MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Tuesday
5:38 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Applied Business (Applied to Druckenwell, that is.)
Applied Business
Njon_the_HuttDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 4:00 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Dave Fallon cringed on the cold durasteel deck, his hands over his ears, his eyes clasped shut as if wishing, like a child, that by not seeing the Hutt and his thugs that somehow they would not be there. But the acrid smell of charred flesh and bone was everywhere. Was it his flesh and bone? Was it over? Was he dead? He opened his eyes tentatively, staring at his own reflection in the smooth durasteel floor, and was astonished to find that he was, in fact, alive. He uncovered his ears and heard moans of pain all around him. Moans of pain, and a booming Hutt laugh. "You've failed again," a deep voice gloated. Fallon looked up to find his team crumpled all around on him on the deck of the Franchise's hangar arm, and Njon the Hutt and his men looming victoriously over them.

The Franchise, the Hutt's commandship, was silent—apparently Fallon had failed, since, by now, his other ships should have been pummelling the Franchise from the outside while Fallon and his team stormed it from inside. Apparently, his ships hadn't fared much better than he or his team had. Blast it. "Mr. Anjiliac," he said, his determination disappearing as he heard his voice tremble, "I'm sorry, I—"

"First you and your men keep my spice for yourselves instead of delivering it to the dealer as you were told," Njon rumbled, the gloating smile on his face beginning to fade, "Then you put together this foolish attack on me? What were you thinking?"

It had all made sense at the time, probably because of the spice. It began with a dose or two, then another, then another. Soon the whole crew was addicted to it, and the supply was gone. They knew that the Hutt would probably kill them for it, and decided that the only chance they had was to kill him first—to storm the Franchise, kill the Hutt, and, in the process, loot the ship for more of his spice. It wasn't a perfect plan, but it was the best Fallon could do. He needed more spice. His hands trembled without it. He could think of nothing else. "My ships..." he said, absently.

"... have been brushed aside," Njon told him. "Some of them destroyed, the rest of them held in place. Did you really think your puny Corellian freighters could scratch the Franchise, Fallon?"

"I'm sorry," Fallon said, wincing as a Weequay thug put a blaster bolt into the head of one of his moaning team members. "I can pay you back, or, well, I can work it off. Please," he stammered, "I don't want to die." He noticed his blaster pistol a meter away from him, where he must have dropped it in the firefight. He considered lunging for it and at least being killed instantaneously.

The Hutt laughed that obnoxious, booming laugh of his. "I'm not going to kill you," he said.

Fallon was incredulous. "What?" he managed.

"I have a job for you," Njon said. "Complete it, this time, and all will be forgiven. There will also be more spice in it for you."

"Whatever it is, I'll do it."

Three days later, Fallon's ships appeared high over Druckenwell, taking care to approach it from its far side—out of range of its Golan defense platform, and far enough from its shipyard that it would probably be a few minutes away from whatever ships that Druckenwell had defending it. But even here, at some distance, the space over this planet of 10 billion population was busy with merchant ships either leaving or queueing for clearance. Ships that were vulnerable, at least for those few minutes. Fallon's flotilla consisted of four ships; 2 YV-100 light freighters, 1 YV-929 armed freighter, and a YT-1200 light freighter, all of them modified with more in the way of firepower but hardly nothing in the way of shields. Not that it mattered, against unarmed merchants.

They seemed to have found a column of freighters that they liked, because they began to form into two flights of two on either side of the column and warmed their weapons. A moment later, approaching the nearest freighters from behind and on either side, they opened fire. Red and green lasers and even a blue particle beam or two would splash against the shields over the engine assemblies of the freighters as they tried frantically to turn away. "Distress! Distress!" one of the merchants would surely call out to Druckenwell, "We're under attack by pirates! Repeat, we are under attack!"

Then, abruptly, all four of the Corellian ships seemed to come to a stop. Angry turbolaser blasts lanced toward all of them at once, pounding away at their own shields. It was the Marauder-class corvette Anjiliac, its hull painted blood red with garish Huttese lettering all over it. Fallon's ships didn't stand a chance—with their communications jammed, the small Corellian freighters didn't seem to understand what was happening at first, but within a few moments they'd martialled a response from their guns. But it was no use. Dave Fallon's ship was the last to be destroyed, so that the last thing he saw was the consequence of failure.

Once Fallon and his fleet were reduced to scrap, the Anjiliac opened a channel to Druckenwell's defense forces. "It seems you have a pirate problem," a sneering Toydarian said. "It's a good thing we were here."

Njon Anjiliac (alias "Njon the Hutt")
■ Owner and CEO of Anjiliac™ brand Spiced Wines, Ltd., known leader of the Anjiliac crime family, suspected leader of the Hutt Cartel.
■ Suspected of grand larceny, embezzlement, extortion, and trafficking in slaves, spice, liquors, and weapons.

Message edited by Njon_the_Hutt - Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 4:17 PM

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 4:18 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
It was a short time later, but the Anjiliac would find itself under rather close scrutiny from a Strike-class cruiser, the Benevolent Wanderer, which, while remaining at a respectful distance, also happened to be sitting right in the way of the smaller vessel's hyperspace route. Two squadrons of Z-95 Headhunters were buzzing busily about the damaged freighters, requesting damage reports and seeing if aid shuttles were needed or tugs, should it be required. Of course, both the Strike and the Z-95s were not there to threaten the Huttese vessel, no the threat would come largely from the prospect of what would happen if it did make an unprovoked move against a New Republic member world.

That and the bristling cannons of the Munificent that had maneuvered into a screen between the planet and the new arrival.

On board the Munificent, aptly named Defender of Peace, Sky Marshal Albert Colaverde considered the implications of what had happened. Firstly, a fleet of small, but rather heavily armed merchant vessels had descended without reason on Druckenwell's trading traffic. Surely they'd had to be on drugs of some kind, because anyone who'd done their homework knew that Druckenwell was not precisely easy pickings. Of course, there was the timely arrival of the Anjiliac; too timely in Colaverde's eyes. There was a connection, no doubt. Nonetheless... it seemed contact was inevitable.

"Private corvette Anjiliac, you have our thanks for stopping those unscrupulous raiders. No doubt your actions here saved many lives today. It does indeed seem pirates are more and more bold these days, and we will certainly have to increase security. That being said... what brought you to Druckenwell in the first place? We don't have too many dealings with the Hutt Cartel, I'm afraid."

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Monor II (10 BBY - 9 BBY)
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall
Representative, Therenor Prime
Vice-chairman, Defense Committee (Temporarily suspended)
Controlling Shareholder - Druckenwell Arms Corporation

Njon_the_HuttDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 4:42 PM | Message # 3
Major
"No, but the Hutt Cartel has dealings with Druckenwell," the Toydarian said, cryptically. The Anjiliac had powered down its weapons and drifted ponderously in long and predictable circles above the planet. More than once, its casual course took it rather near Druckenwell's strike cruiser, the Benevolent Wanderer, but otherwise it kept a respectful distance far from Druckenwell and its merchant ships. "No problem, Marshal," the Toydarian said, "If your government would like to thank us, we wouldn't mind being put in communication with them." Notably, he hadn't answered the question.

■ Owner and CEO of Anjiliac™ brand Spiced Wines, Ltd., known leader of the Anjiliac crime family, suspected leader of the Hutt Cartel.
■ Suspected of grand larceny, embezzlement, extortion, and trafficking in slaves, spice, liquors, and weapons.

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 4:49 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant general
So that was how it was going to be, was it? Sky Marshal Colaverde smiled faintly at the image of the Toydarian. The distance between the Anjiliac and the Benevolent Wanderer had been noted, but the vessel's captain had been ordered to remain where he was. Colaverde wasn't about to let a bit of posturing alarm him, though he did not discount that the vessel could be heavily upgraded due to the finances Njon Anjiliac possessed. The Hutts weren't stupid enough to get in a pissing contest with the New Republic. Getting into a pissing contest with Druckenwell, though, was another matter.

"That all depends who you wish to talk to in the government. Or should I say, who Njon Anjiliac wants to speak to. If you want thanks, you've already received it from about the highest authority who would normally converse with you. The government doesn't deal with every aspect of security and anti-piracy. I do, however, and I've thanked you once.

"Let's play a game of bartering, shall we? I hear Toydarians like that sort of thing. How about you answer my question on why you came here in the first place, and in turn, if it's a good enough reason, I'll patch you through to whomever you'd like to speak to, providing they wish to speak to you, that is."

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Njon_the_HuttDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 5:41 PM | Message # 5
Major
The Toydarian was used to being spoken to in this way by Njon, but perhaps because of this he didn't seem to take kindly to receiving verbal abuse from anyone else. Especially not the law. His brow raised in feigned innocence. "Well, I never," he said, "There's no need to be rude, or racist. But I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, from the way that human of yours, Ryuun, carries on in the Senate. Shameful." The Toydarian shook his head, "We've committed no crime, and to think, all we did was your job. Perhaps next time we won't. In fact, that's what we'd like to discuss. It's above your pay grade, Marshal, but if you insist—very well, you can be our messenger."

"It's a dangerous galaxy, as you know," the Toydarian explained. "There are a lot of unpleasant characters out there. Pirates, smugglers, or worse. It would be unfortunate if they preyed on your fine world, Marshal. But it's also unfortunate that a legitimate businessman like Njon Anjiliac can't do business on your world without your government trying to close down his operations. We suggest a compromise." The Toydarian smiled as he seemed, finally, to come to his point. "As you can see, we are in a position to help you defend Druckenwell," he said, "And bring or resources to bear to make sure that pirates, like these, don't harass this planet again. What we want is to do business in peace—business which, by the way, brings revenue to your world as well as to us. I assure you, Marshal, there are many individuals in your government already who support this."

"Tell your superiors to consider it," he said, his toothy grin suddenly becoming a frown as he added, "And tell them that we were displeased with your conduct and your temperament too, Marshal."

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 5:54 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
Colaverde sighed and rolled his eyes. The Toydarian, unfortunately, had been correct. The matter was actually above his pay grade. However, he'd been promoted to his current position by the full consent of the government backing; not solely Lomen Ryuun. His instructions did also cover screening such meeting to avoid the unnecessary unpleasant business of the government workers taking time out of their day to deal with issues such as this one. However, it was out of his hands now. It was time to pass the buck upwards, like it or not.

"Stand by. I'm opening a Holonet channel to Coruscant. You'll be in touch with Senator Ryuun shortly."

Relaying the order to the communications officers took little time and effort. Once the link was established, Colaverde relayed the message and then proceeded to link the broadcast through his vessel and to the Anjiliac, letting the Senator speak with the crime lord's minion.

---

"Ah, Mr... well, I don't believe Sky Marshal Colaverde gave me your name."

Senator Ryuun relaxed in a rather comfortable chair in his offices on Coruscant. The recording device was on, making sure to capture the conversation so that no accusations of bribery could be hurled later by his opponents, most notably Senator Forte, whose homeworld of Ryloth Ryuun had defended in the Senate against slaving policies. One good turn deserved a slap in the face, so it seemed.

"I might say that Marshal Colaverde's forward manner makes him an excellent man for his job. Whether or not you like that manner is unfortunate. Nonetheless, it serves to cut down on the amount of poodoo the government must deal with and it rather ensures he is a loyal citizen. Now then, if I may recap what I have drawn from your words?

"You imply that, what was it? Pirates and smugglers? Yes, that such distasteful beings would prey on Druckenwell, a New Republic world that would net them little profit for great risk, and that the generous persona of Njon Anjiliac, a Hutt with many suspected links to criminal activities, would be willing to lend assistance in defending Druckenwell, as well as increasing the revenue. You also imply that many of the members of Druckenwell's cabinet support this alliance, is that correct?

"Now, let me recap as I see it, and please forgive me if I assume much, but the last years have made me wary of handouts that seem to good to be true. I see it as this: Njon Anjiliac has taken an interest in Druckenwell for some reason. If we do not accept your help, which likely comes in the form of ordering his thugs not to assault our holdings, we will find ourselves plagued by pirates and undesirables, likely those same aforementioned thugs. And it would seem he has either bribed or blackmailed some of the members of our cabinet. Am I correct so far?"

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Njon_the_HuttDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 11:13 PM | Message # 7
Major
"Looro is my name ah, Senator Ryuun," the Toydarian said, his Huttese accent placing emphasis the "oon" in the man's name. He smiled his toothy grin. "And you're trying to ah make me say a lot of incriminating things on this channel, yes?" Looro laughed. "I will say to you what I said ah to your Marshal Colaverde. There are individuals in your government who would like to ah see a legitimate businessman do ah business on Druckenwell without the government harassing him, yes. It just so happens that that we can, uh, how you say, prevent unfortunate incidents of piracy like ah the one that occurred today. It is not unreasonable to trade one for the other, yes? How is it the Wookiees say, 'you scratch our back and we scratch yours.'"

It wasn't quite that simple, of course. And as it happened, Ryloth had a lot to do with it. It hadn't escaped Njon's notice when Senator Ryuun had offered to defend Ryloth from slavers. In other words, to defend it from Njon. The Hutt had been willing to disregard this as empty political talk, if not for the rumblings from Druckenwell the last few weeks that it was interested in forming a so called "security coalition" with other New Republic worlds. Njon decided that Druckenwell—a very profitable place for Njon, at least until the government began getting in his way—needed a show of force. And so, as the government clamped down on his operations, Njon redoubled them. He even lowered the price of his spice to make sure that every weary worker on Druckenwell who wanted glitterstim could pay for it on his salary from the factory. And now this.

It was not a large show of force compared with what he could have sent to Druckenwell. But as Colaverde had noted, sometimes the threat of what could be done was deterrent enough. And so, Ryuun would find himself in a difficult position—the easiest thing was to be permissive and let the Hutt conduct his foul business on Druckenwell unimpeded. But this wasn't an option if Ryuun's proposed "security coalition" was to be taken seriously by any of its potential members. But on the other hand, would a planet like Mowgle, without much of a piracy problem, join a coalition with a world that does have a piracy problem? The benefit of this for Druckenwell was apparent, but what was the benefit for Mowgle and planets like it? Then there was the fact that Ryuun couldn't know how many members of his government were in league with the Hutt.

The Senator had a lot to consider, while Looro, the Toydarian, remained sneering at him.

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 11:26 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant general
Crossing his hands before him, Ryuun kept his relaxed look. He had survived worse than this threat from the Hutt Cartel. He'd managed to come back from falling under the sway of Darth Novak, after all. His caution had increased over the years though, and he was not one to act rashly. There was indeed a lot to consider with a number of things at stake. However... if he gave in this once, it would open a crack that would allow Njon to take advantage of Ryuun and Druckenwell whenever the Hutt pleased. Ryuun's integrity would be gone, and without that, he had nothing.

"You know, Mr. Looro, a hastier man might well just give the order to blow that rather nice corvette out of space on the vague thought you might be threatening him. You are fortunate though, that I am not a hasty man and that I do not believe in attacking unprovoked. Nonetheless, there will be no backscratching here. I will not give in to the demands of a criminal just to appease his anger. Druckenwell will not give in.

"Njon Anjiliac is not a legitimate businessman. He is a thug, a criminal mastermind and an unscrupulous being who cares only about his own profits. He will have to find those profits elsewhere. I will ask you to leave Druckenwell's borders now, Mr. Looro. We have nothing more to discuss."

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Njon_the_HuttDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 11:40 PM | Message # 9
Major
"You are ah welcome, Senator," Looro said. If he was upset, he didn't show it. Nor was he moved by Ryuun's threat since, indeed, the Anjiliac had done nothing to merit destruction. "We will ah leave now, for now. Perhaps in a week or two you will reconsider, yes?" He chuckled again. "Yes," he answered his own question, decisively. Then he grinned, and the image disappeared. Back at Druckenwell, the Anjiliac bid farewell to Marshal Colaverde, cruised ponderously some distance from the planet, and disappeared into hyperspace.

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 11:47 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant general
Ryuun knew of certain people who would not be compromised; people he had worked with for years, but there were only a handful he could completely trust. Opening a secure line to Sky Marshal Colaverde, he requested the man take the conversation in his private quarters. Sipping a cup of kaf as he waited for the leader to traverse the ship from bridge to quarters, Ryuun considered the not-so-veiled threats.

"Yes, Senator?"

"Ah, Marshal... there are... several things we must take care of, and quickly."

"Of course, Senator. How can I be of service?"

"I need you to keep everyone on their toes in case of pirate attacks. It means more fatigue on the pilots, but they will be well compensated. The tricky part though... I need you to contact Lieutenant Colonel Belkin in internal security. It seems the Hutts might well have a grasp on some of the cabinet. I need him to begin searching through their records. Bank accounts, contacts, everything. I need it secret. Can you do this, Marshal?"

"It will be no problem, Senator. Anything that sticks in a Hutt's craw gives me a good day."

"I knew you'd understand. Ryuun out."

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Njon_the_HuttDate: Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 2:56 PM | Message # 11
Major
Far from being upset, Njon relished a challenge. In fact, the Hutt would be delighted when the scandal broke, as it inevitably would, that Ryuun was investigating the private records and transactions of his cabinet members without their knowledge or consent. The mass resignations that would surely result from this highly, highly illegal act would prove challenging for Mr. Ryuun's government, and in the tumult that ensued Njon just might eventually be able to install one of his own in the man's cabinet after all. For as of this moment, there were none—when Looro had spoken of "certain members of Druckenwell's government," he had referred not to the cabinet but, rather, to local figures in the police, customs, and chambers of commerce, who were far more numerous on Druckenwell and far easier to bribe. It was also more practical to do so; a cabinet minister was of limited use to Njon, but a police chief was invaluable and, as a member of a union, could not be easily fired or suspended even if corruption was suspected.

The passage of Senator Ryuun's Spice Regulation Bill, however, posed a challenge for Njon. The first part of the bill, requiring a search of all incoming ships for spice, didn't terribly bother Njon; he knew that this was immensely expensive and time consuming, and that Druckenwell couldn't possibly keep it up for long without driving away shipping companies and other private freighters that simply wouldn't be willing to wait in the intolerably long queues to land on Druckenwell (which would also provide Njon with more targets for piracy). Sooner or later, customs agents would also demand higher wages, and might even go on strike if Druckenwell responded by using more droids instead. But moreover, there were many ways around this prohibition; Njon only needed one customs officer on his payroll out of the tens of thousands of them on Druckenwell in order to deliver his spice to the planet, and no doubt he would have more than just one.

Rather, it was the rehabilitation clinics that troubled the Hutt. Not only on Druckenwell but now, thanks to Ryuun, spread throughout the Republic. He would need to make an example of them, and since Druckenwell was the progenitor of this program, it would be the clinics on that planet that would recieve the brunt of Njon's wrath. He would begin modestly, having his people record the faces of people who went in and out of these supposedly anonymous clinics and then disseminating their images in the public, discouraging them and others from going. He also spread the lie far and wide on Druckenwell that all patients at the clinics would be reported to the police upon being admitted. Then, a number of "incidents" would follow—usually bricks or rocks being thrown through the windows of the clinics, and, in one incident, an improvised petrol bomb. One particularly heinous incident occurred when a speeder truck delivering synthetic spice to one of the clinics was ambushed in the small hours of the night, its drivers shot in the face, and the truck stolen along with its cargo. The truck would be found a few days later, burned and empty, on one of Druckenwell's more remote beaches. The police, remarkably, reported that they had no leads.

Meanwhile, Njon lowered the price of his spice even more, in the hopes of expanding his customer base to young adults who had less disposable income, but always proved to be reliable, life long customers. These were also the ones that Njon could get to work for him, both as dealers and as thugs. In so doing, the crime rate in general would begin to rise on Druckenwell in the following months, with vandalism becoming especially problematic and, in particular, vandalism of security holocameras on the streets. During this period, Njon would also begin smuggling weapons onto Druckenwell and storing them for his upcoming plans.

The Hutt also delivered on piracy, as promised. With lines of ships now waiting for their spice inspections increasingly far above Druckenwell, the planet's forces had more ground to cover. This would prove problematic for them when, presently, at 3:55 PM Coruscant time, an R-41 Starchaser would appear from hyperspace high over the planet with a pair of R-22 Spearheads on either side as the trio of fighters immediately closed in on the nearest unarmed freighter. The R-22s remained in flanking formation to run interference for the R-41 as it opened up on the freighter with its lasers, ion cannons, and concussion missiles. "Distress!" the freighter would call out to Druckenwell's space defense forces, "Pirates! Repeat, pirates! We're under attack!"

Message edited by Njon_the_Hutt - Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 8:14 PM

LomenRyuunDate: Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 4:31 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant general
The catch, of course, for a scandal to break, was for word to get out. In this case, Njon would have little hope. Colonel Belkin had held his post for a very long time, largely because of his discretion and the team he'd put together was small, but comprised of equally efficient and long-standing loyal members, as well as being like-minded people. Of course, this might also benefit Njon as it would be some time before the entire cabinet was cleared, ideally without being caught. Ryuun himself had assumed, in this case likely correctly, that minor officials were on Njon's payroll. However, he had no proof, and he was not willing to break the law and arrange for false investigations and the like. No, he would keep this as legal as possible.

The problem of freighter captains being too annoyed at waits was something Ryuun was prepared to deal with. Corruption amongst customs officials was also something that had been thought of. It was therefore that when customs officers did ask for that fabled eventual raise, it would be given to them, along with the stipulation that every sentient customs officer would be backed up by a customs droid. This would ensure more swift searching of vessels by having more people search, and also serve to keep customs officers honest, as it was, after all, a tad harder to bribe a droid, so to speak. In the meantime, the captains of various freighters would have to be content that Druckenwell was doing its best.

The rehabilitation clinics were both the legislation's greatest strength and weakness. They offered addicts a place to go to overcome their addiction but they also served as stationary targets for the Hutt and his ilk. When the rumors began circulating, the first attack in the Hutt's covert war, Ryuun countered by having any addicts who were arrested brought to the clinics for rehabilitation in exchange for any prison sentence, providing they kept up with regularly schedule treatments and did not test positive for illegal substances. It was an extensive process, but it was felt the gains would largely outweigh the downsides. Attacks on the clinics were only the next logical step. It was to this end that increased police patrols (such as drive-by checkups) and private security (with extensive background checks) would be placed to ensure that less damage and mayhem were achieved, going so far as to stop, on three occasions, the bombings of additional clinics. Of course, it wasn't likely to end there. The attack on the truck drivers was by far the worst, but Ryuun would not give up.

The vandalism of security holocams was troublesome and costly to replace, but the increased police patrols did assist in cutting that back to an extent. If it were juveniles, the parents were fined, of course, and if the juveniles continued, they would likely be placed in a juvenile detention facility for a certain amount of time. If the offenders were adults, the fines were far steeper for vandalism. It was also during this time that Colonel Belkin's men reported an increase in illegal weapons arriving on Druckenwell. That had not been forseen, but Ryuun soon had a plan in place to combat it: vessels carrying illegal firearms would be impounded for thirty days and the firearms confiscated. It was a harsh penalty, and firearms were a tad harder to smuggle than spice.

Pirate attacks were more direct to deal with.

On the day of the attack, Blue Squadron had been on patrol with Green Squadron on standby. That is to say, the Z-95s were the primary responders with one flight of X-Wings as the secondary. On the alert sent from the station to Blue Squadron, the twelve vessels arced around from where they had been holding steady several kilometers from the Golan platform and headed for the trouble site, prepared to deal with the problem.

"Pirate vessels, this is Blue Leader, power down your vessels or you will be terminated."

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Message edited by LomenRyuun - Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 4:31 PM

Njon_the_HuttDate: Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 8:01 PM | Message # 13
Major
The combination of lasers, ion cannons, and a duo of concussion missiles was enough to punch through the shields and the hull of the hapless freighter and sear through its compartments and, in many cases, its cargo. The three fighters pulled up and away from the civilian ships that, by now, had begun to scatter in the midst of the assault and pose a nightmare for traffic control. The R-41 and the pair of R-22's didn't answer Blue Squadron's transmission, instead gunning their engines in pursuit of one of the light freighters that had broken off. They had just enough time before Blue Squadron came within range to duplicate their maneuver on this ship too, this time directing most of their fire into the engine assembly at the rear of the craft. Again, lasers, ion cannons, and a pair of concussion missiles would streak toward the freighter, but this time the pirates didn't wait around to see the fiery impact—they broke off the engagement, gunned their engines once more, and started running for empty space. They appeared to be beating a hasty retreat. It was 4:01 PM Coruscant time.

The moment the government consented to a pay raise for customs workers, meanwhile, the immensely influential portworkers union—which held sway over every spaceport on Druckenwell, as well as its orbital shipyards—voted to demand a wage increase as well. The total demand was more than the government could afford to pay without having to make cuts in other salaries or services, but the portworkers would remain adamant that if the customs workers got a raise, so should they. And if they didn't, they would go on strike and bring Druckenwell to a stand still. The customs workers, meanwhile, might have consented to the raise in good faith, but as ever Njon's people could find ways around the new obstacle; namely, simply shutting off the droids during an inspection and either not mentioning this in the paperwork or, occasionally, having some flimsy excuse for it ("electronic emissions from vessel on lot 12D interfering with photoreceptors on droid—droid shut down for duration of inspection"), and so on.

The police patrols, aside from being more expensive to Druckenwell's government on top of more customs inspections and customs wage increases, would not deter Njon's assaults on the clinics. It only took one person on the payroll in the local police precinct for Njon's people to know when and where the patrols would take place, and avoid them. The anonymous attacks couldn't truly be stopped, only diminished. But diminished they were. Other, petty crimes, such as vandalism and delinquency, were also diminished but still continued. As for the scandal, it would remain quiet only for as long as it remained quiet. This depended on more than just the internal security team that spied, illegally, on the ministers' records. It depended, also, on how they did so. For example, did they go to the bank and ask to view the ministers' records? Without a warrant? Or did they slice into the bank's records? If so, surely there would be a record of them having been sliced into, even if the identity of who sliced them remained buried. And if there was a record of it, there would be an investigation. The same would go for monitoring the ministers' communications—had the police or holocommunications companies been asked for this information? Again, without a warrant? Or had it been stolen from them? This was the sort of thing that would be hard for a small team to keep quiet without the entire apparatus of the state becoming involved in a coverup, and it had been said before, wisely, that the coverup was usually worse than the crime.

If only Njon knew that Lomen Ryuun was breaking as many of Druckenwell's laws as the Hutt was, he would be delighted at the irony. But for now, he continued to build up his infrastructure on the planet, which included legal operations as well as illegal ones; namely, he arranged to have a number of spiced wine distilleries opened along with a wine bar and tasting room to act as his front (not in his name, of course). It would rather quickly become a large, local employer in Il Avali, the planet's capital, and become a member of the chamber of commerce. It also imported large amounts of strictly legal (for now) spice and liquors used in making its brews. If Druckenwell's government interfered with these shipments, surely it will have gone too far. But at the least it would put the government's puritanical "all spice is illegal" attitude to the test.

Meanwhile, the Shapani Flyer, a medium freighter from Mrlsst, finally touched down on a landing pad in Il Avali after waiting hours for clearance. Its ramp lowered and a pair of small, feathered Mrlssti with ornate robes hobbled into sight and took a deep, refreshing breath of cool, ocean air. Then they conversed with each other pleasantly in their fast, indecipherable language as they waited for whatever reception the planet would have for them. They had told customs that they were simply here to visit, but with Druckenwell seemingly inspecting every ship they weren't sure what to expect. Each of them had small holdout blasters (well, small for a human, but just right for a Mrlssti) on their tiny hips. It was 12:01 PM local time.

Meanwhile, near the opposite side of the planet, where the sky was dark and the time was 1:01 AM, a police patrol cruised by one of the rehabilitation clinics. A good few minutes later, once the police were gone, a speeder van swerved to a sudden stop in front of the clinic, and its rear doors swung open to reveal a mounted E-Web blaster inside. It opened up on the clinic, pelting its hopelessly outmatched security guards, and the front of the building and its windows, with hot, red death. No doubt when he would read about this incident later, Senator Ryuun would recall a passage from Colonel Belkin's earlier report on illegal weapons, that "customs officials report that the current emphasis on spice interdiction is coming at the expense of emphasis on other contraband, such as illegal arms."

Message edited by Njon_the_Hutt - Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 8:15 PM

LomenRyuunDate: Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 9:05 PM | Message # 14
Lieutenant general
Normally, the slower Z-95 Headhunters would have been unable to catch up with the faster R-41 and R-22s, but when they made their second run, it gave Blue Squadron enough time to catch up to firing range. each of the twelve craft locked concussion missiles onto their targets, four per ship. It was overkill as the trio of attackers broke for empty space, but they'd have a way to go before they escaped the gravity well they'd entered to make their attack, and Blue Squadron's guns were hot and ready to give them a nice Druckenwell welcome, reserved especially for pirates.

Ryuun himself, returned from Coruscant to take a more personal hand in the current war on drugs on his homeworld, met with the leaders of the portworkers' union personally, attempting to broker a smaller deal of sorts, explaining that the portworkers, while valuable, would be granted a raise that would take affect over a time period rather than immediate, much as that which had been offered to the customs workers. It was a temporary fix, but it wouldn't break the bank immediately and it would get everyone what they wanted, at least for the time being. It would be a few years, after all, before it became a serious issue. When it came to the droids, the robot helpers themselves were instrumental in uncovering those on Njon's payroll (or those simply too lazy to do their job). For an offense of turning off the droid without mentioning it in the paperwork, a suspension was issued for a week for said customs agent. A second offense, occurring after an extensive counseling on the importance, would result in termination. Of course, there were those bound to slip through, but the agents who turned off the droids the most were those more likely to have their assets frozen and a legal investigation conducted for possible corruption.

Vandalism and delinquency would be nearly impossible to stop fully; nearly every world had a problem with it to some extent, but having it cut down was helpful alone. Fortunately, perhaps, for Ryuun, his team of investigators had done little outside the law, resorting to the old-fashioned methods of tailing and the occasional wiretap that was off the record. When the attacks against the rehabilitation clinics began in earnest though, Colonel Belkin and his men were reorganized and reformed, becoming the core of the Druckenwell Anti-terrorist Task Force. Belkin was given free will to recruit what men and equipment he needed.

Sitting in his office the morning after the attack, Ryuun sipped his caf and browsed through the paper containing Belkin's remarks. Perhaps he would have to ease up the emphasis on spice in favor of arms control. Yes. The focus would be shifted back to cover an equal amount of arms regulation and spice control, though it was easy enough to pass a new law regulating personal weaponry: if one did not have a permit, one was going to be in trouble. It was the generalized rule of unregistered weapons, and with a good half dozen freighters that had been found carrying illegal, heavy, unregistered weapons (said freighters had become impounded), the war was still on even footing.

The spice bar's owner(s) would be informed of the standing laws and that their premises would be subject to the searches that all legal spice-selling areas were subject to. For the time, it would be allowed to operate legally, but a close eye would be kept upon it.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Njon_the_HuttDate: Wednesday, 08 Sep 2010, 10:35 PM | Message # 15
Major
The Mrlssti standing outside the Shapani Flyer on the landing pad in Il Avali remained where they were, for now. Was there to be no inspection? But they had been told to expect one. One of the small, feathered creatures scratched the back of his head and said something to his partner. The other Mrlssti shrugged. Meanwhile, far above them, Barris smiled as he pulled back the throttle and dropped his R-41 Starchaser out of hyperspace. He glanced out his viewport and noticed his other R-41 doing the same beside him. Like the first one, these two also had a pair of R-22 Spearheads each running interference for them, only these had come out of hyperspace a considerable distance away from where Blue Squadron had gone chasing the bait. That gave Barris and his other R-41 a free go at the Hardcell-class transport before them, waiting patiently for its spice inspection. The two R-41's closed in on the transport and, like the first a moment ago, opened up with lasers, ion cannons, and concussion missiles—the barrages were aimed at the exposed fuel lines just above the massive, massive fuel tanks on the ship.

Meanwhile, the pair of R-22 Spearheads from the first formation peeled away from the R-41 in an attempt to draw fire away from it. One of them cleared the gravity well (they were, as aforementioned, very high above the planet) and made a blind jump to hyperspace. The other one made it back to the freighter whose engines they had blasted out a moment ago, rounded it, and cut his engines. All four of the missiles on his tail impacted the freighter at 4:08 PM Coruscant time, blowing its cargo bay and several of its compartments wide open and venting whatever was inside, along with durasteel debris and some of the crew members, into space. The R-22, whose pilot was feeling proud of himself, throttled up again went to join up with Barris and the others. The first R-41, meanwhile, fired a burst of chaff and gunned its engines as hard as they would go. Another moment and it would be home free, if it managed to get clear of the missiles.

On the opposite side of the planet, meanwhile, the attack on the clinic had apparently gone undeterred. With the damage done, windows broken, and security guards crumpled on the duracrete outside, the doors to the van latched shut and the vehicle sped away into the night. It would be found in the morning, abandoned in an alley with the E-Web nowhere to be found—probably swapped into another vehicle when it was out of sight.

To his credit, Ryuun did resolve the tension with the portworkers union, even if he was, in effect, handing this burden to his successor. But as he noted, there would always be ways to circumvent customs. If some of Njon's people simply turned off the droids, others arranged for the droids to have "unfortunate accidents" that would require repair or replacement, knowing it would take time. Or, perhaps, an inspection requires a certain number of agents and there's no room for the droid in the speeder. There were many possibilities, not to mention that smugglers—of which Njon had many at his disposal—made a living on keeping their goods hidden from inspections. For now, his supply on Druckenwell remained steady. Yatooni Distilleries, for now, had nothing to do with it.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Applied Business (Applied to Druckenwell, that is.)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz