MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Monday
7:35 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Jedi Accountability Bill
The Jedi Accountability Bill
Senator_CambristDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 11:46 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant general
Group: Users
Awards: 6
Senators, the measure I propose is a simple one; that the New Republic will no longer pay the legal costs, compensation, etc. for collateral damage, injuries, and deaths caused by the Jedi. With all due respect to Master Skywalker, he and his Academy seem to regard the New Republic treasury as their own personal credit account. It is one thing to have a respectful relationship with the Jedi, and indeed, I do not oppose this. But the Republic should not subsidize the irresponsible, reprehensible, and reckless conduct of the Jedi by paying for every door they slice open, every speeder they "borrow," and most of all, every or any of the beings whose limbs and lives are cut short by their blades.

We have done a lot for the Jedi. We provide them with ships, we gave them the Academy, and our soldiers have died to defend it on more than one occasion. It's time the Jedi acted responsibly in return, and paid their own way. Earlier this year, I was pleased that the Senate voted to charge for rent and utilities on the Academy. This was a step in the right direction, and now its time for another, greater step. I vote in favor, because the Jedi should clean up their own messes, not us.

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Sunday, 18 Jul 2010, 4:37 PM | Message # 2
Major general
Awards: 3
With all due respect to the Senator, his measure is rather adversarial to the Jedi despite his protestation that he does not oppose a "respectful relationship" with Yavin. I understand his position on this, and even some of his frustration. However, the Academy assures me that it is aware of the excesses that some of its students have exhibited in the past and is doing all that can be reasonably expected of it to curb these excesses in the future. I believe, also, that the Republic can be helpful in this regard as a friendly voice of restraint to the Jedi, one that makes known to the Academy the concerns and criticisms of the people, including the good Senator from Brentaal. Thus, I am reluctant to endorse any measure at this time that could damage the "respectful relationship" that he refers to.

In other words, instead of pushing the Jedi away, I feel the Republic should act as a moderating influence and engage the Jedi in dialogue. This has been, and remains, the policy of my administration. Senator Cambrist, however, is a man whose opinions and I respect and would be quite willing to listen to if he wishes to visit my office this week. Perhaps he would be willing to withdraw his proposal in the meantime until we have discussed it and come up with a compromise?

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Message edited by Ponc_Gavrisom - Sunday, 18 Jul 2010, 4:39 PM

Senator_CambristDate: Sunday, 18 Jul 2010, 9:25 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant general
It is commendable of the Chief of State to seek compromise on this matter, but with all due respect to him, there are some matters on which there can be no compromise. Surely, this is one of them. I do not oppose a respectful relationship with the Jedi, this is true, but it is not respectful of them to regard us as a personal bank account to pay for what the Chief of State refers to as their "excesses" which, more often than not, are crimes―assault, manslaughter, trespassing, theft and destruction of property, and so on. What this proposal comes down to is whether or not the New Republic endorses this conduct, and here, surely, there is no compromise. It is a yes or no proposition.

There are yet other considerations, however, such as why in the first place the New Republic is so intimately invested in a private, paramilitary religious order that is not accountable to the people? But more to the point, can the Republic even do this legally under the Common Charter? Article I is explicit that the Senate "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." Why is it, then, that we did indeed help to establish the Jedi Academy and we still pay their bills?

For all of these reasons, this proposal is an important one that, with respect to the Chief of State, I decline to withdraw. The Senate should be heard on this, so the people can see whose side their Senators are on―the side of the public, of good, just conduct and the rule of law, or on the Jedi's side. Sadly, I do not feel that it is hyperbolic of me to phrase the distinction in these terms. The Chief of State's offer is appreciated, however. I would not be averse to working with him on similar measures in the future.

Johannes_OswaldtDate: Monday, 19 Jul 2010, 1:58 AM | Message # 4
Major general
Awards: 0
I vote in favor, even though the measure doesn't go far enough. The Jedi are scheming, murderous miscreants that the Republic should have nothing to do with. Senators, and President Gavrisom, consider this; a popular leader of the Republic brings peace to the galaxy after years of war, and the Jedi―supposedly "allies" of the Republic―storm into his office at night and attempt a bloody coup against him. If you think this isn't possible, think again. It happened to the Old Republic, and it can happen to the New Republic if it makes the same mistakes. No disrespect, but if you don't think so then you're a damn fool.

It starts with the loan of an old base on Yavin, some financial support, and a few ships here and there, and eventually your troops are dying for them while they steal children from their parents to form the new generation of Jedi―a new generation that will fight in the war that they will inevitably blunder us into. Eriadu will have none of it. That's why I've decreed that Jedi are not welcome on my world, and will be subject to scrutiny and surveillance there. We've had no trouble since.

Johannes Oswaldt
Senator and Governor of Eriadu

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010, 9:08 AM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Awards: 0
Governor Oswaldt, must I remind you that the Old Jedi and the New Jedi are very different? While a bloody coup might not be so farfetched, I strongly doubt Master Skywalker and his fellow students would attempt a such thing. Master Skywalker have been trying very hard to ensure that the Academy does not make the repeated mistakes. One of them being so isolated from the rest of the galaxy. In fact, I believe the Academy is more open to advice and input. A lot more open than the Jedi in the waning days of the Old Republic. As of Senator Cambrist's proposal, I can understand his views on this. His concerns on the Jedi Academy using the New Republic's funding as a their own personal credit account are perfectly understandable. However, I doubt the Jedi viewed the funding as personal accounts. Like President Gavrisom said, we should act as a moderating influence and engage the Jedi in dialogue. In due respect to Governor Oswaldt and Senator Cambrist, I strongly urge the proposal to be withdrawn. Then all of us within the Senate could come up with a more friendly proposal, one that would benefit both the New Republic and the New Jedi Order. I am sure the Jedi Academy would be more than willing to hear Senator Cambrist's concerns. Surely, this is one of the issues that we should have the Jedi Academy involved in.

By the way, I should have expected this from Governor Oswaldt. His world, Eriadu, have had no trouble since because he pretty much banned everyone from stepping a foot on the surface. Especially the Separatists and the Jedi, but both wars are over and it is a time of peace. You should at least be willing to allow them to improve relations with your world. They are not the Remnant's enemies anymore, and the time is changing. It is a time of unity, and you are opposing that.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Message edited by Tremaine_Fowlkes - Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010, 9:24 AM

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010, 11:00 AM | Message # 6
Major general
Awards: 3
Governor Oswaldt will confine his remarks to the measure before us, please, and kindly do so in parliamentary language.

I believe Senator Fowlkes is right, that this measure could enjoy broad support if it is made more palatable to the Senate. I would reiterate my call to Senator Cambrist to consider withdrawing his motion so that it might be discussed in private. I'm sure a version of it can be drafted that does not compromise the proposition that the Senator refers to. But this is a very intricate matter, as Senator Cambrist correctly notes, and I feel it is one that deserves careful consideration and the input of legal scholars as well as the Jedi.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Senator_CambristDate: Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010, 11:16 AM | Message # 7
Lieutenant general
Senator Fowlkes, I have absolutely no interest in a "friendly" proposal that would "benefit the Jedi Order." The Republic's financial arrangement with the Jedi, as it is now, is advantageous to the Jedi and disadvantageous to us. My proposal merely corrects this. President Gavrisom, I shudder at the thought of making the right thing to do into something more "palatable" to the Senate. As I said, it is commendable of the Chief of State to seek compromise on this matter, but was it not he who said that "right is like gold―immutable, whatever else it may be, it is still gold"?

However, the Chief of State's point is conceded. I withdraw the motion for the time being, but only for the time being.

Message edited by Senator_Cambrist - Tuesday, 20 Jul 2010, 11:17 AM

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Jedi Accountability Bill
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz