| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Your Opinion: Closing Time?
Jace_VaritekDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 1:19 AM | Message # 1
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
Jess was unhappy today (understandably) that I hadn't posted as Treslar on the "Into a Warzone" thread. For those of you who aren't aware, the thread is about my rebels kidnapping a couple of Senators (Ilanah Thanatos and Draken Tu'rot). It's no secret that I've had a hard time generating much interest in my rebel group (with the exception of Adam, whose interest in it I do appreciate). A large part of this is, no doubt, that I don't post as much as I should. As I promised Jess I would post tonight, I also had a think; I get discouraged easily, I know this. Sometimes it leads me not to post. But why was I discouraged in this case? (No, it's not because Tu'rot's responses to my sincere attempt to generate activity in the RP are, in fact, sheer farce; to the contrary, I enjoyed his posts). I thought ahead—supposing I capture these Senators, who is going to respond on the Imperial side? I RP as Sate Pestage, but I don't want to RP with myself. That'd be no fun. So who? Jaron? No disrespect to Jaron, but not likely. Would there be outrage in the Senate, perhaps? Who would this outrage come from? Jason Bertuman? Again, no disrespect, but there's been no posts from Bertuman this month. Ryuun? Ray? Ordan? Oswaldt? Nothing from them, either. Avadrie? If only, but I sense that despite her best intentions, she may be still more busy than she thought. We're all busy, so it's understandable.

I mention all this not to complain about specific people (I began this post admitting that I'm part of the problem, too). We are so few now that if any one person doesn't post in any one place, it seems to have an impact on other people and other places in the RP. Personally, I am discouraged from posting if I think nothing will come of it. It's wrong of me to feel this way when people like Jess in the "Into a Warzone" thread or Adam in the "Orvax IV Slave Fair" thread are quite willing to continue those threads with me, and I know I let them down when I don't post just as I am let down when others don't. There is less enthusiasm for the RP all the time; for instance, I think it can be said fairly that Karth is basically gone. So is Baird. There are large aspects of the RP that Jamie, for instance, simply isn't interested in. That is his right. Erik is busy coaching basketball—I know he enjoys that, and I'm happy for him. I, meanwhile, am busy with work. So is Cris. We all have lives.

There is going to be a time when none of us RP anymore. This is a fact. Together, we've delayed that time for many fun, challenging, thought-provoking years. Some of us haven't made it this far. Chris (Ryuka) is gone, as is Geo. Liz and Viera are gone. Adoven (Ryner) is gone. But none of us will go much farther if the RP continues as it has over the past months. Some people, indeed, may go no farther than here—Jess, today, considered giving up the RP. I find there's not much I can say to talk her out of it; the go-to excuses—"people are busy," or "it's just a dry spell"—no longer suffice. It must be said: the energy and the enthusiasm simply isn't here (not like it used to be, at any rate). Could it be that the inevitable moment is upon us? Is AGW, at long last, to end? Is this close-knit group of creative people, who have shared over 100 collective years of each other's lives, to part ways? We've generally not thought or talked about this in the same way people don't think or talk about death, but I'm interested in everyone's opinion nonetheless. Let's please speak freely.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 2:47 AM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Group: Users
Awards: 3
The point of our conversation yesterday may have been missed entirely.  Or part of it forgotten. Or something. It wasn't about that thread (which I honestly thought it was Roberts go on), or the lack of posting in general. It was about me wondering if I should be here/still fit in/ still needed to be here/ or if I was even -wanted- here. It was a personal feeling, that I thought I was expressing in confidence to a friend. And frankly, after talking to you and Adam, I felt better and even came up with some ideas. Because I expressed any sort of...whatever I expressed, this post was born. That will teach me just to keep my mouth shut, because I know someone will end up blaming me for this. 

Either way, it wasn't about agw closing, and you already know my opinion about that-no. Absolutely not. I really like it here and you shouldn't think of closing just because I needed someone to tell me I wasn't crazy. 

All of that aside, I feel like an idiot, again, so I'm going to slink out to GTA and pummel a few people at X-Wing and win  the tournament today. Cause that's what I do.

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Avadrie_volFyrDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 4:28 AM | Message # 3
Major general
Awards: 0
So sorryyyyyyyyyyyyy. I know, I hate it. I come back, and its like yay, but then I'm busy, so its sadface. I just posted on the into a warzone thread, if thats ok.

I know that in some other rps I've seen fade out - it helps to proverbially circle the wagons, keeping the players involved in fewer storylines, condensing characters, etc. 

Maybe we could put together an adventure styled storyline - with one person directing things as and the other interested players interacting with it. I know that soldiers conserve ammo when they're running low, so maybe we could do the same! I'd hate for this place to go away.

Lady Avadrie volFyr
Senator of Empress Teta
Defense Committee Member

Alyn_StarkDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 11:03 AM | Message # 4
Generalissimo
Awards: 2
Begging pardon, Jace, but there's still plenty of play left here. In regards to the Warzone thread, there's plenty of Imperials who would speak out. Ryuun and Domon certainly, from my aspect (Ryuun perhaps more than Domon because he's a friend of Ilanah), and then there's Moff Cole, ever present and ready to step outside his boundaries and attempt some sort of mission (dare we say, living vicariously through his top man, Jeremy Brogan?) who would be more than willing to play. The problem is that, having just been captured, there's no time to recognize them as missing or even have the Senate know yet.

I have put forth a major attempt to increase possible storylines in areas from the Sluis Sector to the return of the IHN to Prefect Cale's play on Dantooine. At this point, I'm trying more to build things up than anything. But this is far from dead, Jace. We've been borderline before and come back from it. I, for one, am not ready to close down and stop playing.

Alyn Stark
Lord of Kinyov
Senior Captain, Retired, Republic Navy
Head of House Malos (former)
Licensed bounty hunter
Majority shareholder, Lorrd Engineering
Owner, Stark Defense Conglomerate
Civilian Medal of Honor recipient
Representative, Lorrd (10 BBY-9 BBY)

Jace_VaritekDate: Saturday, 06 Apr 2013, 11:52 PM | Message # 5
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
It's possible I overreacted. I appreciate your posts, and I've heard from a couple of other people who've re-assured me that they're interested in the site, or can be made interested with some basic changes along the lines that Avadrie has suggested. I'll have more on this tomorrow, including a new commitment on my part to post at least once-daily. I'm so tired at the moment, though. But I did want to say before I go to sleep that my intention wasn't to make anyone feel bad, or to make anyone feel as though it's their responsibility to keep the RP running. To the extent this is a job for any one person, it's probably me, and I haven't done a particularly good job of it lately. But RP shouldn't be a chore, and that was the point of my post; that it comes down to everyone wanting to RP enough to do it. As I said, I probably overreacted. I get discouraged too easily. I'm feeling more confident about things now, but please allow me a day or so to continue to talk to people and I'll follow up with another post here.

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

LiaricDate: Wednesday, 17 Apr 2013, 3:17 PM | Message # 6
Private
Awards: 0
I want to rp more. The past 2-3 yrs I have been unreliable. It's always somethin now. I am tryin. But it's hard comin home after trainin and bein able to focus on a post. I've actually been fallin asleep on the shows I record.

Just so you guys are more aware of what's goin on I have my first debut kickboxin fight May 4th. My coach who has a pro fighter under his belt says I have a lot of potential. There is a chance I could make a career out of this.

• Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz