MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Thursday
3:14 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Automation of the New Republic Military
The Automation of the New Republic Military
Do you think automating the New Republic would be a good idea?
1. Yes [ 1 ] [11.11%]
2. No [ 7 ] [77.78%]
3. Possibly [ 0 ] [0.00%]
4. In principle [ 1 ] [11.11%]
Poll has expired - Monday, 19 Jan 2009, 11:33 PM
Answers total: 9
Simon_LeviDate: Sunday, 11 Jan 2009, 8:18 PM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Gentlemen,

I am here today to propose an idea.

In the war with the Imperial Remnant, untold millions have died in the service of the New Republic and Rebel Alliance. Every day mothers are forced to weep for their offspring, for every day we hear of more casualties in the New Republic Military. This should not be taken as a criticism of them, they are an excellent professional fighting force who conduct war in a highly efficient manner, every day laying down their lives for the cause of freedom.

But I raise the question to you, would it not be a good idea to simply take these men from being threatened? Why not simply cut down the number of people in the New Republic Military?

Automation can do great things, it is possible to have a ship so automated that a capital ship can be steered with a simple joystick... this is this not an incredible feat.. indeed most of Neimoidia's merchant ships are piloted by droids or AI, or a combination of these. Hence I would propose the following.

The New Republic Military be comprehensively restructured.

I would propose that an AI is programmed, a semi-sentient AI programmed to save the lives of New Republic Citizens, and this be given full command of our military forces, with possible senatorial oversight (a commission should be launched to deicide on the precise perameters and remit of the computer).

All ships in the New Republic fleet would be given a copy of this AI, and slaved to to it directly, individual crewmen on ships would be replaced by mechanical counterparts, who simply do not require many of the things organics do, so allowing us to design new ships along vastly more efficient lines, reducing the need for life support, crew accomodation, recreational facilities. Humans would be minimised so that perhaps aboard a capital ship there would be a few crewmembers, to communicate with the AI and give it an organic perspective on matters.

The whole New Republic Military could be organised efficiently, and wheilded as a single weapon, defending us, with little loss of life and huge efficiency. Naturally questions will beraised about moralistic programing of the AI, but that is a simple technicality, that can easily be resolved in detail by a committee.

Now, this would render a huge number of people unemployed, however, in the long term this would not be an issue, we could offer competetive severance packages and retraining as well as expanding the state in other areas temporarily to find jobs for these individuals till they reach retirement age. Over time a great deal of money would be saved, as such an AI controlled military could be left to find its own resources, produce its own vessels and the like, leaving us with a guardian who eventually costs little or nothing to the state.

This would allow us to either: give our citizens a massive tax cut, cut government defecits to nothing, improve services, or simply over time all of the above.

With a fully automated military we save lives, the most precious thing in this galaxy, never again will we hear of the deaths of armies of soldiers, never again would mothers mourn their sons and daughters taken from them in the primes of their life by the forces of those who attack us. And for those more economically inclined, we save a great deal of money in the long run.

Moff of the Tammuz Sector

Eli_FitzgeraldDate: Sunday, 11 Jan 2009, 10:24 PM | Message # 2
Major general
Awards: 1
It's a bold idea and eloquently presented, and while I agree that it would, of course, save lives and permit us a massive tax cut (which I am inclined to support), I must oppose your suggestion regardless. I realize that Neimoidians have been using droid technology in their merchant fleets for some time, but I still don't consider it proven; afterall the old Republic, with its live, sentient crews consistently outperformed the Separatists in the Clone Wars, and I would suggest to you that the brave, fighting beings of the New Republic fleet are superior to droids, hands down.

But there are other reasons I oppose the measure; there would indeed be well over one million sentients out of work immediately, with tens of thousands more defense industry jobs likely to follow. Finding these people work, as you suggest, would be a massive undertaking ("expanding the state," as you called it), and would inevitably require a tremendous, unwieldy bureaucracy to impose itself on the sovereignty of those thousands of worlds that our crews call home. I would also be very mistrustful of a single Artificial Intelligence operating our fleet, even with appropriate safeguards, because we've seen in episodes like the Great Droid Revolution and the Mechis affair how technology can defy us, with catastrophic results.

Finally, it is the most fundamental of the New Republic's responsibilities to its citizens to keep them safe, a duty which our crews volunteer for at the risk to their own lives. We want to spare the lives of our crews as well, obviously, but until we have seen the Imperial Remnant defeated, at least such that it no longer poses a threat to us, I will not gamble galactic security on such a perilous, and unproven proposition. Particularly with the very formidable logistics involved.

Eli Fitzgerald
Chief of State

Eli Fitzgerald
Senator of Ralltiir (10 BBY—Present)

"I was elected to do some flamethrowing in the Senate. To a light a fire under those Senators and make it hot for them."

Exar_RayDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 1:14 PM | Message # 3
Major general
Awards: 0
I am very disturbed by this proposal. While we did manage to defeat the Empire with the help of droids, it took the very hearts and spirits of fighting men and women to do things that droids are not capible, or even modifiyable to do. For those of us whom have been on the frontline, and even held as prisoners of war, would know where I'm coming from with this. I for one, along with all the veterans out there, will not allow to let droids (whom are very easily able to become sliced or destroyered) take over our rightful places as defenders of the galaxy, when we have the spirit of patriotic men and women to answer the call. But do not get me wrong... droids are very useful, and very willing to die for what they believe in. But we also have to take into effect how easy targets they are. Sure they've surved their purpose numerous times in our current history, but we cannot be allowed to let them take over everything, while we have able-bodied galactic citizens able to do the work. And copying the words of the Chief of State, we would possibly create a problem with so many of our soldiers, sailors, airmen, etc. etc. not receiving a single credit. Sure it would lower death rates and keep them safe... but what good would that do us when Imperials or third party terrorists manage to hack into this supposted 'AI' of yours, Senator? Then what? We can say goodbye to everything we have done, and might as well just hang ourselves.

And also to copy the words of Chief of State Fitzgerald... what happens when they go haywire? Are we to suffer another droid revolt with OUR ships, OUR weapons, and OUR supplies? Until we have the frontlines cleared, I will not allow droids to simply take over everything. No. I'm sure many of my colluges will agree with me when we say we need patriotic soldiers... not droids just programed to do our fighting. Because then victory on the battlefield would be a simple game of chess. I oppose this.

Exar Ray
Senator of Dantooine

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 4:41 PM | Message # 4
Colonel general
Senator Kruus,

As great as it sounds in automation of the New Republic Military, I must say I am strongly opposed to this. I appreciate your ideas of reducing the loss of lives. However, what is to say we won't have another "Great Droid Revolution" on our hands like the Chief of State have mentioned? The droids could be useful, but it could work as a big disadvantage against us. Let me tell you a story, there was a terrible conflict fought between the millions of clones and droids. Obviously, it was the Republic fighting against the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Which one of your people, former Senator Viceroy Gunray, have supplied with an army almost full of droids. But the Confederacy lost the war not because there was no leaders, but because the droids were shut down. That left the Confederacy with basically no army to use, and it screwed them up.

It's an incident I do not wish to happen to the New Republic. The battlefield is better fought with actual soldiers with a deep loyalty to the New Republic, not machine without feelings and consideration of what the outcome might be.

Tremaine Fowlkes,
Senator of Mowgle

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 5:16 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Not to mention the loss of jobs for every sentient being that can and wants to have gainful employment. While droids are useful in preventing the loss of sentient life, it is too big of a risk. Furthermore, I feel that it is personal choice to join the military and fight for one's freedom, beliefs, and home worlds.

Therefore, I agree with the other senators in their opposition to your proposal.

Ilanah Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 6:27 PM | Message # 6
Major general
I am preparing a detailed explanation of my suggestion.

But do not get me wrong, I am not proposing turfing out every single New Republic Military member overnight, or by replacing them exclusively with machines.

I propose a slow mechanisation, over perhaps a pair of decades. Also, do not get me wrong, I dont propose replacing the people of the New Republic Military with the mindless killing machines used by my own people in the Clone Wars, rather a sentient machine with a strong sense of the value of sentient life. I would also suggest caution against the argument "what if it was hacked into", organic minds are equally falliable to mechanical ones, and equally as easily manipulated. For example, the Emperors solidification of control throughout the Galaxy was akin to a slice into a digital system, but atleast with an intelligent machine, or a bank of them co-operating, would would be more likely to realise the others were having problems.

I would also like to add such an AI would of course be under Senatorial Oversight.

While I will detail my policy in detail later, I would like to request it not be straw-manned before I can propose it.

Added (12 Jan 2009, 7:27 Pm)
---------------------------------------------
I would propose the following implementation, bear in mind this is a vague guide. Also bear in mind the AI would not be designed along the lines of any previous war machine. Any previous revolutions have been simply because AI have been designed along the wrong lines, if a machine is programmed to be a benevolent guardian, that is what it will do.

To make the argument "machines have operated badly before" is a very poor argument to make, sure, we can all quote examples where machines have committed atrocities, but I hate to admit that I can quote vastly more examples where organics have committed them. The fact remains, that just like us, machines can evolve, adapt, learn, improve, and to draw a parralel between any hypothetical military computer and IG-88 rebellions is like drawing a paralel between Grand Moff Tarkin and Admiral Ackbar because they are both organic. What matters is what is inside, in essense their 'programming', the only advantage to be enjoyed is that with digital life forms we can control the circumstances of creation, growth, learning far better than organics, and edit or remove negative aspects.

Present day: Research into what would be required to create a sentient AI with a sense of value for life etc. Research into self-replicating ships/war units. Field testing of AI units and ships in an experimental capacity. Research into organic-mechanical integration within ships.

5 years: The first fully active service AI units come into service. The NRDF begins to reduce recruitment. Pending senatorial review of the project.

10 years: The AI section of the military should be self sustaining by this stage. Recruitment is limited to supervisors and moral advisors for AI staff.

20 years: The AI section of the military now makes up 50% of the whole military. Senatorial review as to the effectiveness and value of the project.

30 years: The AI section of the military now stands at full strength of the military, ships are mothballed as their crews age, as crew retire younger crewmembers consolidated aboard remaining vessels and units.

40 years: The organic portion of the military should now largely be at retirement age, and remaining units formed into exploration units and used to explore the parts of the galaxy not yet cartographed.

50 years: Remaining organic personnell limited to integrated organics acting within AIs as "safety restraints", making sure the AI acts humanely and takes into account organic issues etc. Remaining NRDF forces retired. Ships left over largely recycled into AI vessels and units.

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 9:03 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
I don't think you get the point why we do not want Artifical Intelligence, Senator Kruus. Anyone may correct me if I am wrong on this matter. The point of the matter is supposedly this AI does not do well against the Imperial Remnant or our future enemies? What happens when an enemy is able to figure out how to defeat the program without having to hack into the systems, merely through the fighting? When this day happens, we don't have real soldiers to fall back on. By then, most sentient being within Republic would probably have little to no skill in warfare.

What I am trying to say is this. Although it does seem like a great idea, are we willing to compromise the integrity of the Republic in order to allow the machines to take our place? My vote on the matter still stands.

Tremaine Fowlkes,
Senator of Mowgle

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 12 Jan 2009, 10:04 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
And viewing the matter more practically, without organic crews, our fleets could be quite easily rendered inoperable with competent ion cannon fire and communications jamming. I have nothing to add to the other objections to this bill, except to suggest (without malice) that Senator Kruus' concern for the sanctity of life ("the most precious thing in the galaxy") is ironic from a species that encourages its Senate staff to eat one another as punishment for inefficiency.

Senator Cambrist, Brentaal

Simon_LeviDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 6:30 AM | Message # 9
Major general
Senator Fowlkes,

Your argument, while on the face of it logical is essentially flawed in one real way, you underestimate the capacity of machines to learn, improvise, adapt and overcome. If an AI learns that one particular strategy is innefective, another strategy would be used, if a weapon was innefective, another would be used... An artificial intelligence would also be vastly better at gaugeing what form of attack would be effective and at applying such an attack in the most efficient way.

I would also hasten to add that the remnant would be defeated fairly soon in this project, especially if the current strong action is taken. And I would hasten to add not having an army is not without precedent, as the Old Republic ran for thousands of years without any military at all.

Senator Cambrist,

I would like to probe your argument somewhat. Saying "machines are vunerable to Ion cannons" is essentially true, however, it makes as much sense as saying "Humans are vunerable to turbolasers"... Yes, machines can be damaged by Ion cannons, but I see no reason this would make them any more ineffective than current vessels which also have those weaknesses, and ones, which I hasten to add are easily remedied by redundant systems and reserve systems.. I would also hasten to add, that the current vessels in service operate by a co-operation of organic and machine, and require both to function, how for example is a disabled ship with organics on better off? The ship is still disabled.

I also firmly believe that over the next 50 years shielding would be developed to largely repulse Ion fire, or machines not effected in the same way by it.

Also, if we consider, the AI might possibly be some kind of organic machine, which would negate much of the Ion cannon argument anyway.

Exar_RayDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 1:07 PM | Message # 10
Major general
Senator, no doubt would funding for this AI be very costly... as you say yourself that it can be made to learn and adapt to situation. This is something I am un-trusting of, as you have yet to answer my concern for the slicing of such an AI. Sure you've made your point with the turbolaser on a human, but I see it like this. A machine will be the first to drop dead when something goes wrong with the circuits. However for a human, knowing if he is about to die, will continue to fight knowing what will happen. Let's look at the scale... I would feel MUCh comfortable knowing a New Republic soldier fought to the end then rather have a system error and completely shut down. Shielding designed to repulse Ion Fire, now this is something that I can agree with... however no doubt costly as well. Looking at your time table... I am very disturbed by it, and my vote is still the same on this matter.

Exar Ray
Senator of Dantooine

Senator_CambristDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 2:59 PM | Message # 11
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
For Senator Kruus to make the "firm" pronouncement that, within fifty years, there will exist shielding technology capable of effectively repulsing ion cannon fire, and to do so without a degree in astrophysics, displays a level of confidence and optimism for which I commend him. Admittedly I do not have such a degree either, but considering that we still do not have such technology almost 4,000 years after the first documented use of the ion cannon inclines me to doubt that we will develop it any time soon.

However, to dignify the Senator's prior point; the difference is that organic crews can repair systems and machinery that have been rendered inoperable by ion cannon fire, and that, secondarily, droid operated fleets have been proven miserable at improvising to a loss of (or tampering with) communications. Your proposal, Senator, would aggravate the risk in both instances, and all of this is notwithstanding the other, very relevant objections raised by our colleagues here today.

Senator Cambrist, Brentaal

Simon_LeviDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 6:37 PM | Message # 12
Major general
To address Senator Ray

Such a mechanical being could potentially be sliced, yes (although security measures could circumvent this to a better extent than we can protect the say blackmail of a few senior commanders, or other coercion of organics). I would disagree with your assertion that a machine fights worse when doom is apparent or when damage is inflicted. I would also add that you can design a system almost impossible to slice, hence even the best of the Old Republic did not slice the Droid Master Control Signal throughout the whole clone wars!

For example, and just as an example, take a Magna guard droid, a fairly old piece of technology, with basic AI, when damaged, it will figh on, even to the end, fighting even without head, arms, legs... until it is completely disassembled.

Take for example a human, and remove a limb, it loses more than 80 percent of its fighting capacity in the short term.. remove a limb from the droid I mention, and it stays fighting at almost 80% capacity. Artificial intelligences do not feel pain, they do not feel fear..

The argument that a robot can suddenly have an error and break, is perhaps correct, but equally, so can a human, a heart can stop beating, a cancer can develop.. organics. However, with a machine parts can be repaired infinately, replacements easily put in in seconds. And also with droids we eliminate the element of chance from the equation in terms of accidents etc, machines do not trip over, get ill, etc.

Shields designed to repulse Ion fire as effectively as normal fire do actually currently exist in the form of remodulating normal shields, however with the advances in technology it seems likely that a system will be developed equally able to deflect both without remodulation.

As for being able to repair vessels Mr Cambrist, some droids inactive and triggered to come active when the other systems are de-activated by a simple switch is very possible and a practical way to repair systems disabled.

I would highlight that the ships of the CIS in the clone wars were in some cases almost completely automated and were in most cases atleast fairly effective, even with older technology.

As for the communications systems being knocked out, if each vessel is fitted with a copy of the same AI, they should all logically know how the other vessels will act if communication is cut, and still function. Also possibly this can be cirumvented by having backup comms etc.

DannilBoVarDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 7:01 PM | Message # 13
Major
The podium from the non-elected but Chief Executive Officer of the InterGalactic Mining Core floated forward to address the assembly. It had been sometime since Dannil had shown his face in these chambers, but the events within the Tapani Sector kept him busy most days. A smile was on his face as he raised his hands and greeted several of his fellow Senators and Representatives, most of them of which he knew.

"It seems like a grand idea, and I fully like it from a humanistic--if I may be so bold to use the term--perspective. However, dealing at it from a perspective with which Representative Loran would appreciate, one must consider that the price cost--which I believe several Senators have illustrated already--would be rather large and encumbering for such an endeavor. Furthermore, it doesn't seem prudent to leave so many out of their jobs simply to replace their lives. Or perhaps I am mistaken? I will support such a bill provided that the Senator from Neimoidia can efficiently placate the following items to such a degree that is satisfactory to this assembly, and myself:

• The minimization of job loss due to the transformation of the fleet, partial or impartial, into automaton hands
  • The minimization of those industries that would have to shift there focus from vessel parts used for organic inhabitants
  • The price tag, roughly, of such an endeavor
  • A possible route for which to fund such a project
  • and finally, the overall time that such a project would take to be functional to it's full extent.

Following those items, I would like to stipulate that if we indeed decide to convert out fleet, what possible tactical advantage would we be offering to the Remnant in our moment of weakness. Can we support even a third of our fleet going into overhaul at the moment? I believe, in my firm opinion, that this project is too grandiose in it's scope to be attempted by the New Republic, and it's affects too large and burdening for this chamber to possibly consider at this time. Perhaps it would be better to address, or redress, the issue at a time of peace, when the tyranny of the Imperial era finally closes."

-----------
Dannil Bo'Var
Representative
InterGalactic Mining Core and Subsidiaries

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 7:04 PM | Message # 14
Colonel general
Senator Kruus, what fears me the most is that you just admitted that the droids do not feel pain and fear. Supposedly, civilians of the Republic or the enemy that has an army full of sentient beings, that just happened to die. Those people died in front of their families, or maybe needs someone to come up to the door and inform the news of their loved ones. The droids are not capable of that because they do not know emotions, which means they will not know how to comfort the mourning families. They would probably simply walk away.

You say that the Old Republic did not slice the Droid Master Control Signal throughout the entire Clone Wars. They don't have to, the clone troopers have clearly showed that they are superior to the battle droids. The Old Republic were able to defeat the Confederacy by fighting along several battlefields. What if the enemy, Imperial Remnant or some other faction, were able to do what the clones did? Then we are screwed up. Senator Kruus, you want us to replace sentients with droids, at what cost?

I believe we do not need to compromise the integrity of the Republic, by replacing the soldiers of our pride with droids without emotions. I do not believe we should replace deep loyalty with programming. I do not believe we should replace unorthodox thinking with predictable analysis that machines does. If I was a soldier and was stuck in a foxhole, which would I rather be stuck with? A sentient being or a droid? I would feel a lot safer knowing I have someone there with me, that I am able to put trust into.

Tremaine Fowlkes,
Senator of Mowgle

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Simon_LeviDate: Tuesday, 13 Jan 2009, 10:49 PM | Message # 15
Major general
I would like to dignify Mr Bovar with a detailed and sensible response I will take some time to compose, as such it should be ready within 24 hours.

On the other hand I will reply to Mr Fowles directly...

Droids can perform any function an organic can perform in an equal or superior way. I believe that if you took a high end cybot galactica model and gave it the job of say giving the news of a family death it would do it in a sensitive and consoling manner. The crux of the matter remains that organics are simply complicated machines made from cells instead of microchips, and just as one can be genetically modifyied for a pupose, a droid can be programmed for one...

Your argument that "the Republic did not need to disable the droid control signal, because the clones could beat the anyway" is very ignorant and foolish, no general, no jedi and no politician at the time would make the argument, all that was beeing looked for was a swift end to a brutal war, one where millions died daily, and the best minds of the Republic could not hack the CIS computers.

I am not proposing introducing an army of mindless zombies as the B1 droid was... and even a mindless Zombie as the B1 was, it was effective in certain circumstances or with excellent generals.. I am proposing a cohesive army of semi-sentient, intelligent efficient fighting machines, not something akin to a slow walking skeleton with a blaster.

I would finish withexplaining to Mr Fowlkes, loyalty, is a kind of programming, in organics, it is spawned by chemical reactions within a complex system, one that can be mapped and predicted... It is clichee to say a machine will act predictably... an organic can just as easily be predicted in his actions if you are able to study him in enough detail as any droid. There is no reason why a suitably programmed AI could not think outside the box in ways organics have not yet.

If I was a soldier, stuck in a fox hole, I would rather be stuck with someone who would fight alongside me, and defend my life to the last, than organic who would prioritise his own life over mine.. A loyal companion who would lay down his life without question, who can aim true at a thousand paces, who can out wrestle a wookiee... who could carry me a thousand miles and not tire... Mr Fowlkes, loyalty is just anothr kind of programming, and it is precisely the kind of tunnel thinking that organic and mechanical are seperate that is holding us back.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » The Automation of the New Republic Military
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz