MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
9:27 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Automation of the New Republic Military
The Automation of the New Republic Military
Do you think automating the New Republic would be a good idea?
1. Yes [ 1 ] [11.11%]
2. No [ 7 ] [77.78%]
3. Possibly [ 0 ] [0.00%]
4. In principle [ 1 ] [11.11%]
Poll has expired - Monday, 19 Jan 2009, 11:33 PM
Answers total: 9
Exar_RayDate: Wednesday, 14 Jan 2009, 8:10 PM | Message # 16
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 0
With all due respect, Senator... this system that you have suggested would almost be unslicable. I take this as a fact that the AI can still be turned against us. And times have changed for both good and bad. This is no longer the Old Republic we serve, technology has changed... as has the ability to conduct more illegal things, with slicing being high upon the list. As for your example, you are indeed correct, however with a head cut off from a droid; it still may be able to fight, however it cannot see, which means that it is out of the fight. Arms cut off; then what will it use as a weapon, it's head? And finally the legs; then how is it able to walk then? To move to defend and avoid itself. It surely risks destruction or capture which means that our enemies would have unlimited access to what's inside. Your assestment between droid and human are indeed correct, however how could cancer suddenly appear on the battlefield? Unless our enemies implies chemical warfare, then I highly doubt that one. A heart suddenly stopping? Then the soldier should not have picked a combat role. Do not forget, Senator, that even though droids are repairable... what good would it do repairing it in the middle of a battle when it's just an easy target once disabled. We would be wasting material that should be going into artillery shells.

Surely there is a balance to everything, but we must see both sides. My views may be biased because I have been involved with the Civil War myself, served on the front lines for a short while, and even was imprisoned. A droid cannot be programmed to take face of the brave and heroic soldiers of the Rebel Alliance. And even if it can, a droid is not able to be programmed with will... no matter how green you may turn in the face Senator Kruus, trying to explain this. The Clone Wars... as dasterdly as it was, proved that human soldiers are far more effective in a battlefield then droids. If a simple AI can be created to link all the minds together, then it can also be created to shut them down... a tool that would no doubt prove us useless against our enemies. And you are wrong, Senator. There is willing loyalty and there is forced. Willing loyalty wins wars... not loyalty programmed. It takes heart and spirit... something no droid is able to receieve.

Exar Ray
Senator of Dantooine

Eli_FitzgeraldDate: Sunday, 18 Jan 2009, 11:39 PM | Message # 17
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 1
I don't disagree with Senator Ray but with respect to him and Senator Kruus, I think we're getting off topic. To answer the proposal specifically, as you'll remember I was wary of the expense and massive bureaucracy that would result from your first suggestion, and as far as I can tell, your second suggestion would be "merely" a large, semi permanent bureaucracy extended over a period of perhaps 50 years, instead. This just doesn't seem very desirable (or practical), either.

And of course there's the expense, as Representative Bo'var as noted, the technology, as Senator Cambrist has said, and as Senator Fowlkes has pointed out, there are considerations about how we want the New Republic's image to be represented to the galaxy. Ours is, afterall, an arsenal of democracy, comprised of volunteering men, women and sentients of all sorts who elect to serve and defend their families, their homes, and their ideals despite the risk to life and limb because they are passionate about this cause. We want our member planets to feel that they have a common enterprise that they share with the New Republic, and nothing symbolizes this more powerfully than those willing sentients who enlist.

To instead have a fleet that is merely programmed (in effect, compelled) to be "loyal" without passion or free will, would contradict the very concepts of freedom, autonomy, and self-determination for which this Republic stands and fights. This is not a small or sentimental issue, and I for one will not compromise the cause we're fighting for simply for the economy of the fight. In this sense, I am absolutely agreed with Senators Ray and Fowlkes and I remain firmly against this bill. I also stand by my earlier remarks.

However, research into new, ion-repulsive shielding (or droids capable of withstanding the effects of an ion cannon), and research into droid technology to complement (not replace) organic crews might be useful, but I oppose the expense and the bureaucracy involved in the project. Instead, I would be willing to offer contracts or tax incentives to private companies to research and develop these technologies. Many corporations are already working along these lines, and no doubt are doing so more efficiently than the government ever could.

Eli Fitzgerald
Chief of State

Added (19 Jan 2009, 0:39 Am)
---------------------------------------------
If there are no further comments or votes, then I declare the debate closed. The measure is defeated.

Eli Fitzgerald
Chief of State

Eli Fitzgerald
Senator of Ralltiir (10 BBY—Present)

"I was elected to do some flamethrowing in the Senate. To a light a fire under those Senators and make it hot for them."

Message edited by Airstrike_Fitzgerald - Friday, 16 Jan 2009, 8:40 PM

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Automation of the New Republic Military
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz