MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Tuesday
3:07 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Spice Regulation Bill
Spice Regulation Bill
LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 15 Aug 2010, 11:34 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant general
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Senators, it has come to my attention recently that spice craze is growing exponentially. While legalized forms of spice are well and good, even allowed by some member worlds, there are still a good number of illegal variants marketed by the Hutt Cartel, among other groups, that are harming our citizens, not only in mind and body, but in other ways as well. A spice addict, after all, is likely to spend his entire paycheck without thought to his family, thereby increasing the dependence on the New Republic's welfare systems. What we need, Senators, are rehabilitation clinics and tighter spice control laws.

What I propose will soon be put in effect on Druckenwell:

1) All trade vessels entering a New Republic member world will be strictly searched with a variety of means including sniffer sensors, personnel searches and droids, as well as trained animals, to ensure they are not illegally smuggling spice.

2) Vessels found smuggling illegal substances such as spice will be confiscated and impounded until their owners can pay a hefty fine to ensure they will not smuggle such again. The spice confiscated in this manner will be destroyed.

3) Synthetic spice will be issued in small doses at rehabilitation centers, allowing addicts to wean themselves from the grip of addiction.

I believe these measures will help in the near future and beyond.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Monor II (10 BBY - 9 BBY)
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall
Representative, Therenor Prime
Vice-chairman, Defense Committee (Temporarily suspended)
Controlling Shareholder - Druckenwell Arms Corporation

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 0:23 AM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
I am largely in support of this measure, as is the Commerce Council. Brentaal has similar policies of its own, in fact. However, Article 1 pertains to how a world conducts its customs inspections, and I feel that this is a matter best left to each world to determine for itself. Some planets, for instance, have more important priorities than interdicting spice, and the New Republic should not burden them with a requirement to search every ship that requests clearance—especially considering that many worlds do not have the means to do so. If this Article is dropped, the Commerce Council will be persuaded to endorse the measure, and I to vote favor of it.

LomenRyuunDate: Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 4:19 AM | Message # 3
Lieutenant general
Consider Article 1 dropped, though Druckenwell will pursue this measure.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Monday, 16 Aug 2010, 11:04 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Awards: 0
I am in agreement with Senator Cambrist regarding Article 1. However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be included into planetary laws throughout the galaxy. I am encouraging my planet, Mowgle, to pursue Article 1 as well. As of the bill itself, I vote in favor. I look forward on seeing Senator Ryuun continue to propose bills such as this one sometime in the immediate future.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

LomenRyuunDate: Tuesday, 17 Aug 2010, 10:40 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
President Gavrisom, seeing as there is no opposition, I would like to see this bill passed with the utmost haste, if possible.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Johannes_OswaldtDate: Friday, 20 Aug 2010, 2:27 PM | Message # 6
Major general
The only way to deter people from using spice is to make abundantly clear what the consequences are if they do. That is, the death penalty. Spice smugglers shouldn't be fined, they should be shot. That's the only way you'll deal with the spice problem, Senator Ryuun. Zero tolerance.

Johannes Oswaldt
Senator and Governor of Eriadu

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Friday, 20 Aug 2010, 2:42 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
Awards: 3
Despite Senator Oswaldt's rather extreme idea for the "regulation" of spice trading and use, I would llike to vote in favor of Senator Ryunn's measure.

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Saturday, 21 Aug 2010, 10:45 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Governor Oswaldt, it's always nice to see you appearing in the Senate. It's really entertaining to see you trying to propose extreme ideas, ideas that would have been passed by the New Order while Palpatine were in power and the Galactic Empire running the galaxy and all. Please do tell me, if spice smugglers gets death penalty and gets shot, then how do you expect sentient beings to react to this? Do you think they would just stay quiet and act like nothing happened? This is the New Republic, we do not accept death penalty. I will not support an action that would very well be the beginning of the transformation into another Galactic Empire. My vote still stands.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Johannes_OswaldtDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 10:18 AM | Message # 9
Major general
How would I expect the people to react, you ask? I would expect them not to do spice, or smuggle it. That's the point. I'm aware that the Republic "doesn't accept the death penalty," for now. But if it wants to be serious about stopping spice, then it should reconsider. Think of what a better place the galaxy would be today if drug smugglers like Han Solo had been shot decades ago.

Johannes Oswaldt

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 11:38 AM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Actually, I have a feeling that if people like Han Solo were shot, the galaxy would have been in a worse shape. Besides, how dare you berate one of the New Republic's greatest heroes known today? Yes, he did come from a shady past, but he changed himself for the better. So did many of the members of the Rebel Alliance. Governor Oswaldt should be called to order for slander. You are an Imperial, so you might view Han Solo this way but this is the New Republic and he is one of the war heroes that liberated the galaxy from the tyranny, persecution, and oppression of the Galactic Empire.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

LomenRyuunDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 11:50 AM | Message # 11
Lieutenant general
Senator Fowlkes, Governor Oswaldt, please. This is not an argument to be had over the prosecution of drug runners or sellers. As much as I find myself in an odd place, I agree in a way with the Governor. Yet I do not believe the smugglers themselves should be shot, but those who produce and run the drug cartels. This, however, is a personal view, and not one Druckenwell or Druckenwell's government intend to adopt.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Johannes_OswaldtDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 4:42 PM | Message # 12
Major general
"One of the New Republic's greatest heroes"? Piff, Sir! Han Solo is a loutish thug and a thuggish lout. He failed in the Imperial Academy, and so became a drug smuggler. Then he failed at that too, and went to hide in Leia Organa's skirts from a Hutt who, up to that time, he had been happy to work for. You only know him as a hero because he was complicit in the murder of three million innocent people on the DS-1 battle station that you call the "Death Star." He's made his living off of the infamy of this deed ever since, never holding an honest job since he realized that the Rebellion and, now, the Republic will pay for his house, his bills, and his ship. And in return, he does the only thing that he's good at. No, not being a father to his children. With his temperament and his reputed fondness for Corellian ale, it wouldn't surprise me if he beats his children. No, he's only good at killing people, like that poor innocent bastard he killed when he shot into a crowd of protesters on Bothawui a few months ago. If this is your great hero, Senator Fowlkes, you can keep him. He, like Ryloth, doesn't belong in the Republic.

And Senator Ryuun, I agree with you that the producers of spice should also be executed. In fact, if it were possible to execute them more than once, I would. The producers and the smugglers of spice, like Han Solo, are the reason that children are becoming addicted to drugs throughout the Republic. And even if his smuggling days are behind him, Senator Fowlkes, as far as I know Mr. Solo has never apologized for it or said it was wrong. Again, some hero.

Johannes Oswaldt

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 5:44 PM | Message # 13
Colonel general
Gentlemen, and at this point I use that term loosely, please. I am sure that Senator Ryuun had absolutely no intention for this bill of regulation to be degraded into petty bickering. If we could get back on topic....

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010, 12:18 PM | Message # 14
Major general
Gentlemen, Senator Thanatos is right. Please limit your remarks to Senator Ryuun's proposed bill. And Governor Oswaldt, you are warned not to disparage public figures like Mr. Solo in a slanderous manner. Now, are there any further comments or votes before the measure is closed?

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Johannes_OswaldtDate: Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010, 2:38 PM | Message # 15
Major general
Fowlkes started it. But fine, I've said enough. And nothing I've said was "slanderous," either. I didn't say that Han Solo beats his children, for example. I said "it wouldn't surprise me if he beats his children." Everything else I said about the man are facts, not slander. But yes, I've said all I need to.

Johannes Oswaldt

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Spice Regulation Bill
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz