MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
7:02 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » General Ministry Senator Relief Bill
General Ministry Senator Relief Bill
Mical_de_CrionDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 10:47 AM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Users
Awards: 5
General Ministry Senator Relief Bill

In our law, we have no requirements that our members of the General Ministry, should they be chosen out of the Senate, be relieved of their Senate seats when they are selected for service as a Minister. A prime example is Leia Organa-Solo who served for many years as Minister of State and also as Senator of Alderaan. In my mind, with no disrespect towards the currently relieved Chief of Sate, this presents a conflict of interest. Should a Senator become opposed to the current administration, they can use their position as a Minister to work against the Administration...and while this is of course possible to happen still, I believe lack of Senate membership will drastically decrease this possibility. Also, the same Senator could use their Ministery position to benefit themselves in the Senate or their allies...thus providing an open means to corruption within some of our most vital offices. This can not be allowed.

Thus, I am proposing; following acceptance of nomination and confirmation by the Senate and upon assuming office, any member of the Senate that assumes a position as a Minister of the New Republic General Ministry, as well as the position of First Administrator, is hereby required to relieve themselves of their Senate seat immediatly, with a replacement delegate serving out the rest of their term, chosen by whatever means the applicable constituency has.

Mical Léo de Crion
Director, All Stars Burn As One Foundation
Chairman, Urban Youth College Fund
Owner, Château Hiver Rivière

Senator_CambristDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 11:08 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
A sensible proposal, though I wonder if it goes far enough? Perhaps a prospective Minister of State should not only hold no simultaneous seat in the Senate, but, in fact, hold no other position of public trust whatsoever. That is, a Minister of State should not also be a Senator, but nor also be a King or a Premier or a Governor or what have you. If the premise of this bill is that a government position should not be used to the benefit of any other government position, then I would suggest to Senator Crion that the amendment I propose is in the same spirit as this bill.

In any case, I vote in favor. The Republic must have the highest standards, especially for its Minister of State considering the debacle with Q-Varx, that we would do well not to forget.

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 11:43 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Awards: 0
I vote in favor of the proposal.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Mical_de_CrionDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 11:58 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Awards: 5
Thank you, Senator Cambrist, for a fine contribution to this effort. I Accept the Cambrist Ammendment. Thus, the bill stands now as;

Following acceptance of nomination and confirmation by the Senate and upon assuming office, any member of the Senate that assumes a position as a Minister of the New Republic General Ministry, as well as the position of First Administrator, is hereby required to relieve themselves of their Senate seat, as well as any other elected position, immediatly, with a replacement serving out the rest of their term, chosen by whatever means the applicable constituency has to the appropriate position.

Mical Léo de Crion
Director, All Stars Burn As One Foundation
Chairman, Urban Youth College Fund
Owner, Château Hiver Rivière

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Sunday, 18 Jul 2010, 4:14 PM | Message # 5
Major general
Awards: 3
A sensible proposal. This has been the practice for some time, but it might as well be the policy henceforth. I support the measure, and, it seems, with no objections forthcoming the measure passes unanimously.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » General Ministry Senator Relief Bill
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz