MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
4:31 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Lunch with the Chief of State (Meeting of Gavrisom and Fowlkes)
Lunch with the Chief of State
Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Saturday, 07 Aug 2010, 7:03 AM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Users
Awards: 0
The Senator was sitting down on a chair, pressed closely against a table. He was looking over the menu the waitress had given him a moment ago, but would not order just yet. Tremaine wanted to be prepared to order what he want by the time President Gavrisom arrive. Yes, the President had managed to fit him into the typical busy schedule of Ponc's somehow. Senator Fowlkes' bodyguards would be standing by just before the entrance to check any signs of suspicious activities that would have to pull the Senator out of the restaurant. It was a very popular restaurant, and tourists tend to stop by this place every single day. That was what he heard. It was the Manarai Restaurant inside the Monument Plaza on Coruscant. Before he got into the restaurant, he decided to do a small entourage of the entire Monument Plaza.

Of course, he wasn't able to see all the infamous site of the Plaza and he knew he would have to go back to finish the entourage the next day. Tremaine was not the sort of man that likes unfinished business, no matter how small it was. President Gavrisom's pack of assistants would probably have called the restaurant to make reservations earlier, but that was unnecessary. Senator Fowlkes of Mowgle had made sure that the reservations went through days ahead of the President. Tremaine knew Ponc would probably be the busiest person in the galaxy, so he had relieved the feathery man of this very small burden. The very same waitress that gave Tremaine the menu approached again, "Are you ready to order, sir?"

The Senator would shift his focus from the menu and toward the waitress, "Uh, I'd prefer to wait until he arrives. I'll have a glass of water to start out, though." The Senator had figured that once he called to make the reservations, the staff inside the restaurant would know who was coming to meet with him. The waitress nodded and walked away, there were a lot of issues the Senator and the President would have to speak about. Especially about the relations with the Jedi and the Imperial Remnant.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Saturday, 14 Aug 2010, 11:50 PM | Message # 2
Major general
Awards: 3
As he entered the Manarai, Gavrisom was delayed several times on his way to the Senator's table as individuals intercepted him, his feathers bristling as they stopped him for conversation, or handed him business cards, or asked him for favors, or took his picture. The Chief of State was courteous to these individuals, of course, but he would have preferred to meet in the privacy of his office, where he and the Senator could discuss matters openly and where he would be able to refer to data that could be useful to them. The Manarai, as arguably the most prestigious dining establishment in the galaxy, was perhaps not the most discreet place for a conversation as personal as this. But still, Gavrisom nodded his head politely to Senator Fowlkes when, at last, he made his way to the table. He had been provided with what some called a "rooster seat"—essentially a flat, cushioned dias designed for avian species—and settled onto it gratefully. He had presided over the Senate all morning, and it was always a tiring experience.

He ordered a very light lunch, a seed salad, and spoke of small matters with the Senator—the Senator's wife and children, Gavrisom's younglings, traffic on Coruscant, and so on—until the Chief of State suggested, politely, that they meet again later at his office where they could discuss important matters in private. Assuming that the Senator would oblige him, Gavrisom would nod to him when they had finished eating and excuse himself, returning the way he had come and encountering even more ingratiators along the way.

An hour later, back in the Prosperity Wing of the Executive Arcology, the Chief of State greeted the Senator warmly in his office. "If I may, I would like to begin with something you might not know about me," he said once they were seated. The common wisdom was that Calibops were good at talking and not much else, and on this occasion Gavrisom did not disappoint. "When Leia Organa first came to me with the news that Admiral Pellaeon had proposed a peace treaty to us, I was at Bothawui trying to negotiate a peaceful end to the Caamas issue. I must be honest with you, Senator—when she first told me, I was against it. It wasn't because I was against peace but, you see, there at Bothawui I had watched the Republic nearly tear itself apart over its petty differences, and I thought that the Republic needed a common enemy to be united against."

"But," he went on, "I realized, with the Caamas issue as well as with the peace treaty, that what you're for is more important than what you're against. Leia helped me to see this when she insisted on pursuing the negotiations with Admiral Pellaeon, despite my reluctance. I could see that peace was something she desperately wanted, and so, too, is it something that the galaxy desperately wants. Indeed, since most people now support the Bastion Accords, we have seen that the Republic can be as united by peace as it can be by war."

"You have a lot of potential to be an important figure in New Republic politics, Tremaine," the Chief of State explained, "I hope that you and I can be united in support of peace as well, and that we can come to compromise on these Morishim Amendments." He tapped a feather on his datapad and loaded a copy of the Morishim Amendments, and turned the datapad to face the Senator so that he might refer to them. "Please, I would like to know your objections to the Amendments," he said.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 9:49 AM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Tremaine would nod his head politely in return to the Chief of State Gavrisom when he approaches the table, standing up out of respect to the Calibop. He didn't sit back down until Gavrisom would take a seat himself. As Tremaine had expected, the Chief of State didn't speak on the important issues regarding the Bastion Accords. He didn't even attempt to steer the conservation toward that, as he didn't want to risk offending the Calibop. The Senator of Mowgle had a light lunch as well, which he decided at the very last moment, due to the fact that Tremaine had a gut feeling that the meeting at the most prestigious restaurant in the galaxy wouldn't end at the the very same place.

The Senator had a soup, and finished it up after a few minutes. Then he proceeded to engage Gavrisom in small talk, both of them talking about their kids, among several topics including the traffic on Coruscant. Shortly after, Ponc had suggested that they take the important matters in private and it would be in his very office. Tremaine would politely nod in agreement, as it didn't really matter to him where they would discuss a such topic. The Senator was a man that is very capable of adapting himself into any situations, as evidenced by many of his proposals and his opinions toward others' bills. He would pay for the bill that was presented shortly after Ponc left, and then the Senator himself would leave the restaurant.

An hour later, he would find himself in the Prosperity Wing of the Executive Arcology. It was not often that Tremaine was in this part of the building, not because Ponc didn't invite him often but because he was always busy doing stuffs with his nonprofit organization in the Outer Rim. The Senator had become close to a lot of people he worked with in the Outer Rim, but that was something to be done any other time. He was here to confer with the man, or in this case the Calibop, that is leading the New Republic.

The Senator would proceed to sit down on the chair the Chief of State had so politely gestured him to sit on. Unlike several Senators, Tremaine had kept himself open-minded. He believed this would be the best course in not only making the New Republic stronger, but making the galaxy a safer place to roam around in. He began to listen in to the Calibop speaking, and will not interrupt until the President would be done.

Tremaine cleared his throat before speaking, "You must understand that, I am a man of peace. Normally, I would encourage that the galaxy enter into a time of peace. I am not entirely against the peace with the Remnant. However, I am very reluctant to support the Bastion Accords. It's not because I am in support of war. It is because I still perceive the Remnant as a threat. It's not that I object against the Morishim Amendments itself, it's that I object against the peace with the Remnant. I hate to say this, sir, but I truly feel that the New Republic enter into a time of peace just because the galaxy wants to catch its breath. Despite the fact that you were the one that agreed, I have my doubts about the New Republic's desire to truly do this. I am a man of humanitarian, and I don't tolerate how the Remnant treats some of their own citizens on some of the worlds they now occupy. I suspect Admiral Pellaeon came forward in the first place out of self-preservation, not out of desire to enter into a time of peace." The Senator would let out a sigh, letting himself catch a breath before he would continue to speak.

"Unlike many of the Senators, which would just about use anything to advance themselves, I am merely doing this out of interest of the New Republic. I am truly loyal to the government. Despite my feelings toward the peace and my reluctance toward the Remnant, I am more than willing to compromise with you on this. I truly only want the best for the New Republic. Instead of attempting to eradicate them from the face of the galaxy like Senator Forte had so bluntly proposed, I can continue to press my efforts in help changing the way the Imperial Remnant perceive the galaxy, and more importantly, toward their treatment of every sentient being. I am a rational person, I can put aside my feelings toward the Remnant if I have to. As of the potential to become an important figure in the politics, I do not care about the position of power. I only want to do my part in helping making the galaxy a better place, even if that puts me in a position of power." He stopped speaking, allowing Ponc to take his turn in speaking. The Senator of Mowgle had a problem in talking too much, he couldn't help it due to his high passion toward his work.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010, 11:33 AM | Message # 4
Major general
Awards: 3
Gavrisom cocked his head to one side and his feathers ruffled about his neck in what, for a Calibop, was a gesture of confusion—equivalent to a human raising an eyebrow. The datapad sat heavily between them on the desk. "But Senator, this is not logical," he said, "Surely you don't oppose the Morishim Amendments because you oppose the Bastion Accords? The Bastion Accords are a different matter, and besides, over eight hundred Senators voted in support of the treaty only recently. Even Senator Forte did not oppose it. But also, Senator, you want to change the Remnant, compel them to respect the rights of their people. And so do I. That's why I support the Morishim Amendments." He waved a feathered wing gracefully at the datapad. "That is what the Amendments do, Tremaine," he said, pleadingly, "They not only condemn slavery, but end it. They assure that the Remnant will not persecute its people. Isn't this what we want?"

"Forgive me if I do not understand," he said, "but it appears to me that you are voting against what you support, for reasons that are not clear to me."

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Saturday, 28 Aug 2010, 9:23 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Tremaine was about to respond to President Gavrisom when he suddenly thought about what the Calibop had said about not understanding Tremaine's standing on the Morishim Amendments. The Senator would ponder on this for a moment, thinking about both how to answer Ponc's most recent statement and how he should proceed regarding the Morishim Amendments. His face expression would indicate that he was little bit confused, "Well, as you are aware, I marched with the peaceful protestors at the Morishim Summit and one that clearly was ruined by the former Senator Karath. I marched with them because I was opposed to a peace with the Remnant. That is because I have a strong doubt that they would change their way of life. But when I started to see small things start to change within the Remnant, I began to keep myself open-minded. I began to feel more of the willingness to support the peace. I think the recent action by Senator Forte aimed toward me regarding the Morishim Amendments threw me off track, what he did was made me feel confused. A part of me wanted the New Republic to finish off the Remnant. Another part wants me to support the peace in hopes of being able to change the Remnant."

The Senator decided to be direct and honest with the Calibop, because he believed this would be the best approach to resolve and clear up the issues the Senator might have toward the Remnant. "Perhaps you are right, Chief of State. Perhaps it is a lot easier to change the Remnant without pointing our weapons toward them. Our most effective weapon right now should be diplomacy. You are our leader, and we should be following your example. If we can truly change the Remnant, then the galaxy will be in a much better shape." Tremaine would stop speaking, waiting to see how Ponc would respond to this.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Lunch with the Chief of State (Meeting of Gavrisom and Fowlkes)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz