MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Sunday
11:08 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » Mission to Carratos (Subjugate and destroy)
Mission to Carratos
Rath-DeschainDate: Saturday, 25 Sep 2010, 2:10 PM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Users
Awards: 1
"Carratos."

It was more of a statement than a question, but the man standing next to Rath Deschain cleared his throat and answered, despite the lack of need.

"Yes, Inquisitor. Carratos, home of the Fallanassi, a religious order devoted to the White Current, also known as-"

"I've read the file, Captain. You don't need to parrot it to me. I take it they've become aware of the talk in the Senate concerning them. They have the sixty days, of course. I just want to make sure they adhere to it... and that is where we keep them honest."

The deck of the Venator-class destroyer thrummed beneath his feet. An antiquated vessel from the not-so-distant Clone Wars, the Purveyor of Justice was one of a handful that had been used by the former Republic Navy before the Empire came into place. Destined for a scrapheap in a number of years, Deschain had taken a liking to it and requisitioned it from one of the nearby systems for this particular mission. When he'd been asked why such a vessel was chosen, he'd simply replied, 'It brings back good memories.' It was an odd statement, but very few among the Inquisitors knew Deschain's former name. They knew he was one of the first Inquisitors and that he'd once been a Jedi Knight. Other than that, it was whispered only the Emperor and Vader knew who he was. A man of eccentricities,
his cloak was ringed with miniaturized holoprojectors to form a blackness to mask his face.

"Keep me informed, Captain. I'll be in my quarters."

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Message edited by Rath-Deschain - Saturday, 25 Sep 2010, 3:27 PM

Captain_HoltDate: Sunday, 26 Sep 2010, 9:50 PM | Message # 2
Sergeant
Awards: 2
"Why wasn't I informed?" Holt demanded, his voice calm, but tenuous, like a smoldering fuse. "Who is in command of that vessel?"

"It seems Inquisitor Deschain has requisitioned it, Sir," Lieutenant Thatch, a distinguished man and Holt's executive officer, said tentatively.

Holt's expression darkened. Damn Palpatine and his arrogant, religious thugs. As if Vader wasn't bad enough—the supposed "Dark Lord" with the temperament of a delinquent child, wandering from ship to ship with nothing better to do than to brood and to senselessly murder fine, experienced officers for the slightest errors—now the fleet had to deal with the Inquisitors, too. As Holt understood it, they were meant to hunt down the remaining Jedi, as well as Palpatine's other religious foes. He had never met an Inquisitor, and didn't much care to. But, he surmised, it was undoubtedly the presence of the Fallanassi fugitives on Carratos, below, that had brought Deschain here.

Holt didn't much care about the Fallanassi, or the Jedi for that matter. They were insurgents, yes, and they needed to be disposed of. But what concerned him more was the fact that the government of Carratos had done nothing to capture the fugitives and hand them over to Imperial custody. The planet, thus, was defying Imperial rule, and this could not be permitted. This was the reason that Holt had volunteered to take the Magnum to Carratos, where it and another Star Destroyer, the Rigorous, now sat poised to carry out the ultimatum that the Imperial Senate was expected to pass this week. They certainly didn't need Inquisitor Deschain to help them, Holt thought.

But what to do with the Inquisitor? A smart man would leave him be and let him go about his business. Holt was a smart man, to be sure, but he was also a confrontational one who believed that "there is no light without heat." Imbued with the confidence of a man who knows he is right, Holt was often seen as abrasive, even arrogant, and he might well have been considered intolerably so were it not for the fact that he generally delivered results. Still, his tendency to question the beliefs and assumptions of his peers—and, on occasion, his superiors—chafed many who weren't prepared to have their beliefs and assumptions questioned. As a result, Holt was well respected but not well liked, except among those who knew him best (which, fortunately, included the crew of the Magnum, especially Lieutenant Thatch, and, who knew, might soon include Inquisitor Deschain).

"Captain?"

"Yes," Holt said, his tone of voice more pacific now. "Hail the Purveyor of Justice," he instructed, "Bid the Inquisitor welcome to Carratos, and invite him to the Magnum to discuss strategy over dinner."

Thatch hesitated momentarily, knowing Holt well enough to know what he had in mind. He didn't like it, but he simply nodded and relayed the message.

Captain Gordon Holt
Star Destroyer Magnum

Rath-DeschainDate: Monday, 27 Sep 2010, 1:16 AM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Deschain had not been long in his rooms when the soft chime of a comm brought him back to full awareness. It would seem those whom he shard the system with; his fellow Imperials, had decided to speak with him. It was such a troublesome matter. He's hoped to avoid such things, but, alas, there were other parts of his duties aside from simply turning Jedi that needed to be done.

"Inquisitor, ah... Captain Holt of His Imperial Majesty's ship Magnum bids you welcome. He wishes to extend you an invitation for dinner aboard his vessel."

Deschain paused hardly a moment before accepting. It was a matter of state, after all, even this far out from the Core.

---

The shuttle bearing the Inquisitor departed the Purveyor of Justice, heading at a leisurely speed towards the Magnum as it transmitted the proper docking codes. On board, Deschain sat in his normal attire, perhaps more cleaned up and presentable than the battle-wear it normally was. Nobody could say Deschain wasn't a man of taste, but when he worked, he certainly didn't dress flamboyantly.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Captain_HoltDate: Tuesday, 28 Sep 2010, 2:38 AM | Message # 4
Sergeant
Nor would the Inquisitor receive a flamboyant reception, as some in his position might expect. Holt was on hand to greet him, of course, and had with him a pair of stormtroopers and, as was customary, the deck officer. But otherwise, the Magnum's hangar went about its business—maintenance crews went this way and that, occasionally sparing a glance at the shuttle as it landed and Deschain as he appeared, but then looking away. Occasionally, a squad of stormtroopers in sweats would jog through the hangar, and be similarly inattentive. The hum of equipment and occasional shouting of orders could be heard from the starfighter racks above as the TIE's were serviced, and announcements could be heard on the speaker now and then. Holt had decided, clearly, that business on his ship would not be interrupted by Deschain's presence on it, and this—subtle though it was, perhaps—made apparent his rather dim view of the Inquisitors (or rather, how he perceived the Inquisitors, having never met one. It might well be that Deschain could surprise him, and prove himself to be more, shall we say, temperate than the insufferable Lord Vader).

If Holt's opinion wasn't made clear enough now, however, it would be in a few moments. He greeted Deschain formally enough, saluting and introducing himself and the deck officer. He invited the Inquisitor to follow him on foot through the confines of the Star Destroyer and made as much conversation along the way that he needed to, and no more. He limited himself mostly to informative commentary about the Magnum, its crew and complement, and its mission on Carratos. It wasn't until a few moments later, however, when he and Deschain shared a turbolift on the rather long ascent up the superstructure that he became suddenly blunt. "You are welcome on the Magnum, of course," he told him, his hands clasped behind his back as he went on, "But I feel I must advise you that as Captain of this ship, the safety of its crew is my responsibility. If any of them are harmed without good cause, even by you, Inquisitor, I regard this as a crime—a crime that I will not abide." His tone of voice was not as defiant as his words would suggest; yes, there was some menace in his voice as there usually was, but he was, otherwise, completely calm (even though he surely had to know that Deschain, if he did possess the temperament of a Vader, would kill him here and now. Apparently, to Holt, his crew was worth his life, as were his principles. Surely there was something to be admired in this, not admonished).

Captain Gordon Holt
Star Destroyer Magnum

Rath-DeschainDate: Thursday, 30 Sep 2010, 4:48 AM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Upon his arrival, Deschain was rather silent, taking in the lack of a large welcoming committee. He returned the salute to Holt, but otherwise followed silently as the captain led him along the brief tour of the Magnum. Appearing disinterested, Deschain was actually digesting all the information he could that Holt was speaking, as well as forming his own opinion of the officer. It was during the turbolift ride that he was unable to prevent a smile coming to his lips, though Holt would be unable to see it.

As Holt finished speaking, Deschain regarded him for a long moment, considering his words carefully. "If you said I was truly welcome aboard the Magnum, Captain, I would call you a liar. You don't want me here any more than you'd want a rancor running loose on your decks. However... I admire your honesty and your candid nature. You speak your mind, Captain, without fear of repercussion, and that is how it should be. Rest assured, I will not place your crew in one iota of danger more than is necessary. If luck is with us, they will see no issues at all.

"I feel we will get along splendidly, Captain. In the meantime, I appreciate your council, your conversation... and your discretion."

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Captain_HoltDate: Wednesday, 13 Oct 2010, 9:07 PM | Message # 6
Sergeant
Holt didn't give or receive compliments well but, suffice to say, it seemed Inquisitor Deschain was a man he could work with. This suited the Captain well, not only because he would get to live, of course, or because, more importantly, his crew would also, but rather because Deschain was a man of reason—a trait tragically uncommon to most of Palpatine's enforcers—and, Holt assumed, would not waste his time or his troops for frivolous purposes. Indeed, he could work with Deschain. "I cannot assure you that my conversation will be to your taste, Inquisitor, but you will certainly have it," he said, "And my counsel, if you wish it, and certainly my discretion." The turbolift came to a halt, and its door hissed open. "This way, please," he nodded to Deschain and stepped into the corridor, "I have convened some of my officers."

An hour later they were all seated in the officer's mess, having made rather short work of a meal that one might expect to find on a Star Destroyer. It was nothing extravagant for, indeed, Holt did not abide extravagance on his ship. He did release a bottle of brandy for the occasion, however, although he did not drink himself. He was a bit of a puritan in this regard, who preferred to keep his mind limber. He hadn't said much himself during the dinner, preferring to listen to Deschain and the four other officers present discussing tactics, the situation on Carratos, and so on. Only occasionally would Holt speak up, often to gently correct one of his officers on a matter of history or politics or protocol, or to steer the conversation in a certain direction. But for the most part, he simply observed Deschain and took measure of the man.

Once they had all finished eating and lingered only over the brandy, Holt cleared his throat. "I suppose it wouldn't have been proper dinner conversation, but now that we're finished I propose we discuss what it is we intend to do in thirty days," he said, resting his elbows on the table and clasping his hands before him. "No one on Imperial Center seems to believe that Carratos will actually comply with the ultimatum," he went on, "I am told reliably by Admiral Corvus that the Ruling Council means to put in place a garrison and punitive tax measures that we are to enforce, but as far as capturing the Fallanassi and their collaborators, it seems that will be up to us."

"That, of course, will be largely up to Inquisitor Deschain," he said, glancing at the Inquisitor, "Although I should expect to confer with you on this. But in the meantime, gentlemen, until the thirty days are up we are under orders to use only platoon-sized forces for police actions only. Inquisitor, what are your thoughts?"

Captain Gordon Holt
Star Destroyer Magnum

Rath-DeschainDate: Thursday, 14 Oct 2010, 4:56 AM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Deschain did not partake of the drink, and still had yet to lower either the hood or the holomask he affected as part of his image. Holt might not be able to discern much easily of the man, for he spoke little, preferring instead to listen to the comments of the officers and take stock of the situation. After all, they'd been here longer and had more experience in this particular matter. Finally though, the conversation came to the point.

"A garrison is simply a show of force, Captain. Tax measures? A trifle. If they truly have the Fallanassi hidden, placing a garrison on the planet will only serve to harm our brave men as they fall to the powers of the Force. This is not to say they are weak; no. But the comparison is likened to a child fighting an adult. Yes, blasters will serve us in numbers, but next to the Force... they are insignificant. As you said, Captain, you do not wish to see men harmed.

"Platoon sized forces for police actions are acceptable. Unfortunately, the Fallanassi are more than likely going to lie low, which binds our hands. Therefore, gentlemen... we are going to create the need for a police action and draw the Fallanassi out to help the good people of Carratos. Two birds with one stone. I trust none of you are overly attached to this world, yes?"

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Captain_HoltDate: Friday, 15 Oct 2010, 3:03 AM | Message # 8
Sergeant
Holt frowned at the phrase "a child fighting an adult" used to liken his troops combating a Force user, and something became present in his eyes that hadn't been there a moment before—something unpleasant that hinted at some violence within him. This conversation, for him, was no longer about Carratos. It would be for another moment, perhaps, but now it would fast become something of a spar. Deschain would no doubt sense it coming, too. Indeed, Holt was a rather interesting one, as far as a Force user could sense; so calm and collected, and yet with a subtle rage that seemed always to simmer inside of him. Turn up the heat just slightly, and it would begin to boil.

He cleared his throat. "No," he said. Indeed, he certainly had no love for Carratos. He had a feeling he knew what the Inquisitor had in mind, too, and it was not unreasonable. The Fallanassi had to be pulled out of hiding somehow, though whether a religious order that believed in "following only one's own desires" would rise to the aid of others in need was an open question. If they were really concerned for the people of Carratos, Holt supposed, they would have left the planet. But it was worth a try. "What did you have in mind?" Holt asked.

Captain Gordon Holt
Star Destroyer Magnum

Rath-DeschainDate: Friday, 15 Oct 2010, 8:00 AM | Message # 9
Colonel general
"When this is all said and done, Captain, nobody is going to care who fired the first shot. Nonetheless, the bleeding hearts of the Senate in the forms of Cerra, Vanden and likely Fowlkes and Thanatos, are sure to go over this with a fine-toothed comb. As such, we must cover our initial tracks well. As you stated, we are authorized platoon-sized elements of stormtroopers. Therefore, we will land an initial element and utilize them in patrol of one of the major cities under the cause of keeping the peace and ensuring no Fallanassi interferes with the running of the government.

"A second group, handpicked by you, will act as undercover commandos to stir up the population. Make the local security forces appear bumbling and incite trouble where possible, but keeping themselves at as low risk as they can. I shall be the final element. I will land undercover of one of your varied shuttles and slip out to use the Force exactly in a manner the Fallanassi are said to do: influence the minds of the people. We will, in affect, if it goes well, cause the need for martial law to be declared... if we are lucky, we can even pin it on Separatist sympathizers, which will give you all the force you need to truly lock the miserable planet down.

"From there, my good Captain... the Fallanassi are sure to make themselves known, whereupon we will set upon them with the swift justice of the Empire... and Captain Gordon Holt will go down in the Holonet and the Imperial records as being the Hero of the Carratos Campaign, an award I shall recommend you for myself. As for me... I will never have been here and I certainly never existed, of course."

Deschain smiled behind the mask. Holt was an excellent soldier and his career was only likely to go upwards. Perhaps one day, the man would even make Admiral.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Captain_HoltDate: Friday, 15 Oct 2010, 2:07 PM | Message # 10
Sergeant
It was not unreasonable to assume that Holt would have a fine career, but for one thing; the Captain's incorrigible habit of being insolent to his superiors. That, and, as he now explained to Deschain, "I have no desire for recognition." It was true—recognition meant more parties on Imperial Center to suffer through. No, his place was on the Magnum, as far from Imperial Center as possible (even Carratos was too close for his taste). "And," he went on, "having devised this plan, it is only right that you have the credit for it." What he meant, of course, was the responsibility for it. "However, I have some concerns." As did the others in the room, clearly; Deschain's plan had been received with an uneasy silence. All of the brandy was finished very quickly.

"First," Holt said, "I would not want you to be under the misapprehension that this is the Destabilization Branch, Inquisitor. A Star Destroyer is not intended for subtlety; my troops are marines, not 'operatives.' I'm afraid they aren't trained for the purposes you have in mind. I will provide them to you, of course, but I suspect you'll need to command them personally, for what you have in mind. But also, Inquisitor, with all due respect I must question the necessity of this subterfuge. In a matter of days we will have 'any and all means necessary' at our disposal. All will be permitted, and we won't need 'excuses.' I can assure you, also, that the Fallanassi aren't going to escape in that time." There was a murmur of agreement in the room. "Is there a compelling reason why we must take such... unorthodox measures?" he asked Deschain.

Left unsaid was the fact that the ultimatum had been suggested by Emperor Palpatine himself. Holt didn't want to be famous for anything, but certainly didn't want to be famous for defying the Senate and the Emperor.

Captain Gordon Holt
Star Destroyer Magnum

Message edited by Captain_Holt - Friday, 15 Oct 2010, 2:10 PM

Rath-DeschainDate: Monday, 18 Oct 2010, 0:41 AM | Message # 11
Colonel general
"Unorthodox... Perhaps, Captain, I am at a fault, having been away from the true battlefield for so long and operating in the shadows that I no longer see the clearer options outside of them. Carratos, as you know, is heavily urbanized. However, outside these urban areas exist a number of natural resources and construction plants. If we take, as you put it, unorthodox measures, we may do more than simply hand over a ragtag group of Force-users to the Emperor: we may very well hand him a planet with its production areas intact and still useful.

"If instead we approach this with the intent to smash, we are likely to loose a worker population and valuable resources. The war is not over in my eyes, until the last Separatist and Jedi have fallen. A matter of days though... has time passed so quickly? If it is truly down to such a small margin, then I shall simply wait until the clear is given and then we can simply fall upon them."

Deschain sat back, feeling his throat rather dry. He was never much of a speaker, after all, preferring actions to words.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » Mission to Carratos (Subjugate and destroy)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz