. The Republic-class Star Destroyer has 80, and the MC90 Star Cruiser has 75. These are ships that were designed during the war, to wage war. Not to repel, respond, and resolve.

I expect the review of the New Class program to last from 6 to 12 months. It will be led by Senator Behn Kihl Nahm, the esteemed chair of the Defense Council. While the review is in progress, I am ordering a freeze on the construction of any additional New Class vessels, except to replace existing New Class vessels that are damaged or destroyed.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Monday, 05 Jul 2010, 1:03 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Awards: 0
President Gavrisom, while I recognize your contribution and efforts in keeping the peace with the Remnant intact. I am hesistant about your motion to freeze any "New Class" vessels for the duration of the review and the post-review. Do not get me wrong, I am a man of peace. I believe peace is necessary, as the galaxy deserves it after two galaxy-spanning wars. However, do we have enough trust in the Remnant to undergo this kind of process? I am sure as many of us know, the Imperials have a talent for deception. I believe we should have the new vessels ready should the Remnant decide to break the treaty and resume war with us, out of preparation. I am not sure many of us in the New Republic would commit to this kind of process, unless the Remnant proves they can be trusted. It may be that my fear is unfounded.

However, it is your, President Gavrisom's, motion. If you feel you can trust the Remnant enough that we could put off the production of new vessels for a while, then I will trust you. You are our leader, and it is your duty to lead us on the right path. I am still hesistant to trust the Remnant, nonetheless. I am also very curious to see what Governor Oswaldt has to say about this motion. Perhaps he can offer us some insight into this, but I doubt it. Once again, I trust President Gavrisom is capable of putting us on the right path.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Monday, 05 Jul 2010, 11:20 PM | Message # 3
Major general
Awards: 3
It is not often that I cite Mr. Fitzgerald, the former Senator of Ralltiir, but he was fond of reminding us that the New Republic already has in its possession the fleet and the forces necessary to destroy the remaining eight sectors of the Empire several times over, as I understand it. This is one of the few instances in which Mr. Fitzgerald and the other opponents of the peace are right. We do have what we need to defend ourselves, Senator Fowlkes. That is not in question. However, the New Class vessels are clearly offensive, not defensive, and offensive vessels of this sort have no place in a time of peace.

To be clear, I am not proposing to reduce our fleet any further. Not at this time. When I proposed this in the past, it always depended on the willingness of the Remnant to do the same. But it seems there is little will for this in the Remnant or here in the Senate. The freeze that I have ordered is only on the construction of new vessels, and even then, only New Class vessels. This will not endanger the Republic or its worlds, or compromise the fleet's mission to repel, respond, and resolve.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Artemis_VandenDate: Wednesday, 07 Jul 2010, 9:45 PM | Message # 4
Major general
If you prepare for war, Senators, there will be war. Instead, we must prepare for peace, and this measure does precisely that. I cannot agree with the Chief of State more, and I commend him for his leadership on this issue that, as he knows, has long been a passion of mine. Warships are designed for war, and as long as we continue to build them, there will be war. And I do not accept the cynical argument that the best defense is a good offense. The best defense, Senators, is a good defense. That is why I feel that the Chief of State's new, limited role for the fleet is wise—it focuses on defense, not conquest. The use of the fleet for conflict resolution and for humanitarian purposes is also, of course, commendable.

I believe that this measure from the Chief of State is a reminder, if one was needed, that the New Republic under Ponc Gavrisom is becoming a better place, a safer place, and a more peaceful place.

Artemis Vanden
Representative of the Naboo

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 6:40 AM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Forgive me, President Gavrisom, I should not be using the Imperial Remnant as an excuse. It is something I, among many Senators, are fearful that the Imperials would have an ulterior motive in eventually breaking the peace treaty and commence war upon us. While I still oppose the peace treaty, largely due to perceiving the Remnant as remaining a large threat in this galaxy, I am fully in support of keeping the galaxy peaceful. I will be glad to put a lot of my efforts into helping the New Republic maintain the peace, as I believe it is the best course of action. I look forward to working with President Gavrisom, Senator Vanden, and many other Senators in improving the relations with other factions and repairing the trust issues among ourselves.

This is a time of peace, and trust is a key factor in maintaining the peace. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you want my help in such thing. After all, President Gavrisom, you are our leader and I will follow whatever path you have put in for the New Republic.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Message edited by Tremaine_Fowlkes - Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 6:41 AM

Senator_CambristDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 10:52 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
I concur with the Chief of State, as any thoughtful being must. Now that we have made peace with our largest conceivable foe, there is simply no need for force projection of the sort that the New Class was designed for. We are not liberating worlds anymore—thanks to the Bastion Accords, they can join us if they wish and no one need die. I do not oppose the construction of new vessels, mind you. Indeed, our forces are spread rather thin as it is in the Chief of State's mission, as he puts it, to "repel, respond, and resolve." But any new vessels we build should be models that are appropriate for the demands of this new era of peace. Perhaps we should look to private industry, such as Neimoidian engineering and Tapani shipyards, for alternatives.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » A Review of "New Class" Vessels
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz