Wednesday
11:16 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Archive - read only
Forum moderator: Sate_Pestage  
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » Appointment of Temporary Successor
Appointment of Temporary Successor
Senator_CambristDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 3:44 PM | Message # 31
Lieutenant general
Group: Users
Awards: 6
Excuse me, Senator Ryuun. I was polite to Mr. Stark, a man whom I've met and thought that I knew, and I didn't raise the issue of his conduct during the droid uprising or the fact that he hunts people for fun. I remained polite to Mr. Stark until I found the absence of contrition from him offensive to my belief in the rule of law and not of men, and his subsequent innuendo offensive to me personally. If you (and Senators Domon and Lekpin—birds of a feather, apparently) want to play along with Mr. Stark and pretend that he wasn't attempting to question my integrity (as all three of you have also done), you are quite able and apparently willing to do so.

But know this, the so called "competition" from Mr. Stark's drones has nothing to do with this; I don't profit from sales of the Rothana design, and moreover, Mr. Stark's drones are no real competition to Rothana's sales (despite your repeatedly kind words about Mr. Stark's obscure company and its products), especially considering the embarrassing performance of his drones in the droid uprising.

I'm beginning to doubt whether Mr. Stark even has the temperament to be a Senator, from his conduct here today which can only be described as petulant. That he has answered any and all criticism of him with passive-aggressive innuendo is plain to see. Mr. Stark would have this debate about him be, instead, about Reuke Cambrist's navy service, Verence Terrawin's opinions of slavery, and Avram Kirkwood's attendance record. Yet, Senator Domon calls this an "inquisition" and I, according to Senator Ryuun, am an "instigator." What I am is perturbed, Senators, and I am not easily perturbed.

Alyn_StarkDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 4:56 PM | Message # 32
Generalissimo
Awards: 2
Drone sales aside, Senator Cambrist, because I can easily agree that Vigilance Technologies does not have the range and scope of Rothana, I disagree with your characterization of my conduct.

Between Senators North, Terrawin and Kirkwood, I've had my character questioned, been compared to a rebel, suffered insults as a person because I hold an Imperial Peacekeeping Certificate and had my loyalty and patriotism questioned. Even you have had the chance to offer your snide comments because I chose to serve the people and, as you said, you do not. There's only so much I will take, Senator Cambrist. I am an honest man and I speak my mind. If you're going to sit and insult me, you can't expect me to sit there and accept it graciously with a smile.

Therefore, perturbed or not, the question still sits at hand: what reason have any of you that is solid enough to deny me this temporary spot? Chairman Pestage, I would call upon you for your thoughts on this matter to quell the debate.

Alyn Stark
Lord of Kinyov
Senior Captain, Retired, Republic Navy
Head of House Malos (former)
Licensed bounty hunter
Majority shareholder, Lorrd Engineering
Owner, Stark Defense Conglomerate
Civilian Medal of Honor recipient
Representative, Lorrd (10 BBY-9 BBY)

Senator_CambristDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 5:21 PM | Message # 33
Lieutenant general
I didn't introduce military records to this discussion. I've answered innuendo with innuendo and insult with insult, and nothing more. I would point out to you, Sir, that few applications to the Senate are as acrimonious as this one, and since yours is the exception you might consider whether you're to blame, in part, for "instigating" the ire of otherwise temperate and thoughtful men. It is frustrating to me and I suspect to Senator North and the others that your unusually zealous advocates in this discussion claim that you've "learned your lesson" while you continue to insist that you did nothing morally wrong—again, it appears that you're unwilling to accept blame. This criticism of you is meant as constructive criticism, because the Senate doesn't need another Senator who thinks he's right when he's clearly not. One Zarcaine Kuriyoshi is quite enough. This, above all, is my concern.

As for a reason, I return to where I began this discussion—conflict of interest. I asked what you would do to reassure the Senate that you'd act in the interests of your people rather than your business interests, and your answer as I understood it was "nothing." If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Avram_KirkwoodDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 5:56 PM | Message # 34
Lieutenant
Awards: 0
Senator Domon, I do not see how a man who somehow escaped the now highly referred to and publicized fiasco of last week without any criminal charges, nor any serious jail time, is someone who has "learned their lesson". Mr. Stark, perhaps you should try being less self-righteous and condescending of opposition if you wish to gain any meaningful support in this chamber, no?

The Honorable Avram W. Kirkwood
Senator of the Cygnus Star Empire

General, Imperial Army (Ret.)

Alyn_StarkDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 6:00 PM | Message # 35
Generalissimo
Fair enough, Senator Cambrist. We can return to the starting point.

In response to your question, I ask one in turn: what would the Senate like to see me do? While I own several companies, I am neither chief executive officer nor am I a direct oversight officer on them. I could simply give my word that the people of Lorrd would come first, but I suspect that my word alone would not be enough.

Alyn Stark
Lord of Kinyov
Licensed bounty hunter

Augusta_AureliusDate: Friday, 08 Jun 2012, 6:48 PM | Message # 36
Lieutenant colonel
It is unfortunate to hear that you were hurt in the Droid Uprising, Senator Lekpin, but I am glad that you are alright and hope for a quick recovery from your wounds. I can tell you are frustrated by the opposition to your chosen representative to serve as Interim Senator of Lorrd, but do try to rest and stop making unnecessary efforts to speak on Mr. Stark's behalf in this chamber. Doing so is leaving some of us within this august body curious as to the need for a replacement as you continue to do so with the same vigorous dedication you have held in all debate you have been apart of thus far. I beg of you Senator, rest, and return to us once you are healed.

Mr. Stark, may I first start by saying, thank you, for attempting to help Senator Lekpin when he asked of it. According to Senator Lekpin's story, the Empire might've not even found him in time and we could be morning the death of two notable Senators, rather than one, this week. You must understand too, the apprehension the Senate feels after the events of last week, and your involvement, and the perception many have of said involvement, despite the good that you did. We've lost our own in this recent attack, and we don't want to lose more by letting a "possible enemy" into the Senate itself. You must also understand that talking down to most, if not all, of your opposition does not paint a picture one would wish to buy; nor does a seemingly blithe attitude towards very serious accusations you've been face with lately.

With that said, I've only met you twice, once in business on my homeworld and once in passing here on Imperial Center. What I do know, and what I base my assessment on, are the facts. Your surname used to be Malos, although I am unsure of the conditions surrounding your name change. I know that you served with my husband in the Republic Navy during the Clone Wars, in the Dark Reaper Campaign and at Muunilinst; he was a Captain of one of the other Acclamators in your Line during those campaigns. I know that you turned down commission in the Imperial Navy following the conclusion of the war. I know that you more or less refused to take leadership of your house, favoring to focus on industrial and commercial efforts. You are a veteran, war hero, and baron of industry. While leadership of your corporations do concern me on the front of conflict of interest, that remains to be seen as fact, and at this point is mere speculation, as seems to be all other opposition to you, no offense intended to those who do oppose Mr. Stark. I see no reason, personally, why to bar you from entry as the Interim Senator of Llord, and thus Approve of your admittance to these chambers.

Augusta Aurelius
Queen Conosrt of Deralia
Chair of the Human Rights Monitoring and Crisis Resolution Sub-Committee of the Planetary Defense Committee

Senator of Deralia and the Tammuz Sector (30 BBY - 18 BBY, 10 BBY - Present)

Alyn_StarkDate: Saturday, 09 Jun 2012, 7:41 PM | Message # 37
Generalissimo
I thank you for the moderate approach, Senator Aurelius. I can understand the Senate's difficulty in accepting an outsider that has, in their eyes, flouted Imperial law. Despite the accusations hurled at me, I can admit that I broke the law. Yes, it was wrong and for it I served my time in an Imperial penal facility. That being said, my record is spotless. I do not say this to improve my standing and detract from what I have done, but I point it out to show that as an Imperial citizen, I follow the law to the letter. However, from a moral standpoint, I would not be able to stand before you today if I had not moved to save Representative Lekpin. Would the Imperials have gotten to him before more harm came? Who can say? I can only defend my actions by stating that the life of a good man is always worth a risk.

To balance that, however, I can assure the Senate that I'll not be jumping into Imperial battle zones in the future. I am reluctant to take up the mantle of Interim Senator, Senator Aurelius. Were it not for the choices of my people and the insistent urging of two of the Houses of Lorrd, then I would not have stepped forth. Politics are far more deadly than battle in some ways, but I am here for the good of the people of Lorrd and, if I can in my own way, for the people of the galaxy.

If anything, I wish to bring to the table stricter laws concerning planetary fleets, inter-planetary conflicts and improvements on trade. I am not here to advance the wealth of my companies; they do fine under the existing laws and I see no reason to be greedy. Greed is the downfall of many a powerful being, after all.

Alyn Stark
Lord of Kinyov
Licensed bounty hunter

Senator_CambristDate: Saturday, 09 Jun 2012, 7:53 PM | Message # 38
Lieutenant general
To be clear, I'm not opposing this application, but I'd rest easier if the appearance of a conflict of interest was addressed. To that end, Mr. Stark, might I recommend you appoint a personal ombudsman to advise you on ways that votes for or against certain measures may or may not benefit your business interests? I think this would reassure the Senate and your constituents that there is no conflict of interest, and it wouldn't inconvenience you terribly. I think the gesture, more than anything else, would be appreciated.

Alyn_StarkDate: Saturday, 09 Jun 2012, 7:56 PM | Message # 39
Generalissimo
I can agree to this, Senator Cambrist. It's not an onerous request and it's one I can easily accept for the good of my people and the Senate.

Alyn Stark
Lord of Kinyov
Licensed bounty hunter

Sate_PestageDate: Friday, 15 Jun 2012, 3:53 PM | Message # 40
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
Certain Senators should know better than to "answer innuendo with innuendo and insult with insult." Senators aren't here to lock horns with one another, no matter how provocative the scenario may be. If there be heat, let there also be light; that is, let us be sure that our debates with one another, however heated, ultimately serve the purpose of illuminating the subject matter for one another and for your people—it's they who you represent here, not yourselves.

It appears the conflict of interest has been put to rest. Are there any more questions for Mr. Stark?

(For the record, Senator Domon, there is little I can do to expedite this process as the Senate rules clearly state that the Senate must be satisfied in its questioning before an applicant is admitted as a Senator—if you feel the questioning of Mr. Stark has proceeded to an unreasonable degree, you are welcome to propose a resolution declaring the Senate's satisfaction with the applicant, Mr. Stark. But provided that Senators (and Mr. Stark) are behaving themselves, I see no reason for any topic to be off-limits; any topic germane to the application, that is).

Sate Pestage
Grand Vizier of the Empire
Assistant to Emperor Palpatine
Chair of the Imperial Senate

Sate_PestageDate: Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 12:23 PM | Message # 41
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
No further questions? Then if you'll repeat after me, Mr. Stark:

"I, (state your name), do solemnly swear, under penalty of treason, that I will represent the people of (state your constituency) to the best of my ability, that I will bear true allegiance to the Empire, its Emperor, and its policies, that I will uphold and abide the Imperial Charter, that I will preserve and protect the principles of the New Order, and that I will defend all of these from all enemies of the Empire, both foreign and domestic. So help me."

Sate Pestage
Grand Vizier of the Empire
Assistant to Emperor Palpatine
Chair of the Imperial Senate

Alyn_StarkDate: Monday, 18 Jun 2012, 4:17 PM | Message # 42
Generalissimo
I, Alyn Stark, do solemnly swear, under penalty of treason, that I will represent the people of Lorrd to the best of my ability, that I will bear true allegiance to the Empire, its Emperor, and its policies, that I will uphold and abide the Imperial Charter, that I will preserve and protect the principles of the New Order, and that I will defend all of these from all enemies of the Empire, both foreign and domestic. So help me.

Alyn Stark
Lord of Kinyov
Licensed bounty hunter

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » Appointment of Temporary Successor
  • Page 3 of 3
  • «
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz