MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Saturday
3:32 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » Out of Character » Requesting a 'Fake' Force Cult
Requesting a 'Fake' Force Cult
Rath-DeschainDate: Wednesday, 07 Jul 2010, 5:21 AM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Jace, you and I spoke briefly about this prior to the official request. I'll have pictures of said people up when possible and I'll play out the interviews, I just wanted to get the request up ahead of time.

Request is as follows, listed by code name and followed by Force power to be assigned. Fakeries of said powers will be explained during the 'interview' posts.

Cronus- lightning
Hermes- speed
Hades- choke
Athena- jump
Zeus- protect

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

OrionKarathDate: Wednesday, 07 Jul 2010, 10:48 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: Administrators
Well, here's the thing...Jace isn't the ONLY Manager, and he being the only Manager you have spoken to on this, seems a bit confused. While knowing your codenames for various Force powers is great...it still doesn't tell men anything important about this request related to it getting approved. I'm sorry, but while some groups may go with it, it is improbable that any request will be approved that involved everything being explained in later posts...ESPECIALLY, when it comes to the Force, or even forgery of the Force. Now, with that said, and sorry if I seem to be coming down hard on you, I'll need a detailed explaination here how this is going to work AND how you're going to find the followers.

Orion Karath
Manager from June 2009 to Present, Administrator from December 2011 to Present
My posts here, pre-2009 archives here

Jace_VaritekDate: Wednesday, 07 Jul 2010, 11:52 PM | Message # 3
Generalissimo
Awards: 4
In fairness to Drasek, I'm sure he didn't mean to leave you out, Orion. That said though, I have to agree that how the Force powers are being faked the crux of this request, more so than the fake Force powers in principle. Even this might not need to be requested, though, if it's something reasonable like how Gemmell and Kolbrun have used emitters in their sleeves to fake Force lightning. All the same though, it'd probably be best to post how they're being faked here just in case. That and, as Orion says, where the followers come from. It doesn't need to be too detailed—the details can come in a later post. But something that would give us a general understanding would be helpful.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

OrionKarathDate: Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 0:04 AM | Message # 4
Lieutenant general
I don't mean to come off as strongly as I did about it...just a bit frustrating on my end of judgement when all this post amoutns to is "Hey, Jace, remember that thing about a fake Force Cult we talked about...is it ok, or what?" leaving me in the dark, and lost, trying to find my way through the proverbial china shop.

Orion Karath

OrionKarathDate: Friday, 16 Jul 2010, 0:10 AM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
Once you get back, and can give the details, we'll try to move on this request quickly.

Orion Karath

Rath-DeschainDate: Saturday, 24 Jul 2010, 9:10 AM | Message # 6
Colonel general
hey orion, didnmt mean to seem like i was leaving you outta the loop. i apologize for that.

when it comes to faking powers such as choke or lightning, refer to trioculus on wookieepedia who also used such forgeries. i don't recall quite how he faked the lightning offhand, but the choke was via sonic waves implanted in a glove.

for speed and jump, cybernetic muscle enhancements would suffice. they would have limits and the wear and tear on a user's body would be quite bad after a time, but the cult isn't designed to be permanant.

protect is a bit tricker, but with surgical implants, it would be possible to put a small deflection shield generator that would protect a single person inside the body, having it run off of power packs stashed aganst a leg or arm and changed as needed. it couldn't be too powerful, but enough to ward off a handful of blaster shots.

the cult primaries could be pulled from practically anywhere, but their job is to recruit followers. i'm not asking for a handout there.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Jace_VaritekDate: Monday, 26 Jul 2010, 9:23 PM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
I vote to DENY the cybernetic enhancements and surgically implanted shield generators, citing Rule 1.6. Also, with regard to personal shielding in particular, I quote from the novel Outbound Flight: "There's a fairly dense radiation quotient involved, plus high twist magnetic fields that turn out to be fairly nasty for living beings." I also cite, again, the "ion cannon rule" that I've mentioned before (the second paragraph of this post).

The rest of it seems reasonable enough. Just for the record though, I don't think I'll ever be convinced, personally, to consider any of the Jedi Prince books to be canon. I think it was Star Wars Insider 83 that listed "the villainy of Trioculus" to be one of the goofiest things from the Expanded Universe, right up there with Jaxxon the bunny and everything from the Star Wars Holiday Special. So, to come to the point, the fact that Trioculus faked Force Grip and Lightning is, to me, neither here nor there. But I'm still willing to APPROVE of these powers being faked because it does seem possible and, indeed, has been done already on two occasions that I know of in the RP—neither of which involving cybernetics or implants, incidentally. I'd like to avoid that if possible because I've always considered cybernetics to be kind of meretricious in an RP.

With regard to the Force Grip, however, a sonic emitter should indeed suffice, but be advised this will simply shoot a sonic wave in a person's direction rather than actually choking them. It seems more like a Force Push, really. Also, something glove-sized probably wouldn't be particularly powerful. The Imperial sonic blaster is larger, after all, but it doesn't seem very effective beyond close range.

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

Jace_VaritekDate: Friday, 30 Jul 2010, 10:56 PM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
What do you think, Orion?

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

OrionKarathDate: Monday, 02 Aug 2010, 3:30 PM | Message # 9
Lieutenant general
Since it has the stamp of approval with the epic rank plaque, I think I'm good with what you've come up with Jace. As a side note, considering your Nazi-like adherence to canon, it's frustrating with the random pieces of canon you don't recognize or at least try to deny the existence of, it's like that ex-con uncle no one in the family talks about, or that kid in your math class that sits behind you, that gets uncomfortably close and breathes heavily on your neck; you want to say something buts he special and starts fires or something.

Orion Karath

Jace_VaritekDate: Thursday, 12 Aug 2010, 12:50 PM | Message # 10
Generalissimo
It's not so random, the bits and pieces of canon that I disregard. I've prepared a handy guide for you, Orion. Basically, I don't consider it canon if it looks anything like this:

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

Jace_VaritekDate: Thursday, 12 Aug 2010, 1:09 PM | Message # 11
Generalissimo
Also:

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

Rath-DeschainDate: Saturday, 14 Aug 2010, 8:22 AM | Message # 12
Colonel general
Hold up now. I don't see how Moff Trachta isn't really canon. I read the info on him and he seems kinda like the Rommel of the Empire, so to speak. If you -aren't- considering him canon though, let me know, cause I'll totally use that picture for a certain character I have in mind.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Jace_VaritekDate: Saturday, 14 Aug 2010, 11:40 AM | Message # 13
Generalissimo
Actually, I agree that Trachta doesn't really belong with all those others. Certainly not with the likes of the Great Zorbak or Mount Sorrow. In truth, his story is kind of cool—God knows someone in the Empire should have taken a stand against the Sith who were running it into the ground. So yeah, his story is cool and his motives are reasonable. To be honest, I only included him there because I was running out of ridiculous pictures and, because he was a comic book character, they really did make him look cartoonishly evil. Also, I feel like cybernetics are somewhat overplayed in Star Wars—especially in the highest echelons of the Empire. I mean, Vader? Okay. But then there's Trachta, and one of Trachta's fellow conspirators, Grand Moff Bartam, was also a cyborg. Then there's Grand Admiral Teshik, Admiral Screed, Admiral Krennel, and probably many, many more. Some of these, like Trachta and certainly Teshik, have very interesting stories behind them. The others, to me, are kind of just regurgitations of an evil archetype. Certainly, when all of these characters are considered together, one wonders why cyborgs are disproportionately represented in the hierarchy of the Empire when they don't seem to be common in the general population.

Well, that was fun. But I digress.

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

OrionKarathDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 10:39 PM | Message # 14
Lieutenant general
Yea, I'd have to stand at Trachta too. As a side note, that was one of my favorite SW comics. And come on now, how can you not like the killer 3PO and weird, white, Las Vegas showgirl...snow queen person from Narnia...weird lady...girl...thing...?

Orion Karath

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » Out of Character » Requesting a 'Fake' Force Cult
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz