MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
10:57 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » Post a Request » Static Orbital/Deep Space Shields (a.k.a. "Trumboldt Shields," or "Cambrist Shields")
Static Orbital/Deep Space Shields
Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 15 Nov 2010, 11:05 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant general
Group: Users
Awards: 6
I request that Brentaal has successfully tested what it calls a "static shield." For those of you familiar with the game Rogue Leader, a shield of this sort is seen at The Maw in, I think, 4 ABY. It is, in effect, a shield (either a particle shield or deflector shield, or both) that is projected by satellites over an empty area of space. My design, as you'll see below, is much simpler than The Maw design, however.

Above: a graphic of the shield. Below: detail on the shield generating satellite.

It would have been developed by a team led by Dr. Alastair Trumboldt of the Brentaal Academy of Physics, commissioned by House Cambrist. Each satellite amounts for about 500 square meters of shield space. Thus, the more satellites that are involved in the network, the larger the shield would be (two satellites would cover a square kilometer, four satellites would cover two square kilometers, etc.). The satellites on their own, without any additional power source, would be able to generate a shield that could withstand a heavy turbolaser bombardment for perhaps 1 to 2 minutes. However, they can be hooked up to larger power sources fairly easily, which would increase the strength.

The advantages to this: Brentaal is a major trade hub with large amounts of civilian traffic. Deploying these shields in orbit can help to protect ships that are waiting for landing clearance from hit and run attacks by pirates, commercial raiders, etc. In the event of a major attack, they can also provide additional cover to Brentaal's customs fleet and the planet's varied defense platforms. The main benefit, though, is the versatility of having a large shield that can be easily moved to where it's needed most. The drawbacks: the shield, as I hope I've conveyed in the graphic, is unstable (in that it has no solid boundary). Also, the satellites are vulnerable, and unshielded themselves. They're also very expensive, and large number of them are required to shield even a relatively small area of space.

Nonetheless, once it's approved by the Brentaal government (AGW management), I request that it be placed into immediate service over the planet. Brentaal would also be willing to sell the technology to other worlds.

Rath-DeschainDate: Wednesday, 17 Nov 2010, 9:02 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Awards: 1
I see no problems with this. It's a well thought-out system with enough drawbacks to prevent it from being overpowered.

By the lack of power not vested in me by Management, I declare this approved.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Karth_DeQoraDate: Wednesday, 17 Nov 2010, 9:11 AM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Group: Administrators
... What?

Man, Myth, Administrative God. Also plays a mean kazoo.
Jace Varitek: In Northern California we just have gangs of vigilante interior decorators.

Message edited by Karth - Wednesday, 17 Nov 2010, 9:12 AM

Caden_SturnDate: Wednesday, 17 Nov 2010, 9:18 AM | Message # 4
Major
Awards: 0
lmfao

Caden Sturn
Former Inquisitor - Fugitive
Imperial Inquisition Ace Pilot

OrionKarathDate: Wednesday, 17 Nov 2010, 11:34 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
Group: Administrators
Alrighty then... *give Adam a boot to the head*

APPROVED

Orion Karath
Manager from June 2009 to Present, Administrator from December 2011 to Present
My posts here, pre-2009 archives here

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » Post a Request » Static Orbital/Deep Space Shields (a.k.a. "Trumboldt Shields," or "Cambrist Shields")
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz