MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
4:05 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Force User Act (by Mical de Crion)
The Force User Act
Mical_de_CrionDate: Tuesday, 10 Aug 2010, 11:56 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Users
Awards: 5
The Force User Act
Written by Senator Mical de Crion, Tapani Sector

1.) Any Force user that violates New Republic law against an New Republic citizen, New Republic Defense Force personnel, or New Republic property, shall face trial by the Court of Justice.

2.) Any Force user that violates New Republic law otherwise shall face trial in accordance with the Jedi Commissions Act.

3.) The New Republic, at the behest of independent, unaligned, or Imperial governments, shall step in and deal with a rogue Force user.

4.) Regardless of location, the local government, if applicable, shall also reserve the right to independently put the suspect on trial. Should the suspect be found not guilty by a New Republic court, but guilty by a local court, the New Republic will take responsibility for incarceration. This is merely a matter of galactic security.

5.) When used to apprehend a Force user, the New Republic Defense Force reserves the right to use any force deemed necesarry to cease illegal activities.

6.) The New Republic shall not step in to the aid of the Jedi Order if the rogue Force user is emerging from Sith Space due to the provocation of the Jedi Order. This is considered a senseless and irresponsible action for which the Jedi will have to deal with. Should the rogue Force user become a threat to galactic security, the Republic will step in, but severe punishment shall be applied to the Order as a whole if this is the case. The severity of punishment is subjective and at the discretion of the Chief of State. This clause is void once the rogue Force user has attacked an New Republic citizen, New Republic Defense Force personnel, or New Republic property.

7.) The Jedi are required to render the aid of any and all assets to the Republic in its attempt to deal with a rogue Force user.

8.) As a definition, a Jedi is a Force User that is a member of the New Jedi Order. Should any Force user leave that Order, or never been a part of that Order, then they are considered a rogue, or illegal, Force user. Any rogue Force users are to be brought into the New Jedi Order, or reported by the Jedi to the New Republic so that they may be dealt with.

9.) All beings determined to have Force sensitivity are mandated from herein to be registered with the New Republic so that they may be tracked more easily, to ensure the galactic security and peace remains.

I am willing to forgo the last provision if resistence is given to it.

Mical Léo de Crion
Director, All Stars Burn As One Foundation
Chairman, Urban Youth College Fund
Owner, Château Hiver Rivière

Senator_CambristDate: Wednesday, 11 Aug 2010, 0:57 AM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
If even I resist Article 9, Senator, with all due respect to myself it can be safely assumed that there will be quite a lot of resistance to it. But Article 9 does point out what is, I think, the flaw of this latest version of the legislation—it is making a distinction based on an individual's Force sensitivity rather than how that Force sensitivity is applied. For example, under this law a Force sensitive individual could be apprehended with maximum force and put on trial in New Republic courts for a simple traffic violation. There are many individuals who are sensitive to the Force, and who "use" the Force, but this alone is not a reason to treat them differently under the law. The distinction is in how the Force is used. That is why I believe Governor Oswaldt's definition, which specifies who is using the Force and how, is the more appropriate one. You are closer, Senator Crion, but not quite there. "Force user," in and of itself, does not suffice.

Aside from this, I continue to object to the measure on the same grounds as I have before. Let us take them in order. Article 2 is based on the Jedi Commissions Act which, it is widely agreed, is unconstitutional and will not stand up in court. I don't think it is necessary to weaken this otherwise strong bill by making it dependent on a weak bill. As for Article 3, I say again—if a fugitive Jedi or Sith flees the New Republic to some unaligned world, we needn't ask that world nicely whether or not we can pursue him, her, or it. That fugitive Jedi or Sith is a threat to us all, even if it is on an unaligned world. The New Republic has and indeed it must have the authority to pursue these individuals on an unaligned world if need be. To quote you, Senator, "this is merely a matter of galactic security." The rest of Article 3, however, appears to be sound.

Article 5 gives New Republic forces "the right to use any force deemed necessary" not simply to arrest these individuals, but to "deal with" them. I would never support this for any reason, ever, and nor should anyone else. The way it is worded, it might as well be a permission slip to murder these individuals without any hearing or trial. This is not acceptable, Senator. We are not the Empire. It is Article 6, however, that is the most bizarre of them all. I don't know how to else to put this, Senator Crion—what are you talking about? The New Republic does not recognize anything called "Sith Space," as if it is some political body that's governed by the Sith. I feel I must remind you, Senator, that as far as we know there are no Sith, anywhere. They certainly don't have a region of space reserved to them and respected by us. This Article is so bizarre and so random I can't imagine what it's doing in this or in any bill.

Please do correct these, and we will finally have a bill that may pass.

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 9:38 AM | Message # 3
Lieutenant general
Awards: 1
Article six strikes me as contradictory. If a rogue Force user does indeed assault a Jedi, are they not attacking a New Republic citizen? It needs more work on that area, Senator Crion.

I agree with Senator Cambrist that article nine is quite unthinkable. The fact that you proposed it makes me wonder to your train of thought and your sanity, Senator. I will dismiss it this time as senseless thought.

Article eight seems perhaps the worst though. You make it sound as if it is a crime to be a Force user and outside the Jedi Order. Is the New Republic now the primary recruiter of new Jedi trainees? Even those outside the wish to become Jedi? No, Senator. Live and let live. If a Force user becomes a valid threat to the New Republic, then let the NRDF step in. It is not our job to police each and every Force user in the galaxy.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Monor II (10 BBY - 9 BBY)
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall
Representative, Therenor Prime
Vice-chairman, Defense Committee (Temporarily suspended)
Controlling Shareholder - Druckenwell Arms Corporation

Mical_de_CrionDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 11:13 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
If you believe the Jedi Commissions Act can not stand to our legal system, then why has it been law for nearly a decade? If you have such a strong belief in such, Senator Cambrist, should you not challenge the law to the courts? Article Three could use some re-wording to fit more in line with neutral world policies of the New Republic as have been established by law. In retrospect, Article Five is too strongly worded, and I agree with you that it needs to be revised. Sith Space does not reference a political body but rather a region of space, surrounded by the Stygian Caldera. Historically, this was home of the Sith Empires. I believe entry into this region should be heavily discouraged, and if the Jedi Order persists in entry, it should have to deal with any consequences. Articles Eight and Nine are meant to introduce a means to regulate Force Users, ensure that they are under our ultimate supervision and guidence, and can be quickly responded to should they become an issue. This is meant to counter the maelvolent history of Sith, Dark Jedi, Rogue Jedi, and Fallen Jedi, by ensuring they do not have a chance to become such. I understand how the initial reflax to these are to back away and reject, but it must be considered as a means to ensure we end Force User crimes. At the same rate, I realize that some efforts with the best intentions can be the worst actions. I will consider a rewrite of this legislation in the coming days.

Mical Léo de Crion

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 0:09 AM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
Senator, the Jedi Commissions Act is still law because no one has ever been tried under the Act and, thus, there has never been an occasion to challenge it in court. But legal scholars resoundingly agree that when it does come to court, it will indeed be found unconstitutional. This is why no law since that time has referred to the Jedi Commissions Act, because any law that does will, at some point, be compromised. The Senate never should have passed the Act in the first place, and sooner than later the courts will agree. And yes, Article 3 should be rephrased so that the New Republic reserves its right to pursue dangerous fugitives to unaligned worlds if need be.

As for "Sith Space," I cannot but wonder why it is that we are basing our laws on ancient lore and innuendo, rather than on fact. For the fact, Senator Crion, is that there are no Sith. But even if there were, the very last thing we should do is simply cower from them and keep a distance. To the contrary. That is why I will propose in tomorrow's Senate session that the New Republic conduct a full and comprehensive expedition to the Stygian Caldera that will invite the participation of the Jedi to assist in navigation and the sensing of life forms. No region of the galaxy should remain in the shadows—particularly not one with a network of known hyperspace routes and habitable planets that, for no rational reason, remain unpopulated.

With regard to your bill, Senator, I stand by my criticisms. You have stated what your bill is meant to do, and I have stated what I believe it will do. In many cases these are not the same, and so, indeed, your bill needs work.

Message edited by Senator_Cambrist - Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 0:12 AM

Mical_de_CrionDate: Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 0:19 AM | Message # 6
Colonel
Very well, Senator, you have made your point, and I largely have come to be in agreement with it. Despite your announcement of a proposal of your own tomorrow, I will begin a revision to this bill this evening.

Mical Léo de Crion

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Force User Act (by Mical de Crion)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz