MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
8:42 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Select Committee on the "Viceroy Kruus" (Hearing on Ethical Implications)
Select Committee on the "Viceroy Kruus"
Artemis_VandenDate: Saturday, 16 Jan 2010, 11:29 PM | Message # 16
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Senator Kruus, please do address Senator Niedra's remarks, if you will. Can a sentient being agree not to assert their Sentience Rights? I will concede that the answer is most likely yes, under certain circumstances, but to what extent? This is a subject on which I am poorly informed, but in which I am interested. There are instances, such as the enlistment of soldiers, in which an agreement is made not to assert certain rights. But are there not other instances, such as indentured servitude, in which such agreements are not permissable?

I will accept your answer to my previous question, although I do so reluctantly; you will recall that the premise of the question was that your son, hypothetically, would have committed a crime on another world, and it is that world that would have sentenced him to imprisonment. Thus, it is not Neimoidian society to which he would owe his debt, nor the Neimoidian government to which he would be expected to repay it. You see why, to me, your answer is not quite a satisfying one.

Artemis Vanden
Representative of the Naboo

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 18 Jan 2010, 12:04 PM | Message # 17
Major general
Awards: 3
A Sentient can of course choose not to assert his rights. So is common in many circumstances and minor contracts throughout the galaxy in labour contracts and soldiers enlistments. Generally these are contracts undertaken with the state.

If he was imprisoned on another world, then they would be responsible for his detention, the manifold confusion over the practicality would be their responsibility.

Moff of the Tammuz Sector

Artemis_VandenDate: Wednesday, 19 May 2010, 8:32 PM | Message # 18
Major general
Thank you for that answer, Senator, and thank you also for your cooperation with this committee. I would like to pose one final, hypothetical question to you before we adjourn, and do feel free to make this your closing statement as well if you so desire. But do, please, address what recourse the government of Neimoidia would pursue against your son, Ictood, if for whatever reason he should decide that he does not wish to fight? Suppose, let's say, that he comes to a firm belief in pacifism. I realize, of course, that this is unlikely, and I do not question the devotion of your son to the security of his world nor, indeed, to the New Republic. The question is entirely hypothetical, but I feel it is important. I presume that to reside, bodily, in a warship for a hundred years or more in which one is considered on active duty at all times might well, over time, bring about a change of conviction or belief (I note, also, that there has been no study of the psychological effects of such integration). I ask Senator Kruus, then, what if Ictood were to violate the terms of his contract and decide, willingly, that he wishes not to fight or otherwise be in service to the Neimoidian government?

Artemis Vanden

Simon_LeviDate: Friday, 21 May 2010, 5:02 AM | Message # 19
Major general
Senator Vanden, I see little point in further Hypothetical speculation. The Neimoidian (and potentially New Republic) Judiciary would decide matters regarding to laws. Should he wish to termiante his contract then I am sure he would be able to choose to do so at a reasonable juncture, but I am not a contract solicitor.

Also, bearing in mind that this is an advancing field, where we have already made significant developments in the past decade, we consider it extremely likely that technology may have advanced in the next hundred years that we may be able to safely remove an operator from a Kruus-class.

My son also retains the option to take his own life if he chooses to do so with age, as is often the custom with Neimoidians of a certain age if they feel that living longer may diminish their posessions.

Artemis_VandenDate: Friday, 21 May 2010, 5:47 AM | Message # 20
Major general
With regard to your second point, Senator, about future advancements in this technology one day allowing for an operator, such as Ictood, to be removed from his vessel, I am reminded of one further question which, you will be pleased to know, is not a hypothetical one (I would suggest, however, that hypothetical scenarios such as these are ones that should have been taken into account by the Neimoidian government before it embarked upon this project). Will you explain to the committee, please, what benefits the full and permanent integration of a sentient being into a warship would have, specifically, over traditional, cybernetic data goggles and comparable technology? The committee has received the testimony of expert witnesses who claim that there is little appreciable benefit of the former over the latter. Please do comment.

Artemis Vanden

Message edited by Artemis_Vanden - Friday, 21 May 2010, 5:57 AM

Simon_LeviDate: Friday, 21 May 2010, 6:14 AM | Message # 21
Major general
The full permenant integration allows the individual to increase his performance mentally by slaving processes to various processor banks, databases etc. For example with the Kruus-class full integration the operator has the ability to be simultaniously aware of all subsystems, to feel the ship as an extension of his body, to perform calculations with a thought that would take a minute to enter into any database.

If one observes the vessel's gunnery accuracy, this in itself shows a marked improvement on the data goggles you mention, essentially it enables the single operator to operate as a full bridge crew, and even to take manual control of individual droids aboard if necessary. A simulator using similar technology is available for the "Kruus-lite" systems found on Neimoidan Space Stations and Corvettes is available to demonstrate the "feel" of the use of the system. The Kruus-lite is roughly equivalent to a Borg Construct Aj^6 system but without the associated dissasociative effect.

Essentially a Kruus-class operator is able to perform the work of perhaps 100 sentient bridge crew, not to mention advanced control of other droids allowing them to act as efficiently as sentients in some respects. If the Kruus-class was to be crewed (even with the Neimoidian tradition of massive automation) it would require a crew of atleast 250, that is 249 more beings put in the firing line every day of active service instead of the one of the Kruus-class.

The project may have been a rushed one, which would likely not have been implemented in todays political climate, however, due to the urgency of the situation and the crises in the years leading up to the class' creation, Neimoidia's Defense Council considered such a project to be the only practicable way of securing a significant technological advance ahead of the Empire, and to defend against assaults such as those on Raithal, without full militarization, and of securing the shipping lanes which at the time were constantly threatened by predation from the Empire.

Artemis_VandenDate: Tuesday, 25 May 2010, 1:22 PM | Message # 22
Major general
Since the Senator has mentioned the Borg Construct Aj^6 system, let the record show that a representative of BioTech Industries, which manufactures that particular system, has testified to this Committee that the Kruus immersion system is, I quote, "unproven, untested technology," and that it "takes chances with the mind of the operator," in this case the ship's captain, Ictood. I'm grateful to the Senator for his candor in admitting that the Kruus project may have been concieved in haste. This, to me, seems to lend credibility to BioTech's contention that this is, indeed, unproven and untested technology. Senator Kruus did say, only a moment ago, that there were still considerable advancements to be made in this field (past experience in this field, also, has proven disasterous). Certainly the Senator would admit also that there have been no long term studies on the health effects of the Kruus immersion system and that Ictood has indeed, willingly of course, "taken a chance with his mind"? Since we are here to study the ethical implications of this system, I ask, in the Senator's opinion, is this ethical in and of itself? That is, with regard only to its means, not its ends.

However, with respect to those ends and also to your remark a moment ago—"if the Kruus-class was to be crewed... it would require a crew of atleast 250, that is 249 more beings put in the firing line every day of active service instead of the one"—are you arguing that it is ethical to subordinate the rights of one individual to potentially benefit other individuals, or that it is simply more cost effective to do so?

Artemis Vanden

Simon_LeviDate: Thursday, 27 May 2010, 4:28 AM | Message # 23
Major general
Senator Vanden,

I question your impartiality which has clearly been breached and your opinions have clearly been voiced in this case through the use of questions which imply our government is at fault.

BioTech has had no involvement with our project, BioTech has never been involved in our project and has never had the ability to see the schematics for the system (which are not available to them as they are classified by our Government).

As for the question regarding "taking a chance with ones mind", we all take such chances when we alter our conciousness, whenever we drink a stimulant or a depressant, an ethnobotanical etc.. there is always a chance to your mind. Is it ethical? I believe that is a very subjective question... is it ethical to sell alcohol? I believe if you wish to continue this line of questioning you would find better answers from a philosopher. Chances or not... no harm has been caused, and that is surely the major relavent point. The first space exploration involved risk, the first hyperspace travel.. risks are always taken in the cause of progress, and so long as an individual voluntarily undertakes them then I see no problems with this.

As for there being progress to be made.. there is progress to be made in every field, that is the point of science. Just because a technology is progressing does not mean that it is not already at a surgically high degree of safety and technology.

With respect to the question relating to crewing levels. I am making the argument that the fewest men in the firing line the better. I make that argument in all fields.. and yes it is acceptable for one individual to take the same risk as 250 would have to make if it allows those 250 to stay at home, safe, and if the individual chooses to do so.

I would remind the committee we are becoming circuitous here.

Neimoidia also highlights a technoloy which has been tried and tested for a decade is clearly not untried. Equally the Imperial Neural system was a very primative example, linking sensors and controls directly to a brain would always be foolish. Our system does not directly link them but runs the inputs through computer banks to prevent the organic element becoming overwhelmed. Comparing the two is akin to comparing a simple circuit to a modern database in its sophistication.

Message edited by Senator_Kruus - Thursday, 27 May 2010, 4:54 AM

Artemis_VandenDate: Wednesday, 21 Jul 2010, 0:09 AM | Message # 24
Major general
If I may make an important distinction, since my impartiality has been called into question. My questions to you, Senator, are not intended as criticisms. But I am anticipating, where I can, criticisms of the Kruus immersion system that are relevant to this committee and giving you the opportunity to respond to them. I commend you for having done so here today in a candid and cooperative manner. Your words here today will be entered into the record and considered in the committee's final report. We thank you for your time and your testimony and, if you have nothing else you wish to add, you are excused.

The committee is adjourned for lunch and will reconvene in two standard hours, at which time we will receive the testimony of Rachel Levitt, ethicist from the University of Coruscant.

*and with a pound of the gavel, the hearing came to an end*

Artemis Vanden

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Select Committee on the "Viceroy Kruus" (Hearing on Ethical Implications)
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz