MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Saturday
2:33 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » Out of Character » Two Requests In One
Two Requests In One
Rath-DeschainDate: Monday, 05 Jul 2010, 12:12 PM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Users
Awards: 1
the first request pertains to drasek cale and will occupy him for the majority of my time here at npc. it wll not be played out and is mainly brought to mention behind the scenes. this request is for gene therapy to change his looks and features, down to the hair and bone structure, giving him a new identity. this is the same process undertaken in the james bond film, 'die another day.' i can't link to the wikipedia article unfortunately.

said process can be done by the expert hands of jared tallon and his rather large supply of items on his personal vessels. seeing as how he is attached to the ebon fist, it will be an easy matter.

the second is to request the release of treylon voss. i mean, the rp has been dead in the water for some time and having him back would be useful.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

OrionKarathDate: Monday, 05 Jul 2010, 2:32 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: Administrators
On the gene therapy, give me some time to look into that. I'll have an answer later tonight for you. As for Voss, since I am in charge of that, I will take responsibility in getting distracted by the Baltimn thing, but primarily, just been waiting for a time in which you were solidly back. Are you back with us for a bit, or do you have more training coming up? If you are back, we can get that rolling tonight.

Orion Karath
Manager from June 2009 to Present, Administrator from December 2011 to Present
My posts here, pre-2009 archives here

Rath-DeschainDate: Monday, 05 Jul 2010, 3:31 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
i'm back for the moment until we actually go out to the fob for the five to eight days. until then, i'm solidly back; at least as solid as the army lets me get.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

Jace_VaritekDate: Tuesday, 06 Jul 2010, 8:01 AM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Awards: 4
I was talking with Orion about the gene therapy last night, and he and I agreed that nothing short of Kaminoans or EmPal SuRecon could reasonably accomplish such a feat (if anyone can). How it is that some minor North Korean colonel managed to do it in Die Another Day is kind of inexplicable, as is the procedure itself which appears to be far beyond technology in the real world or even in Star Wars—there are a surprising number of impersonators and impostors in the canon who have some plastic surgery, but nothing like this. And even this "typical" plastic surgery doesn't appear to be all that typical, or practical. Moff Disra comments on this in Specter of the Past, when he mentions he spent eight years searching for someone who resembled Thrawn enough to impersonate him. Mind you, if the gene therapy you describe can be done by one doctor in a pirate ship, it would certainly be available to an Imperial Moff. But it is not available to Disra, or else he'd have done it. This is only one example, however. If the gene therapy could be so easily done—or done at all—it would be far, far more common in the literature.

I call this the "ion cannon rule," a reference to the fact that The Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology, first edition, notes that shields are powerless to stop ion cannons. The Essential Guide, as far as I know, is the only source that has said this. It doesn't make sense, though, if for no other reason that that if it was true, all ships in Star Wars would use ion cannons exclusively, all the time. The fact that this doesn't occur in the films, books, games, etc. implies, therefore, that there's a reason it doesn't occur. In the case of the ion cannon, the Essential Guide is simply wrong. I think this rule applies also to the gene therapy. It doesn't appear anywhere because, one has to assume, it's simply not possible.

These are the IC considerations that lead me to be skeptical of the gene therapy. There is an OOC consideration as well, however. Namely, as interesting as it might be for plot purposes, I'm wary of introducing a situation into the RP that essentially removes all consequences from one's actions. I feel like this could cheapen the RP for other players, particularly those who, prior to now, have had to suffer through the consequences of their actions. It's also not as though Drasek isn't well off, either; he is, after all, a powerful Dark Jedi with a pirate fleet at his disposal. In this respect, I'm inclined to say as I did with the prosthetic lightsaber hand, that he has enough going for him already. It's for all these reasons that I vote to DENY the gene therapy. I assume Orion will vote that way also, since we discussed it and seemed to be agreed.

Also, on a personal note, I've always felt that Die Another Day was the worst Bond film in 30 years, since 1971's Diamonds Are Forever. Unsurprisingly, as Wikipedia notes of Die Another Day, "the smuggling of diamonds and the use of a satellite with a powerful laser, and the villain surviving the pre-title sequence and returning with a new identity were the themes lifted from Diamonds Are Forever." I think Die Another Day reached such flamboyant heights of improbability—the gene therapy, the death ray, the ice palace, the invisible car, James Bond surfing, etc.—that it played a very large role in precipitating the new Daniel Craig era of Bond films, with their return to simple and realistic plots. As Roger Moore said, "I thought it just went too far. And that's from me, the first Bond in space!"

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Rath-DeschainDate: Tuesday, 06 Jul 2010, 5:14 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
in that case, would plastic surgery be something that needs to be requested?

and i agree about the movie being horrible.

Rath Deschain
High Inquisitor

OrionKarathDate: Wednesday, 07 Jul 2010, 10:55 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
Well, concerning Die Another Day...the solar mirror generated ray weaponry is currently being explored as a possible space based weapon, but it would have probably have been placed about twenty to thirty years farther into the future for that...and NOT being done by North Korea, of all the countries. Ice palacess are common occurence in northern Sweden, so it's not so far out there regarding that. As for the invisible car, cloaking technology is currently being developed, with a possibly working example possible to be seen within the next decade or two. So, not necesarrily out there...it is, when being placed in the early 2000s...rather than in a scenario incvolving Bond's child or grandchild. Anyways.... it was, regardless, horrible.

Now, to the request itself, I don't see any foreseeable problems with plastic surgery, as some fugitives have been known to do such when on the run...but, before I say anything solid, I'd like to hear Jace's opinion on it.

Orion Karath

Jace_VaritekDate: Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 0:16 AM | Message # 7
Generalissimo
Plastic surgery should be fine. It seems to be widely available. As for Die Another Day, I suppose what we have is a conflict of expectations. That is, regardless of how plausible a solar laser or an invisible car or an ice palace is, it's not what I think of when I think of international espionage. If I wanted that stuff, I would watch Spy Kids. However, I also admit there's a case to be made for the fantasy elements in Bond films, since the 1960's films were steeped in submarine cars, volcano bases, space stations, etc. But personally, I've always preferred Bond fighting against the Soviets in Afghanistan (The Living Daylights), or some sinister media magnate (Tomorrow Never Dies), or anarchist terrorists (The World is Not Enough). Actually, I thought all of the Pierce Brosnan films were pretty good except for Die Another Day. The problem with it, I think, is that it was the 20th Bond film and, because of this, chose to include many homages to former Bond films, including the campy 60's and 70's ones. The result—an awful movie (to my taste), and a sour note for Pierce Brosnan to go out on. Which is unfortunate, because I thought he was getting better in the role with each film.

It's kind of funny this request has turned into a scholarly discussion of James Bond films..

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

Jace_VaritekDate: Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 0:29 AM | Message # 8
Generalissimo
Just to clarify, about the plastic surgery—I think it's fine as long as Cale's eyes, fingerprints, etc. remain the same.

Also.. Nightfire, the video game, has one of the best James Bond plots I've encountered and easily one of the best antagonists. Not sure if anyone has played it.

Jace Varitek

—John Maynard Keynes

OrionKarathDate: Friday, 16 Jul 2010, 0:09 AM | Message # 9
Lieutenant general
I think we're in agreement here.

Plastic surgery, which keeps identifiable traits intact-Approved

Release of Treylon Voss-Denied

Let me know when you're back and runnig again.

Orion Karath

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » Out of Character » Two Requests In One
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz