MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
1:42 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » Post a Request » Magrath Shipwrights Museum Reproductions
Magrath Shipwrights Museum Reproductions
Baroness_MagrathDate: Saturday, 23 Feb 2013, 4:02 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Through being contacted by a Coreward Museum, which would be putting on an exhibit of the New Sith Wars, the Magrath Shipwrights would in turn create these vessels as Reproductions. That is to say that while they are essentially building an old design starfighter for a Museum's exhibit, they would in turn produce these reproductions will all the latest technology available in the current time. These fighters once completed would be shipped to the museum, however the designs would remain in the Magrath Shipwrights catalogue.

I see the Magrath Shipwrights taking on this request for the reproductions, purely from the stance that the more larger and well known shipyards would probably turn down the request. Most likely due in part that they wouldn't want to waste the time on the reproductions. This means that Baroness Magrath would look good for taking on this task and doing a service to the Museum; which I see would further increase the standing of her name by showing that she is also a supporter of higher education through the aid to teach others of the history of the galaxy.

With this said, the two vessels in question being reproduced would be the S250-Chela Fighter and the Aurek class Tactical Starfighter. While their designs would remain the same, the technology and features of the vessels would be on par to those of the fighters in the current timeline.

Official Name: S-250 Chela class Starfighter
Faction/Affiliation: Independent (Previously Republic)
Classification: Starfighter

Stock/Custom: Stock Reproduction

Dimensions:
Length: 14m

Manufacturer: Magrath Shipwrights (Previously CEC)

Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
Shielding: Equipped
Crew: 1 Pilot

Armament:

• Twin Laser Cannons
  • Twin Concussion Missile Launchers (6 Missiles Each)

Cargo: 30kg
Consumables: 1 Week

Official Name: Aurek class Tactical Starfighter
Faction/Affiliation: Independent (Previously Republic)
Classification: Starfighter

Stock/Custom: Stock Reproduction

Dimensions:
Length: 9.2m

Manufacturer: Magrath Shipwrights (Previously CEC)

Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
Shielding: Equipped
Crew: 1 Pilot

Armament:

• Heavy Laser Cannons (2)
  • Proton Torpedo Launchers (6 Torpedoes Each)

Cargo: 20kg
Consumables: 1 Week

Raulyn Hawkshaw Magrath
Baroness of the Empire - Jaemus
Duchess of the Bisellia System
Proprietor of Magrath Shipwrights
Proprietor of Magrath Textiles
Proprietor of Magrath Winery
Proprietor of Magrath Weapons Foundry
Proprietor of Magrath Mining Compound

Toben-DomonDate: Saturday, 23 Feb 2013, 4:12 PM | Message # 2
Major general
I don't normally like to chip in on requests, but keep in mind that Sluis Van Shipyards has already created reproductions of a number of craft, including those you listed. Stats can be found here and here. I don't mention this to discourage you in any means, but Sluis Van does have patents on specific types of designs, one assumes, and there could be legal issues with it. Nonetheless, there are still a large number of Old Republic craft left untouched.

Toben Domon
Senator, Sluis Van

Baroness_MagrathDate: Saturday, 23 Feb 2013, 4:40 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
Quote (Toben Domon)
Ok, so, pictures. Please note that the above listed craft look suspiciously similar to, but are not identical to, the following pictures. I will ask that this note be read again: suspiciously similar to, but not identical to

Quote (Karth DeQora)
Okey dokey, let's get this stuff rolling. First of all, since you're only requesting the designs for these ships, I have no real problem with the request in question. I did notice that you basically copied the stats of the canonical ships that your designs are "suspiciously similar to" and scaled them back a fraction, but I can't help but get past the idea of "These ships are basically like these really old ships that used to exist, but they're just different enough that it's not completely obvious." Not that I have a problem with you using those pictures, just that it strikes me as a bit of a cop out. Oh well, that's not what's up for debate here, so I'll drop it.

I believe those two quotes are more than enough as a defense. Looking at them it is clear that you meant your designs to be "Suspiciously similar to, but not identical to" the original S250 Chela and Aurek Fighters. The difference between your Arsix class Fighter and the Brenix class Fighter, and the Reproduction designs of the Magrath Shipwrights is that the Magrath Shipwrights S250 Chela and Aurek are an exact replica of the original vessels and are not being passed off as "Suspiciously similar to, but not identical to" them, where as that is what you have titled your Arsix and Brenix.

Any "legal issues" that you see with this are only existent in your own mind. The Magrath Shipwrights are creating museum replicas based off of the original Chela and Aurek fighters, while your Arsix and Brenix are merely uninventive vessels stealing the images because you couldn't be bothered to find fitting images for your vessels.

Quote (Toben Domon)
but Sluis Van does have patents on specific types of designs

Also, those patents on specific types of designs would appear to be patents on the Arsix and Brenix designs and not specifically the S250 Chela and Aurek fighters.

I will however request that you do not post on one of my requests again. I believe that it should only be the staff posting on a request. If you do have concerns I believe that is what the OOC board is for.

Raulyn Hawkshaw Magrath

Message edited by Baroness_Magrath - Saturday, 23 Feb 2013, 4:42 PM

Jace_VaritekDate: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013, 11:41 PM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
APPROVED.

For the record, the reason I approve this unconditionally in this case but didn't for Sluis Van is because there's a plausible background story here on why thousands-year-old fighter designs are being reproduced. It's for a museum exhibit. If Magrath was producing them for no real reason, just as a vanity project like Sluis Van had in mind originally, I'd be as skeptical now as I was then. But the museum excuse seems very sensible to me, and having gone to the trouble of designing them it seems additionally sensible they would keep them in the product catalogue. (Though I do ask you exercise some discretion in selling them—this is 9 BBY, after all. These fighters, even as reproductions, should be rare so that we can preserve the appropriate look and feel of this era).

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Baroness_MagrathDate: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013, 11:45 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant
I planned to have them limited only to purchases from museums and other institutions that would be exhibiting them. So while they would still remain in the Magrath Shipwright catalogue, they would only be available to specific buyers; in short, the Magrath Shipwrights wouldn't be building squadrons upon squadrons to selling, more like small two or three at a time for exhibit purposes only.

Raulyn Hawkshaw Magrath

Jace_VaritekDate: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013, 11:50 PM | Message # 6
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
That's good. I didn't think you would, either, but I like to give as much feedback as possible on requests. So anyway, this is good to go.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » Post a Request » Magrath Shipwrights Museum Reproductions
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz