MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Sunday
4:12 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » The 220-Ton Powder Keg
The 220-Ton Powder Keg
Daneira_FarrisDate: Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 4:31 AM | Message # 16
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Awards: 0
"Oh. So you've been growing an herb garden, then?" Dani asked Varitek as she finally slid her hand from Karth's. The woman stood and stretched her legs, which had been curled up on the bench beneath her the entire time they had been eating breakfast. "I have something that will help you sleep, if you want one. A doctor prescribed them to me about a year ago...." It was just an offer, and she didn't explain any further as to why she had seen a doctor in the first place, but if they were to ask the physician had been a client of hers. Dani shrugged and started to clean up what dishes they weren't using.

"I'll go find out where we are." She said, pausing briefly before she looked between the two. Instead of saying anything else, she disappeared down the corridor from the galley. Once on the bridge, Daneira dropped down in the all too familiar pilots seat and checked a few things on the console. Sure enough, the indicator was on, and that caused her to frown slightly. Instead of worrying about it, she turned her attention to the navigation system to see where abouts they were. Sullust? Sure, Sullust could do. They would be able to find the part needed for Caecelia, and stock up some better provisions at least. And hopefully they wouldn't find any trouble.

Dani leaned back in her seat briefly, her mind going over the events of the last twenty four hours. She needed to check with Karth about Sullust, but she didn't care to go back in there at the moment. So far, she had managed to tame her temper when it came to Jace, and she wanted to continue that streak, as short as it was.

Message edited by Daneira_Farris - Thursday, 20 Sep 2012, 2:14 PM

Jace_VaritekDate: Monday, 24 Sep 2012, 3:31 PM | Message # 17
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
Jace genuinely didn't understand the "herb garden" remark. For all Daneira knew, Jace honestly didn't sleep well on ships. He wondered to himself if she accused everyone who didn't sleep well on ships of doing drugs. He smiled, then put the thought out of his mind. Besides, herb-based drugs weren't common—not something a "spacer" (to use the other definition of the word) would stoop to. Spices and synthetics—especially synthetic spices—would be Jace's drug of choice, if indeed he partook in such things.

He was too tired for a retort, however. "Thanks," he said to her offer for a sleep aid, "but I think I'll just try to turn in. Wake me up when we get where we're going, okay?" He stood, stretched, yawned, and left the room.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Karth_DeQoraDate: Monday, 24 Sep 2012, 7:52 PM | Message # 18
Colonel general
Awards: 1
The joke hadn't escaped Karth, and it nearly cost him his life when he chuckled, and a piece of food lodged itself in his throat. His eyes widened, Karth leaped out of the chair and made for the sink. Gasping for air, he finally managed to swallow the murderous hunk of doughy bread, eyeing the retreating Jace warily. It was one thing to be irritable in the morning, but to have been wandering the ship all night like he had...

After managing down the rather-large final bite, he nodded quietly to Jace. While he had a small inkling of doubt about Varitek, which was only compounded by his all-too-familiar behavior, the man had been nothing but courteous up to this point. Hells, Karth hadn't spoken to much of anyone in the past ten years, and Varitek had been there the night previous to hear his sob story. Then, of course, the night had ended on a far better note. Fully rested (for once) and well-fed, De'Qora quickly and quietly finished the dishes before ambling his way up to the Caecelia's cockpit, collapsing into the co-pilot's chair and rubbing the weariness from his eyes.

"So? We anywhere close to a civilized planet?"

Man, Myth, Administrative God. Also plays a mean kazoo.
Jace Varitek: In Northern California we just have gangs of vigilante interior decorators.

Daneira_FarrisDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 5:21 AM | Message # 19
Lieutenant
"Is Sullist civilized? I've never been there." Dani also wasn't sure what Karth meant by civilized, or the level of civility, really. At the moment though, the former Jedi was laying under the console in front of the pilots seat. A soft beeping noise was coming from beneath, followed by a groan. She had hoped it was just a glitch in the wiring again, but it wasn't. Jace had been right, and she hated when he was right. "Looks like we'll need that part after all." Dani finally said, her voice muffled a bit.

A couple of aggravated slams later, she pulled herself from beneath the console and looked up at Karth, her blue-grey eyes shining some. "We should be able to get the part there at least. Some more provisions too." Dani reached up and pushed her silken raven locks back from her face before she grabbed onto the arm of the pilots seat and pulled herself to her feet. She dropped down into the seat and looked over at Karth. "So we need to talk about last night don't we?" Her gaze found his, and she smiled at him warmly.

"It will be a few hours before we reach Sullust. Should give Varitek some time to rest at least." Daneira finally tire her gaze from him and look to the console. "Two, maybe." Dani bit her lower lip absently as she looked down at the console. She didn't really need to, but she wasn't sure what else to say.

Karth_DeQoraDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 4:49 PM | Message # 20
Colonel general
"It's... corporate," Karth said at length, struggling to remember any details of his previous visits to the volcanic planet. He recalled the smell, which he could only assume was super-heated gases, and the sweltering heat. He also remembered that SoroSuub seemed to own the entire damned planet. And finally, he remembered beating a hasty escape after the local authorities had busted him doing some of Vallo's dirty work, but that had been sorted... or so he hoped. Yet another snippet from a life long past, one that he'd rather forget. "And hot as the nine hells, but I'm sure you knew that. Just keep your head down and you'll get left alone."

He flinched, however slightly, when she slammed the console shut and expressed her concerns. "Tons of ship parts on Sullust, trust me there," he replied. "I know a few dealers we could contact, shouldn't be long before we find the part you need."

His skin blanched when she brought up the previous night, and for some reason he felt a slight twist in his gut. It wasn't regret, nor fear, rather just.. nervousness. Some part of him had been meaning to talk about it as well; but the other half of him had hoped to gloss over the potential ramifications of what had happened. "Yeah, I guess we do..." his voice trailed off, Karth finding himself unable to properly vocalize his thoughts. Last night had been wonderful for him, a revelation and had triggered a resurgence of his will to actually live for today, rather than yesterday. But they had more than distance between them that needed fixing; and though Karth could comfortably say that he loved her, and that she loved him, one night together wasn't about to completely build a bridge over that gap.

"Maybe we should just leave him on the ship," he mumbled, realizing that discussing Varitek was just deflecting the issue at hand. With a heavy sigh, Karth looked into her eyes, searching for any twinge of regret or lack of surety. "Listen, I need you to know. Last night was... amazing." Now there was the understatement of the century. "But if you think we're moving, I don't know, too fast.."

Jace Varitek: In Northern California we just have gangs of vigilante interior decorators.

Daneira_FarrisDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 5:33 PM | Message # 21
Lieutenant
As she saw the emotion, and felt the emotion, cross his face, Daneira panicked. "Slim, no....no no...." She said quickly. In an easy and swift movement, she was out of the pilots seat and in his lap. Her fingertips grazed his face lightly, as if she was memorizing every curve, every line of his skin. "It's not too fast." She finally said, her voice barely a whisper as she leaned in and rested her forehead against his. "I am so grateful for every second, I have been since the moment I realized it was you. No worries and no regrets, alright?"

She had her hands behind his head, fingers in his hair and grazing his spine. "We have a future, Slim. Finally. And ten years to make up for. I know that is a lot of healing, but it is worth it. And it is already starting." Daneira murmured to him. She would pull back only slightly and look him right in the eyes. He would remember that was the person she was; direct and honest. She had never once lied to him and she wouldn't start now. It wasn't worth it, and when you loved someone, you didn't do things like that.

"I didn't mean it would be a bad talk, just that....we should decide what we're going to do. And are we going to tell Varitek? I don't want to sneak around...with anyone. I love you and I don't care who knows it." They had snuck around for years. The only person they hadn't had to hide their relationship around was Crass, and she was almost sure he was long since dead. The thought had occurred to her that two Jedi together in this galaxy, could be a very dangerous thing.

Karth_DeQoraDate: Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012, 8:09 PM | Message # 22
Colonel general
His next words caught in his throat, held back by the sudden flood of relief he felt wash over him with her words. Her forehead rested against his, and he drank in her scent, her breath, everything. A low, contented hum echoed in the back of his throat, his eyes closed as he takes in the sensation of being close to her. Every moment since he'd woken up had been akin to walking in a dream. He'd repeated this dream in a constant, painful subconscious slideshow for the past ten years, often there would be mornings where he could have sworn the smell of her lingered on his pillows, but it was simply false hope. But not now, this was very real, and as her hands gently grazed at his neck, Karth gave her a genuine, wide smile.

"We have time now," he finally said, his arms winding around the small of her back and drawing Dani closer to him, his lips searching for hers. Some deep, self-pitying part of his mind kept jabbing at him, attempting to convince him this was all a dream, all in his head. That he was really back on Kolatill, in that shit-hole apartment, grieving for all that he had lost. But then she looked into his eyes with her wondrous, crystalline own, and everything seemed so clear then. Issues? Yes, they had them. Talking that needed doing? That as well. But whatever it was, it wouldn't ever trump the silent pact they'd forged here and now.

"I love you too," he whispered against her. "And fuck Varitek, I don't care if he knows. Hells, I've never cared less about what he thought than I do right now," he beamed, kissing her again and shutting tight his eyes.

She was there when he opened them again.

Daneira_FarrisDate: Wednesday, 26 Sep 2012, 8:12 AM | Message # 23
Lieutenant
She had returned his kisses just as deeply with an equal fervor. A pause and a contented sigh later brought a smile to her face. "I'm still here." Dani whispered when she saw him close and reopen his eyes, and noted the look in his dark orbs. "I'm not going anywhere. Never again." She reassured him gently. It was the truth, and she would do everything in her power to keep that vow. A few moments later, Dani would straighten up slightly but stay seated in his lap.

Dani ran her fingers through his hair, smoothing the still slightly mussed locks. There was a look of sheer adoration in her eyes, but while she was enjoying the moment, she knew that they needed to get things done. Dani had to keep reminding herself that they had time, especially after the ship repairs were made.

"So, Sullust. We'll make it quick, I hope. I can get the part installed within the day,probably." She had never replaced something like that, but hopefully it wouldn't be hard, especially with help. "But we could probably do that after we get off the planet. It's an inside job, I think." Her gaze sought out Karths again and she smiled a bit. "And yeah, I think we should leave him here too. Maybe he can catch some sleep while the ship is still. He looks absolutely wrecked."

Karth_DeQoraDate: Thursday, 27 Sep 2012, 5:01 PM | Message # 24
Colonel general
"It's funny," he commented, "-if I'd known this would happen back on Kolatill, I'd have brought some spare parts. Hells, I probably had a hundred hyperwave transwhatsits." Yes, this man was actually successfully masquerading as a used ship parts salesman. His hand sliding up the small of her back for a moment, resting just at the curve, before she finally got to her feet. It was a subtle motion, but the way she slid off his lap caused Karth to involuntarily groan in what seemed to be protest, but he allowed her to stand. If it were up to him, they probably would still be in bed, but this problem couldn't be ignored.

Karth remained in the seat for a moment longer, watching as she left the cockpit, his eyes lingering on the familiar sway of her hips. Once Dani was gone, and De'Qora was all alone, he finally let out the haggard sigh he had been withholding, her knee had been in a slightly unfortunate location. "Ow," he choked out between pained breaths. Sighing, the former Jedi eventually decided to retreat back to his room, hoping that an old friend was still down there, beneath the surface of Sullust.

"Eugh, this heat," he deadpanned as he lumbered down the Caecelia's loading ramp, scratching nervously at his stubble as Karth looked around for any sign of recognition by the starport authorities. That business was years ago, surely they'd forgotten about it now, or so he hoped. Everything seemed quiet, for now. Grinning at some apparent success, he turned to Dani and cocked his head in the direction of the nearest turbolift. "Welcome to Byllurun, population: SoroSuub." He chuckled at his own joke, his hand reaching down beneath his cloak just to double-check and ensure his lightsaber was hooked to his belt, and that his blaster was safely holstered at his left hip. They were.

Daneira_FarrisDate: Thursday, 27 Sep 2012, 5:37 PM | Message # 25
Lieutenant
Dani thudded down the ramp behind him, her boots hitting the durasteel with each step. She had taken the time and pulled her dark locks up into a pony and was still in the same dark tank top and cargo pants. The only difference was that she had slid a light jacket on to conceal the two blasters she had on her person...just in case. "You weren't kidding about the heat." She said when she stopped at his side. Her gaze trailed over his form and she smiled some. "Got everything that you need?"

The familiar glint of the lightsaber hilt caught her gaze for just a moment. Would they even need something like that? It was just a part and provisions mission, after all. No, if she remembered correctly, trouble usually found them no matter what. Karth was probably just carrying it because it was what he felt comfortable with, like her and her preference for blasters. Unfortunately, the lightsaber would draw attention that neither of them needed or wanted.

"Karth...." Dani started, the hesitance showing in her voice. She would reach out and pull the cloak some to make sure that the hilt of the Jedi weapon was covered. Her hand lingered there for a moment, perhaps longer than it should have, before she pulled back. Hers was still in his possession, since she had given it to him the night before, and that was where it needed to stay. She wasn't sure she had a need for it any longer, nor was she sure she could use it again if she tried. That kind of weapon, Daneira felt, was for someone with the heart of a Jedi. She did not deserve that designation any longer.

She would force a small smile. "Let's get this over with, alright?"

Jace_VaritekDate: Thursday, 27 Sep 2012, 9:39 PM | Message # 26
Generalissimo
Awards: 4
Jace's eyes shot open. It was night again. Of course, it was always night in space, but the ship was quiet, too. Karth and Daneira were asleep, or so Jace assumed. He sat up in bed, shivered, and wrapped his heavy coat about him as he stood and fumbled his way, barefoot, to the door. The deck was cold, he knew, but his feet weren't. That's odd. He couldn't hear his footsteps either as the nondescript corridor drifted slowly, noiselessly past him on his way to Caecelia's bridge. It was where he had been the night before, gazing in awe at hyperspace as it tore past the bridge viewport. There was no more beautiful—or mesmerizing—sight in the galaxy, save perhaps for hypergems; famed, four-dimensional crystals renowned for their vexing beauty. But if Jace had a hypergem, he'd be a very rich man.

The brilliant, blue luminescence of hyperspace embraced him as he stepped onto the bridge. And there, silhouetted against it and standing over Caecelia's controls, was Daneira. "What are you—" he had time to say, then realized, as she turned, startled, to face him, what it was she was doing.

She's sabotaging the ship!

Jace was overcome with a feeling of immense, inescapable sadness. "I trusted you," he said, dishonestly. "Karth. He trusts you..."

Karth, Jace thought. I have to tell him!

"No," Daneira said, her startled expression having become calm, and calming in turn. She approached Jace slowly, Caeceilia's control panels casting a sinister red glow across the room, which seemed quite suddenly smaller. "You don't have to tell him," she said, lusciously. "It can be our secret." She stood directly in front of him now, her words whispered to him. Jace stood inanimate as her hands brushed past his sides, coming to rest on the small of his back.

Daneira pulled him closer to her. He felt the warmth of her body and breathed in the smell of her raven hair as she looked—unblinking—into his eyes. Jace couldn't look away, her slate blue eyes becoming more radiant against the swirling backdrop of hyperspace. Then, they were hyperspace, swirling brilliantly, pulling him in, inescapably. Jace's stomach rose, Daneira's eyes went from brilliant blue to bright, frightening red as she said, "The dark side, Varitek. The dark side...

Jace's eyes shot open, and he breathed in sharply. "F-fuck." He was back in his quarters, the distant sounds of a spaceport having replaced the steady hum of Caecelia's engines. He sat up in his bed and wiped a hand over his sweaty brow. He clenched and unclenched his fists, making sure he was where he thought he was as he stood, caught his breath, and pressed the 'Open' key on the door.

"Spast," he grunted. It was fucking hot. No wonder he was sweating—Jace hated heat; he'd prefer to freeze to death than burn to death, if he had a choice in the matter. Where were they, he wondered. Then he heard Karth's and Daneira's familiar voices around a corner, on the open boarding ramp. He walked in their direction, but slowed down as he heard what they were saying.

"Fuck Varitek," he heard Karth say, "I've never cared less about what he thinks than I do right now."

Jace peered around the corner in time to see Karth and Daneira sharing a tender kiss. "I'm still here," Daneira told Karth, "I'm not going anywhere. Never again." Jace could see the authentic love in her eyes, and he looked away; the imagery from his dream wasn't yet banished from his mind. He returned, unnoticed, to his quarters, hearing Karth's and Daneira's footsteps receding down the ramp as they left him there alone with his thoughts. He closed the door behind him, laid on his back on the floor beside his bed, and stared at the ceiling for a long while.

Then he reached for the satchel nearby him on the floor, pulling from it a datapad that he held before him as he wrote.

"Karth, Daneira. Thanks for the ride. I'm certain I'd be dead on Kal'Shebbol if it weren't for you. I'm sorry to leave you like this. You especially, Karth. I know you're in trouble and I want to help, but even though there's a lot the three of us don't know about each other, it's clear to me that we have some problems in common and many problems of our own. What I mean is I can't help you if I can't help myself, and that's something I need to do alone. Please be careful, Karth. And you too, Danieira. I sense and I hope that we'll meet again. My thanks again, Jace."

When, eventually, they'd return to the ship, Jace would be gone. They'd find the datapad on his bed.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Karth_DeQoraDate: Sunday, 30 Sep 2012, 7:15 PM | Message # 27
Colonel general
A long, long hour of walking later...

"Okay..." Karth protested, his eyes darting about the crowded street that the pair were now walking down for what felt like the five-millionth time. "They must've re-numbered all the fuckin' streets here, because I'm totally lost." Never mind that the streets were named, not numbered, and that Karth had proven on many occasions to possess a horrific sense of direction. The Jedi groaned, exasperated, before dropping onto a nearby bench and bunching his hair between gloved fingers. So far the search for his old 'friend' had proven fruitless, though there was still a large patch of Byllurun for them to cover. Still, the combination of crowds and heat was beginning to take a toll on his patience.

He cast a glance around the surrounding area; a congested street absolutely packed tight with Sullustan commerce, and the large groups that accompanied it. The frenzied, staccato-like language of the locals traveled far in the heated, volcanic air; and the myriad of life-forces that battered his senses had thus far proven to be bearable, if rather jarring. "He's gotta be--" he paused, rising to his feet and turning abruptly, as though he was attempting to retrace steps from nearly a century ago. The contact in question that they were looking for was an old 'friend' from Karth's days in the Hutt Cartel; their relationship hadn't ended particularly well, and truth be told De'Qora was skeptical as to whether the man was still alive, but the list of trustworthy contacts shrank year by year.

"-- This way," Karth finished, pointing to an alley that turned into what he hoped would be a different street. Craning his neck to get a look at Dani, he couldn't help but smile as he read the rather annoyed look she shot him.

Daneira_FarrisDate: Monday, 01 Oct 2012, 3:16 AM | Message # 28
Lieutenant
The heat was unbearable. At that very moment, Dani knew that she would rather be locked on Caecelia with Jace, forever, rather than being on this hellish planet anymore. Ok, that probably wasn't -quite- true, and she was being slightly dramatic. But it was fucking hot and the crowds were making her nervous. She didn't say anything to Karth though, as he led her down yet another street that probably was a dead end. Or worse, another street that would dump them right back where they started.

"I have a brilliant suggestion, Slim. Why don't we -ask- someone for directions...or if they know your "friend". It would be better than wandering around here all day in this heat." She didn't sound too annoyed, at least. If she hadn't loved him so damn much, if it had been Jace leading her around this hellish city so blindly, she probably would have lost her temper already. He would probably be unconscious and she would have the part and be dragging him by his boot back to the ship.

"Or....we have passed about a zillion parts dealers. Is it credits you're worried about? Cause you don't need to. I've got credits, alright?" She hadn't quite told him that while they were by no means wealthy, she was quite comfortable. She had taken some pretty large bounties for years. Caecelia was her only real purchase, and she was cheap considering, and the rest had been squirreled away just in case.

Aside from the heat and the crowd though, it wasn't as though Dani minded following Karth aimlessly, but she was feeling incredibly unsettled and just wanted to get out of there as soon as possible. Something didn't feel right, but she wasn't quite sure what it was.

Karth_DeQoraDate: Sunday, 07 Oct 2012, 2:49 PM | Message # 29
Colonel general
"No," he answered, his voice stern and tinged with annoyance. Not at her, mind, but rather at the ever-increasing mountain of problems that had been piling atop them since they landed. "Ryln's not exactly the reputable type, I'm just as likely to get a shiv in the back than I am a clue as to his whereabouts. 'Sides, can't trust no-one on this friggin' planet." That was experience talking, not supposition. Thankfully, though, the alley that he led them down soon opened up onto a side-street that was much more familiar to him, and soon it all came flooding back.

"It's a simple job," the Sullustan repeated; a hint of contempt laced throughout his alien tongue. "Gain access to the arrest records, locate the files, back up the copies and destroy them. With the badge I've provided, should be in-and-out, no trouble."

Down the street a ways, about three blocks and to their right, sat a decrepit set of apartments with a familiar faded-maroon paint scheme on the exterior. This was the extraction point, he remembered. Fat bit of luck that did him. Things hadn't ended well the last time he was here, and Karth had to admit he was hesitant to go back inside those apartments again.

"Y'know," the human man deadpanned. "Every time you say 'simple job', the hairs on my neck stand up. If it's so simple, why'd Vallo need me for it?" In response, the Sullustan shrugged, puffing absently on the cigarette that hung loosely in his jowls. The entire room positively reeked of tobacco, the smell assaulted him from every possible angle. "Don't hold out on me, Ryln," Karth warned, his hand coming down to rest at the blaster strapped to his hip.

"There it is," he breathed, eyes scanning the surrounds for any suspicious activity. This neighborhood wasn't exactly 'clean', and SoroSuub nor the local authorities preferred to steer clear of this district as a whole. It was just them out there.

Daneira_FarrisDate: Sunday, 07 Oct 2012, 6:39 PM | Message # 30
Lieutenant
Karth was not the only one that was annoyed. Of course, she wasn't annoyed at him, but at the situation as well. She had been serious about the credits, so his blatant disregard for what she had offered seemed stupid to her. It seemed that he knew what he wanted and didn't care what she had to say about it. So, for the moment, she just followed him silently.

That was, until he found what he was looking for. As Karth started down the street, Dani hesitated behind him. She had a bad feeling that she couldn't shake right away, like she usually could, and it lingered. "Karth....lets just go back to one of the dealers near the spaceport...." Dani said as her fingertips lingered on the blaster at her hip.

She had absolutely no inkling as to why he insisted on coming here. It would have been clear to him immediately that she was uncomfortable, a rare thing for her anymore, but she didn't want him to have to see her kill anyone. Not like this, at least. Unfortunately, she had a bad enough feeling that it was probably going to happen.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » A Galaxy At War » The Galaxy » The 220-Ton Powder Keg
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz