MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Sunday
11:47 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » The Black Dust Tavern
The Black Dust Tavern
Commander_TothDate: Monday, 11 Oct 2010, 3:34 AM | Message # 1
Private
Group: Users
Awards: 0
"It was a disaster, is what it was!" The man, realizing too late that he'd been too loud, promptly buried himself in his much needed beer.

Alastair Toth, seated opposite him in the booth, made a slow, deliberate glance about the Black Dust Tavern, seeing if anyone had noticed and, if they had, meeting their glares with a mean one of his own until they were shamed into looking away. Then he took a drink of his own beer, and sighed. "I need details, Besh," he said grimly, "What happened?"

"I lost half a squadron is what happened," Besh told him. He was quieter this time, but no less upset—with himself, more than Toth. He was an older man, dressed in a nondescript flight suit. If this didn't make apparent his profession, his greasy flight gloves surely would. He was a pilot, and he talked like one. "Three fighters vaped, including one of the StarHammers, Toth. Another one missing, presumed vaped," he explained, "We barely made it back to Socorro, and we had to ditch one of the Toscans. Seven fighters is all I got now, Toth, and they all need work. Bronze squadron isn't going to be flying anytime soon."

"Who's missing?" Toth said, simply.

"Fane," Besh said, his eyes not leaving his mug. "We were pulling out—we were all pulling out, Bronze, Blue, whatever was left of Green—but Fane kept on a GAT too long. We couldn't cover her, down she went."

Toth closed his eyes as if in pain, and squeezed his mechanical left hand into a fist. He knew all too well what crashing a starfighter was like; it's what had cost him his arm and almost his life. He didn't envy Fane, and he felt a moment of profound guilt when he noticed that he wasn't sure whether he hoped she had survived the crash—if she had, she could be horribly injured as he had been, and worse, could be tortured in Imperial custody. As a friend, he did not wish this on her. As a leader of this resistance cell, however, he also had to consider whether, under torture, she would tell the Imperials about them. He hated having to be so cold, so cynical. Is this what this war is turning me into? he wondered.

He sighed. "Do you think she survived?" he asked.

"I don't know," Besh said, "it's possible. If anyone could bring a Toscan down in one piece, it's Fane." There was a long, pensive silence. Both of them were thinking the same thing, and both of them hated it. "She wouldn't talk," Besh said, eventually, "I don't think she would."

"All the same," Toth said, "We need to get her back."

"Get her back?" Besh said, incredulous. Toth didn't answer. "She's dead, Toth, or might as well be."

"Talus is wooded," Toth said, not sounding entirely convinced himself, "She could have put down in the trees and found cover before the Imperials found her."

"A lot of 'ifs' there, Commander," Besh said, then taking a swig of his beer and setting the mug down again. "And I don't know how you'd propose to 'get her back,'" he went on, "This mission was a disaster. We lost friends on this one, Toth. We lost credibility. Blue and Green squadrons aren't going to help us again. We are On. Our. Own."

"Then we'll do it on our own if we have to," Toth told him, crossing his arms defiantly over his chest.

"Look, Toth, if she was going to talk, she would have talked already. And if she didn't talk, she'd be dead."

"It's not just about whether she talked," Toth admonished him, having to remind himself, now, not to raise his voice. "If there's any chance she's alive," he said, "We owe it to her to get her back if we can." He left one thing unsaid: We don't leave people behind. If Besh, in his current, fragile state of mind heard that phrase from Toth, it'd probably come to a fight right here, right now. But he didn't blame Besh for what happened as much as Besh apparently did—he was a good pilot, and Toth knew that he wouldn't have pulled out unless he had to. "Look," Toth said, "Let's forget it for now. Rest up, and we'll figure this out. The fighters need work, as you said, and I have to be on Nar Shaddaa in two days anyway. We have time to put a plan together."

Besh simply nodded, then raised an eyebrow. "Nar Shaddaa?" he asked, "Why?"

"I'm picking up a YV-929 from a dealer there," he said, "If all goes to plan, that is."

"Do they ever?" Besh muttered, bitterly. "You need me with you?"

"No, it's fine. I'll take Wugs or Jenth. Just rest up, get the fighters back together and keep an eye and ear out while we're gone, huh?"

"Okay," Besh said. He ran a hand through his graying hair as he slid out of the booth and stood. He dropped a few credits on the table, nodded to Toth, and made his way to the door. Once he'd gone, the Commander sighed. Besh was a good pilot, all right, and he'd been at it since before Toth was born. But he couldn't help but wonder if the old spacer was losing his nerve. Huh, Toth thought to himself as he took another drink of his beer, Besh losing his nerve, and me losing my conscience. What's next? Wugs losing his attitude? He hoped that none of these were true.

He would remain here for now, in the Black Dust Tavern, in case anyone wanted to contact him. Enough people on Socorro suspected what Toth was up to that those who were interested in joining the Socorran resistance knew that the man with the dreads and the mechanical arm was the one to talk to. And so he stayed here, for now, and ordered another drink.

Commander Alastair Toth
The Socorran Resistance

Message edited by Commander_Toth - Monday, 11 Oct 2010, 3:35 AM

Tarn_KaneDate: Monday, 11 Oct 2010, 7:01 AM | Message # 2
Private
Weather-beaten and more than a little agitated by the heat, Tarn walked into the Black Dust Tavern and patted himself down. Black dust fell from his side-buttoned jacket, clouded around him, then dispersed. He kicked black sand from his heavy leather and metal boots, then unwound the desert scarf from around his face. He'd still managed to become filthy, the only clean spots being where his sand goggles had protected his eyes, though now they rested on his forehead and pushed up his dirty white-blonde hair.
Socorro was unforgiving to newcomers, though Tarn seemed to have had the bad luck of arriving during a sandstorm. And subsequently, he'd had to conduct his small investigation while being whipped and torn at by black sand and rough winds.
"And they told me it was pretty here..." he mumbled to himself, rubbing the corners of his parched lips as he headed for the bar. He edged through the small crowd, feeling like all eyes were on him, the newcomer. It was all in his mind though, since his travels around the Doaba Badlands in the saddle of an old swoop had given him the appearance, if not the air, of a local. If anything, only the bulky back-pack he wore would give him away as a tourist, but nobody seemed interested anyway.

Moving aside as a man in pilots gear headed past him for the exit, Tarn bumped into someone just out of his field of vision, and heard the distinct clatter of a cup and the splash of liquid. He closed his eyes and silently cursed himself, then turned to apologise, coming face-to-chest with the patron he'd collided with.
"You owe me a drink, little man". Tarn looked up, into the angry eyes of another human. He stank of alcohol and sweat, and Tarn politely resisted the urge to cover his own face as the mans rancid breath washed over him.
"Accidents happen. Suggest you accept my apology and forget about it" Tarn said, his voice hoarse. He wasn't intimidated by the size of the other man, having been a head shorter than his peers for most of his life. But he didn't want to start something that would draw attention to him; unfortunately, his pride refused to allow him to simply pay the man and move along quietly.
"Yer little kark-wit..." the drunk snarled, grabbing Tarn by the collar and hoisting him from his feet. Tarn grabbed the mans wrists to relieve some of the pressure from his neck, and at the same time, a six-inch blade shot out from beneath his sleeve, the tip barely stopping short of the drunkard's throat.
"Put 'im down, Varos, an' get yer behind outta my cantina. Yer wife'll be waitin' an' I don't fancy explainin' to her why yer home late an' beaten up... again" the barman chided, scrubbing at a dirty glass with a washcloth, his lazy eye looking off into the distance while his good eye fixed the big man with a truly threatening glare.

Varos dropped Tarn back to his feet, and Tarn quickly concealed the blade in his hidden gauntlet. He'd kept them on as a precaution, the rest of his armour laying in his back-pack, tightly squashed in with his carbine. His side-arms, also concealed inside his jacket, would provide enough protection should things go south, but he doubted it would come to that. He wasn't on Socorro to start a fight, but to hopefully make himself part of something bigger.
"Usen'ye, di'kut" he muttered, as Varos made his way recklessly to the entrance, batting aside the other drinkers like they were little more than an irritating swarm of Chiru.
"An' you..." the barman snapped at Tarn, "shouldn' go startin' trouble. Not from round 'ere, are yer?"
"Neither are you, judging by that accent" Tarn shot back. "Ale. Nothing too strong, I'm riding". He slipped a few credit chips onto the bar, more than the ale was worth.
"Hmfph" the barman muttered, and set about fixing his drink. Tarn lost himself for a moment in the hazy image playing on the monitor behind the bar, a swoop race at the Agrilat Swamp on Corellia.
"Oi, yer change" the barman growled, snapping Tarn's attention away from the race. The barman was holding out his change, but Tarn shook his head, closed the barman's fingers over the credit chips, and sipped at his drink. It tasted foul, and it probably showed in his expression.
"Keep it. Tell me, friend, who's a guy gotta talk to, to find a man around here?" he asked, propping his elbows on the bar. He kept his voice low, but not conspicuous like the idiots in the holo's.
"Depends what yer lookin' for, business or..." the barman trailed off, his face twisting into something resembling a Hutt preparing to puke.
"I'm thinking dreadlocks" Tarn replied. "Purely business, of course".
"Dreadlocked guy over there, one armed fella" the barman said, pointing a thumb over his shoulder in the general direction of a man with dreads and a cybernetic arm. "Toth, I think's his name is".

Tarn nodded, and after the barman had ambled away and resumed his glass cleaning, tore himself from the swoop race on the monitor and headed toward Toth. Edging into the booth, he slipped off his backpack, and set it down on the floor with a thud, the contents clattering with a distinct metal-on-metal sound.
"You're a hard man to find, Alastair Toth" he said, sitting opposite the man on a still-warm seat - someone had been here recently - and extending a hand. The gloves he wore, fingerless and grey, were covered in dust. Realising the lack of courtesy in his gesture, Tarn removed the gloves, revealing strange symbolic tattoo's on his hands and knuckles; one, a stylised silhouette of a bird of some sort, apparently in mid-dive, was tattooed across the top of his left hand, the 'wings' and 'head' extending down his forefinger, ring finger, and middle finger, respectively. He fixed Toth with a piercing stare, his green eyes carrying a heavy weight for someone so young, and held out his hand again for a handshake.
"Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Tarn Kane, and I'm interested in helping you out".

Message edited by Tarn_Kane - Monday, 11 Oct 2010, 7:10 AM

TheshDate: Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010, 1:53 AM | Message # 3
Sergeant
Almost before the words were out of Kane's mouth, the Mandalorian would have his first opportunity to help Toth. Or, if he was smart, to stay out of it. A surly Weequay with a Herglic in tow approached the table, placed his hands upon it and leaned in close enough to smell his breath (or was it the Herglic? Perhaps its odor was as strong as it was). The Weequay glared at Kane and Toth one after the other, while the Herglic seemed mostly interested in Kane. The small human, no doubt, would seem to the Herglic an easy meal. Both of the humans, for that matter: the Herglic looked as though it could kill Kane or Toth simply by falling on them. For now, though, it remained balefully silent. The Weequay's scowl came to rest on Toth. "I know what you're up to," he said to him. "We all do, and we don't like it."

The Weequay's name was Thesh, or so he was known. A rising star in interstellar piracy, he was already wanted by the law under his real name in enough systems that it was understandable he went by an alias. Thesh operated mostly out of Socorro, and also the Tammuz Sector (and he had made it known that, now that the Empire had obliterated the pirate infrastructure on Roon, he intended to shove his way into the power vaccuum there). Among other pirates and smugglers, he was known for his temper, his cunning, and his ship, a modified Tartan-class patrol ship, the Bloodlust, that he insisted he had stolen from the Empire. If one were to doubt this, Thesh would be quick to point out that the Empire wouldn't confirm the story if it was true. Still, it was far more likely that he'd bought a damaged Tartan from a dealer, or found one.

But he was certainly speaking the truth now. For a smuggler, Toth didn't do a lot of smuggling. He brought in more cargo than he shipped out. A lot more. He was seen meeting with a lot of shady characters like Kane, and every time he left Socorro seemed to coincide with some insurgent attack on the Empire somewhere. Then there was The Mighty Monnok. Thesh wasn't the only one on Socorro who had been upset with that one. They all suspected that Toth was involved in it somehow, but no one said anything. No one wanted to bring the Empire down on them, especially not after seeing what happened at Roon.

"It's only a matter of time before the Empire catches on to you," Thesh told him. "Catches on to all of us. What say you pull your seditious spast someplace else, or I have a word with the Imperials about it? I'm sure I could come to an arrangement with them." The Herglic snarled, a strange sound when heard through a blowhole.

Thesh
Pirate, Captain of the Bloodlust

Commander_TothDate: Tuesday, 19 Oct 2010, 10:34 PM | Message # 4
Private
Toth shook his head minutely at Kane as Thesh approached them, discouraging the man from using on the Weequay any of the weapons that Toth knew he had—whether it be those blades of his, or the blaster or blasters he must have had inside his coat. Thesh was annoying, to be sure, but Toth didn't want a scene. Not here, where the bartender was already patient enough with him. Thesh must have known it, too, although the fact he was hiding behind a Herglic meant he was prepared for trouble if it happened. There was another reason though, too; Thesh could be useful to the resistance. Not that Toth would ever make common cause with his sort, but it was possible their interests could coincide. Thesh's holdings in the Tammuz Sector, for instance, could be in trouble now that the Empire had its sights on the Sector. Toth certainly wouldn't mind if Thesh and the Empire battled it out, and considering the Weequay's apparent swagger, it seemed likely to happen. In any case, Thesh was likely more useful alive than dead. As long as he could be talked down, that is.

"I doubt it," Toth said to him, "You bring the Empire here, it's going to clean house. Like you said, no one wants that." Thesh was right though; Toth presented himself as a smuggler, but it wasn't a part that came easily to him. He was something of an outsider on Socorro, despite the fact that he had been born here and raised among smugglers and pirates. His father, Laszlo Toth, had been a respected figure on Socorro in the decades before the Clone Wars. But the war changed everything for Alastair. Having been raised in a culture that despised authority, Alastair had been caught up in the anti-Republic sentiments of the Confederacy of Independent Systems. His father, however, and most smugglers had supported the Republic—they knew that an untameable bureaucracy like the Old Republic was, in fact, good for business; it meant more corruption, more bribes, more goods moved quietly through customs. "We live in the shadows," his father had told him, "And the Republic casts a long one." Not to mention that they wouldn't stand a chance with the Trade Federation running things.

Alastair had decried his father's cynicism and left Socorro to join the Confederacy as a pilot. He came back a few years later, having lost the war and his arm, but not his idealism (bruised though it was). Laszlo Toth, meanwhile, saw what the Republic had become and didn't like it. He made peace with his son, but was then shot and killed by one of his own lieutenants, a man not unlike Thesh, who suspected that Laszlo's newfound conscience would be bad for business. And it was, too. Alastair had won the ensuing power struggle for control of his father's organization, but the organization had only diminished since then. Now, all that remained were his father's old warehouses, ships, and just enough people to pilot them—people whose loyalty to Alastair was, by now, assured. This, of course, helped him to maintain a level of discretion as he worked to turn the organization into the Socorran resistance.

Not everyone was pleased with this, however, as Thesh had made abundantly clear. The Weequay was also right that with each broadcast of The Mighty Monnok, the Empire would trace the signal closer and closer to Neftali, the other planet in the system. It was indeed only a matter of time. Toth didn't want to bring the Empire down on his home, of course, but fighting the Empire had made him do a lot of things he didn't want to do. Still, he hadn't yet decided if he would move the Monnok somewhere else, or prepare an ambush for Imperial forces when they eventually came to shut it down. But Thesh wasn't about to make the decision for him. "Maybe you should be more concerned about the Tammuz Sector," Toth said, "I hear the Empire is eyeing Chuzalla like it's the next Roon."

As for Kane, he had already proven himself good in a fight. Discreet, too. Still, Toth would need to know more about him before he would welcome him into the organization. Imperial informants were everywhere, after all. There was nothing that implicated Toth or his people in the resistance—or at least, since Fane was shot down, nothing that he knew of—and he preferred to keep it that way.

Commander Alastair Toth
The Socorran Resistance

Tarn_KaneDate: Wednesday, 20 Oct 2010, 11:36 AM | Message # 5
Private
Kane registered the slight, barely noticeable head-shake from Toth, which was a pity, because once the Weequay had finished talking, he'd fantasized for a moment about prying open his skull like a can of beans and force-feeding him to his Herglic buddy.
He satisfied himself instead with staring up at the Herglic, maintaining eye contact with the ugly brute; which, considering he was a short man sitting down, and the Herglic was a huge hulk of a being, was no small feat.

He allowed Toth to say his piece, refraining from interrupting, though he thought he could see where Toth was going with his speech; he wanted the Weequay's allegiance, or at least a part of it. He'd been thinking the same thing himself, that the Weequay would make a more useful ally than enemy.
"The Imp's are crackin' down on pirate activity lately, and its just gonna get worse" he finally said, breaking eye contact with the Herglic to address the Weequay. "Used to run with a few of 'em, doing small time raids, just enough to keep things moving. 'Til the Empire got wind of it, that is" he recounted.
It was true, he had done a few jobs, with a band of Weequay pirates and guns-for-hire, almost a year ago. They'd hit small Imperial supply depots, nothing too extreme, just enough to keep their operation going. For Tarn Kane, it had meant he'd made enough credits to buy information on the whereabouts of his enslaved mother, though that hadn't proved very fruitful.

It then dawned on him who the Weeqay was; Thesh, a pirate famous for his temper, and supposedly the liberator of a Tartan-class cruiser from the Empire.
"Think the question is, Thesh... if you're so willing to put yourself in the Empire's crosshairs before you have to, are you gonna shoot first or watch as they pick apart everything you live for?"

Darwin_SkyDate: Saturday, 23 Oct 2010, 1:07 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant colonel
The newly-acquired YT-1300 light freighter would drop out of hyperspace into Socorro System, right in the orbit of the planet itself. "There it is. Socorro." Darwin would look at her out the corner of his right eye, wondering what she's thinking at the moment. They had travelled to Nar Shaddaa right before arriving at Socorro. They were there to purchase a new ship for themselves, despite Kaylie's objections, the one they had before were in a very bad shape. The three of them were lucky to get to Nar Shaddaa without the hyperdrive leaking out. Yes, they had Artie with them. No, he isn't a sentient being. Artie's an astromech droid officially known as R2-T3. Instead of selling the old ship, they took the good parts out and sold them so that purchasing a new ship would be a little easier.

Darwin and Kaylie had discussed about the trip to Socorro for quite a while now. Indeed, The Mighty Monnok were getting famous. They heard the broadcast, and it got Darwin interested. He had to use all of his contacts and Artie's search on the HoloNet to eventually find who was the real leader behind The Mighty Monnok. He found out it was a man named Commander Toth, a veteran of the Clone Wars. It was a hard information to retrieve, even for a Jedi. The pair had come to a conclusion: That they have a very limited choice, and allies were needed to combat the Galactic Empire. That's how they decided to come to Socorro. They came to attempt to ally with the Socorran Resistance. There were a time where a Jedi wouldn't ally with a Separatist at all unless that Jedi were to fall to the dark side. Obviously, the time's changing.

So far most people that openly oppose the Empire to his knowledge were mostly smugglers, pirates, Separatists, et cetera. Thus the reason for the limited choice. The YT-1300 went ahead and made a landing at the only spaceport on the planet known as Soco-Jarel Spaceport. Socorro was a smuggler haven, so he had to dress like one to avoid a lot of notice. He had put on a black pant, and a ragged white t-shirt with an old blue jacket with holes in them. There were combat boots and a belt to go along with. The lightsaber were hidden away inside an inside pocket of the right side of his jacket where there were no holes. The belt were there to hold a blaster, which means there would be a holster as well. A DH-17 blaster pistol were placed inside the holster, "Guard the ship, Artie." The astromech would reply with a series of beeping and chirping as it had stay put inside.

Before leaving the ship, he had ensured that Kaylie had to have a DH-17 blaster pistol with her as well. The Jedi didn't need the blaster as much as she does, the purpose of it would be more for appearance's sake. He would use it if he had to, but he was a Jedi and he relies on his lightsaber. Some time had passed before the pair would reach The Black Tavern. The planet were little hot for his taste, but he didn't mind. He had spent some time on Tatooine with Kaylie anyway. Before entering The Black Tavern, he'd look into Kaylie's eyes. "Be alert, there's a lot of people inside that place that are not to be trusted." His tone were serene, walking into the bar under the guise of a smuggler. However, everyone inside the bar could tell that he wasn't a local. Everyone could tell that he was an offworlder. The only other things they could tell were that Darwin and Kaylie were smuggling partners, and that they had never been to Socorro before.

Darwin took a few moments to look around the bar before deciding to approach the bartender at the counter. He'd immediately take out a few credits and slapped it on the counter, "No drinks, man. I'm here to do business with a fella by the name of Toth. Any chance he's around here?" Darwin had a Coruscanti accent, which may have arose some people's suspicions. The Jedi doubted it would attract a lot of attention unless someone knew him. There aren't many that know Darwin, those that do are mostly dead about a decade prior to the present day. "One-armed fella over there, yer be careful. He the one causin' trouble. I kno you ain't from round ere." The local accent was strongly recognized, as the Jedi nodded at the direction the bartender had pointed at.

The Jedi nodded at the bartender, smelling the alcohol from all over the bar. He turned around to look at Kaylie for a moment before turning his attention toward Commander Toth. Darwin couldn't approach the man, not yet. This guy seems to be in a middle of a situation with a Weequay and a Herglic. There were a Mandalorian in the midst as well, it looked like something that could have gotten out of hand pretty fast. For this reason alone, he'd sit down on the nearby stool. "We'd better wait for Toth to finish up with that business of his."

Message edited by Darwin_Sky - Saturday, 23 Oct 2010, 1:07 PM

Kaylie_WintersDate: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 4:30 AM | Message # 7
Lieutenant colonel
As Darwin changed his clothes to appear less Jedi-ish, Kaylie sat on the end of the bed and braided her hair back and tied it off with a piece of cording. The mousy brown locks had always been unruly and that was the only thing she could do to keep them out of her way. Idly she looked at the blaster pistol that he had laid next to her, and she tucked it into the back of her belt that held up her cargo pants and then slipped a light jacket over her tank top.

Kay followed Dar to the Tavern, though she wasn't saying much, if anything at all. Instead she was looking around, carefully, just observing the new and unfamiliar place. Once inside, she caught Darwin's glance and followed his gaze to the man that the bartender pointed at.

"Yeah." She muttered as she sat up onto a stool next to him. "Did I mention that I am really not sure about all of this, Dar? Something just doesn't seem right." Kay whispered to him. Then again, it could have just been the environment making her uncomfortable. Along with the reason they were there.

Lim-HejinDate: Monday, 25 Oct 2010, 0:33 AM | Message # 8
Lieutenant
"Arguing about the Empire doesn't do much to solve the fact that they are indeed cracking down."

The lazy voice of Lim Hejin floated from across the bar, where he and his primary crew sat in a rather large booth, sipping ales and appearing rather comfy, at least for a group of pirates and smugglers. Hejin was known in his own circles; he'd heard of Thesh, of course, few pirates hadn't. Hejin was rather amused by the angry sentient though. For Hejin, running things for Njon the Hutt was a primary job; piracy a secondary, and Hejin's ship was more than fast enough and well-armed enough to do the job.

"So why don't we all settle down; I'll buy a round of drinks and we can all relax. Sounds good."

Lim Hejin
Acquisitions Expert

TheshDate: Tuesday, 26 Oct 2010, 2:34 AM | Message # 9
Sergeant
"The Empire isn't taking anything from me," Thesh said impulsively to Kane, his nostrils flaring as he glared at the Mandalorian. The Weequay had fallen rather predictably into the mood that Kane had probably intended him to. Still, defiant though he was, it didn't necessarily mean he would fight the Empire, if that's what Kane and Toth had in mind. He would fight the Empire if he had to, of course, but only if he had to; he would rather make a deal. Toth had a point, though, that this didn't seem probable. But time would tell. In any case, Thesh was determined not to go the way of the Roon pirates, and it could be that it was he who would use them to his benefit. It was Thesh, after all, that had the goods on Toth and his operation. Sure, he could rat him out, but he could also blackmail him. So it seemed that it was in everyone's interest to keep each other alive. For now.

Except Hejin. Thesh's wrinkled face had softened for but a moment before he heard the smuggler's voice from across the bar. His expression hardened again, like a raisin in the sun. The Weequay stood deliberately from the table and turned around to face Hejin, even taking a few steps toward him. The Herglic was smart; it didn't turn its back on Toth and Kane, but did turn enough that it could watch Hejin and his crew also. "Do you live on Socorro, Lim?" Thesh asked him from across the room. His voice was deceptively calm. "Do you work here? No, you don't play in this league, peedunky. You're an errand boy. Tomorrow you'll be on Nal Hutta collecting your allowance. Easy for you to say we should 'all relax,' isn't it? Schutta, Lim. This doesn't concern you."

He looked back at Toth, well aware that he'd monopolized the attention of the room, and not caring. "This concerns me and you, Toth. And your friends out there in the badlands. You best watch yourself. This is not over." He glared menacingly from Toth to Kane for a moment, then turned abruptly and made his way to the front door. He gestured the Herglic to follow him, and with a parting snarl at the Mandalorian, he and Thesh were gone. The Weequay had more important matters to deal with at the moment. Toth's information was good; the word was indeed that the new Moff of the Tammuz Sector, Simon Levi, was planning to crack down on his operations on Chuzalla. That's where Thesh needed to be, bribing those he could, killing those he couldn't, doing favors here and there if need be. Maybe Moff Levi himself would come around if Thesh delivered something of value to him. Something like the location of The Mighty Monnok.

Or the Jedi fugitive that Thesh had no idea he had just turned his back on.

"Do you think I was intimidating back there?" the Herglic asked Thesh in Huttese as they walked down the black, earthen streets of Vakeyya, heading back to where the Bloodlust was waiting for them.

"You did fine," Thesh sighed.

"I don't know," the Herglic said, "Is it because of my size? You know I'm sensitive about my size."

"Shut up, Lawrence."

Thesh
Pirate, Captain of the Bloodlust

Darwin_SkyDate: Tuesday, 26 Oct 2010, 3:13 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant colonel
The Jedi looked at this smuggler named Hejin. He had never seen him before, but this is perfectly understandable. He was a Jedi that fought in the Clone Wars and had been on the run until this day. Darwin covering as a smuggler is different than actually being a smuggler. He doubted that any good smugglers would have known who he is because he had never been around a lot of people. The only person he had been actively interacting with the past decade is Kaylie. The Weequay seemed to have some problem with Hejin. It wasn't until Hejin spoke out the Weequay's name that he would recognize. Thesh was the infamous pirate that had been wanted in several systems. The stories he heard about Thesh was that he wasn't a typical pirate, and that wasn't a good thing. Perhaps it's a Weequay thing, but there's every reason for a lot of other pirates to be wary toward him.

Once he saw Thesh and his bodyguard, the Herglic, leave, Darwin would gesture for Kaylie to follow him. The Jedi would casually make his way toward the table where Toth and the Mandalorian was at. Both men would assume Darwin was simply a smuggler by the way he wears and the weapon that he carry. What they didn't know was that he had a lightsaber hidden behind the jacket and that he had the Force to assist him should a fight break out. The Jedi came to stand by the table between the Mandalorian and Commander Toth, keeping himself at a little distance from both men should something happen. "You fought for the Seps in the Clone Wars, didn't you?" His tone was very calm, Darwin didn't want to show both of them that he was a threat. With that question he had just asked a moment ago, it might sounded like one. Whether they're going to try and shoot him or not...he will find out in the next moment.

Commander_TothDate: Wednesday, 27 Oct 2010, 3:14 AM | Message # 11
Private
Toth shook his head as Thesh and his Herglic friend disappeared. The patrons of the Black Dust Tavern went back to their drinks, and a din of conversation resumed. So much for being inconspicuous, Toth thought to himself. "Sorry," he said to Kane with a shrug, "I guess I'm not too popular around here today. Thanks, though. I think you and I were thinking the same thing about Thesh." He reminded himself, then, not to say too much until he knew more about this person. "So, Tarn Kane," he said, snatching his beer mug as he leaned back in his seat, "Tell me about your—" It was then, just when he finally had a chance to talk to Kane, that Darwin approached the table. Toth regarded him with a suspicious glare. "I fought with the Separatists, yes," he said.

It was a small distinction, but an important one. Toth had never been comfortable being subordinate to the corporate bureaucrats and genocidal generals in charge of the Confederacy, especially when it became apparent later in the war that his father had been right about them—they were villains. He never fought for them, he fought with them. He fought for the Separatist cause, hiring himself to the Confederacy as a mercenary. "Big difference," some might say, "You still did what you were told and fought alongside them." Toth didn't have an answer for this, but it was still important to him and his pride that he had never been a member of the Confederacy or under the command of its leaders.

Commander Alastair Toth
The Socorran Resistance

Tarn_KaneDate: Wednesday, 27 Oct 2010, 12:05 PM | Message # 12
Private
Kane sat back in his seat, watching Thesh and, more importantly (to him, anyway), the Herglic he'd brought along as insurance, as they departed and the bar resumed its usual noise. Trouble had been averted, and the crowd had lost interest.
"I can't say I think his heart would be in it, but yes... better to have a chakaar like that with you, than against you" he confirmed, finally turning his attention back to Commander Toth. He noticed the abrupt change in conversation, and couldn't say he blamed the man; moments after his own arrival, Kane's presence before Toth had been joined by Thesh and his bodyguard, and just as Kane was preparing to honestly answer some questions, presumably about his stance and intentions, another voice interrupted them.

He tensed; the question, as innocently as it had been posed, could still have serious ramifications even this long after the Clone Wars. Though Toth answered it with an air of finality, he sensed the newcomer would drag the subject in a direction that the Commander would find uncomfortable, and in silence, Kane slid a finger up the cuff of his jacket and manually activated his hidden gauntlet blaster, as a precaution. It was times like this he missed his helmet, for the concealement factor among other things.
"Lot of people fought for and with the Seps during the Clone Wars. Nowadays, a lot more wish they had" he interjected, giving the newcomer a cursory glance. It wasn't a betrayal of his own feelings; he'd had the chace to fight for the CIS along with the Death Watch, but ultimately he'd chosen to support his mother and father, and their extended family of Clone soldiers. Despite his youth at the time, once he'd made that decision, he'd stuck to it.
Thinking of his mother brought on a pang of hurt, something he tried his best to conceal from his face. He'd been doing that a lot lately, and his refusal to let his emotions show was starting to affect his mind. He was no longer sure if he fought the Empire to find his mother, or if he fought them just to feel something.

"This conversation is getting awfully crowded" he muttered to Toth, a hint that he didn't trust the newcomer. Why, he didn't know, but he just had a bad feeling about him.

Darwin_SkyDate: Wednesday, 27 Oct 2010, 6:05 PM | Message # 13
Lieutenant colonel
The Jedi would nod at confirmation of Toth's allegiance with the CIS during the Clone Wars. Then also decided to send out another nod at Kane for confirming that a lot more people had wished that they were fighting for the Separatists. What ifs doesn't count, especially not during this period of time where the galaxy's running by the Empire. Darwin watched Toth for a moment there, subtlety keeping Kaylie at a distance. That was when he began to speak, "Indeed, you are correct. A lot more had wished the Separatists had won the war. Unfortunately, I fought alongside the Grand Army of the Republic until I was betrayed by the clones."

A moment after he mentioned that he fought for the Republic and that the clones tried to kill him as a result of Order 66, he had realized he probably shouldn't have. But seeing as Toth is an enemy of the Empire, maybe he would be sympathetic to Jedi fugitives. "When that happened, I had been wondering for a while if I had been fighting for the wrong side all along." Darwin would shook his head lightly, shaking the past off. He went on to continue the calm tone, "Anyway, enough about the past. Darwin Sky at your service. I am here because I am interested in joining your resistance. I believe I may be of use to your men. The Jedi continued to keep a calm stance, despite a possibility that they are going to attempt to shoot him. He was really there to show himself as an ally, and not as an enemy.

Kaylie_WintersDate: Thursday, 28 Oct 2010, 7:16 PM | Message # 14
Lieutenant colonel
Kaylie, instead of going over to the table, lingered near to the bar. Idly, she fiddled with some sort of drink that apparently required a tiny umbrella in it before it could even be served. Even as she toyed with the tiny paper and wood novelty, she would toss a glance over her shoulder towards Darwin. While she knew that he wouldn't need her for anything, she was still there none the less. Just in case.

In fact, she still was unsure why he had wanted her to come along. It was very likely that she could have stayed on the ship, but she was sure that there was a reason for everything. The men were talking quietly enough that she couldn't hear, nor was she sure that she wanted to hear them. Backup. Yes. That had to have been what she was there for. Her shooting skills, while not the greatest, could possibly come in handy.

She turned her attention back to the bar and the little (untouched, aside from the umbrella) drink in front of her. Between her fingers she twirled the handle of the umbrella as she watched the paper spin in front of her and waited.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » The Black Dust Tavern
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz