Wednesday
4:35 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Forum moderator: Sate_Pestage  
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » Proposal of Purchase of the Helska System
Proposal of Purchase of the Helska System
AdaaranDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 3:50 PM | Message # 1
Sergeant
Group: Users
Awards: 0
The following is a proposal from the Dominion Federation to the Empire, with copies of the proposal being sent to both the Imperial Senate, as well as the Imperial Ruling Council. As such, the proposal is as follows, that on this day, the Dominion Federation Council seeks to purchase from the Empire, the whole of the Helska System located on the border of the Dalonbian Sector, just a quick hyperspace jump away from the Dominion Federation.

In the recent months leading up to the decision by the Dominion Federation Council to bring forth this proposal, it has been recognized that the Helska System itself is an unproductive system, with as far as anyone is capable of understanding, limited to nearly no resources to speak of. Thus, if the Helska System is sold to the Dominion Federation, it would in fact be removing a tax burden from the Dalonbian Sector Moff. As such the Moff would no longer need waste taxes to patrol an empty system, allowing him to reallocate taxes and supplies towards more pressing matters of the Sector, while giving the tax burden and concerns of the Helska System to the Dominion Federation.

Signed,

Ambassador Baal; Dominion Federation

Adaaran the Unfeathered
President of the Dominion Federation Council
Supreme Commander of the Dominion

Verence_TerrawinDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 3:58 PM | Message # 2
Major general
I'm not opposed to the idea; I respect your faction's resolve and character for standing up to the Military-Industrial complex in the way it did and laud it for having the courage to risk dissent in acting to protect your people and by extension all Galactic sentients.

What is the opinion of the Emperor on the matter? For we cannot surely sell the domains of our "liege" without first consulting him?

Could you clarify for me the Dominion Federation's relationship with the Empire? It is a Dominion (presumably) so nominally independent of the Imperial State but still paying tribute to the Emperor as a direct "Dominion" of his with him as head of state? I'm just curious to know, I mean; I don't mind passing a system along like this (if all concerned are in favour) but would Imperial citizenship be forfeit for the locals?

Speaking of the locals; are there any? If so; I think they should get a say too.

Verence Terrawin

Senator of Alsakan
First Lord of the Foreign Office, Alsakan

AdaaranDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 4:11 PM | Message # 3
Sergeant
The Dominion Federation is as the name says a Dominion of Planetary Systems that Thirty-Two years prior to the Establishment of the Galactic Empire, did remove themselves lawfully from a corrupt Galactic Republic government as a means to secure the independence and safety of their people. As such the Planetary Systems decided to form a Federation out of the Dominion that they held, which has since then remained as the Dominion Federation. Thus like all other Sovereign States that are wholly independent from the Galactic Empire, we do pay tribute to the Emperor as we know our place in the grand scheme of the Galaxy. However, the difference between our Dominion and others is that we recognize the Emperor as the head of state of the Galactic Empire, while our own citizens recognize the President of the Dominion Federation Council as the head of state of the Dominion Federation. Therefore the Dominion Federation is a Sovereign Independent State that recognizes the power of the Galactic Empire and wishes nothing more than to dwell peacefully side by side with the Empire so that both of our peoples may thrive.

As such, we have always adhered to the basic fact that all Imperial Citizens or Citizens of other sovereign states not only have the fullest protection under the extent of our laws, they as well have the fullest extent of protection under Imperial laws. As such, any Imperial citizenship of the locals in question of the Helska System will not be forfeit, neither will their property. Though from our understanding, the Helska System is for all intents literally uninhabited.

Signed,

Ambassador Baal; Dominion Federation

Adaaran the Unfeathered
President of the Dominion Federation Council
Supreme Commander of the Dominion

Verence_TerrawinDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 5:20 PM | Message # 4
Major general
Ambassador,

I propose this..

We sell the Worlds, Mineral Rights and Governorship of the system to you, the Dominion Federation (as you say there are no inhabitants to speak of) at whatever cost the Emperor thinks fair but you would leave ultimate Sovereignty in the hands of the Empire?

Thus you'd own the system, and have the right to govern it, but it would not mean that territory that forms part of the Empire was de-jure being removed from the Emperor's domain?

Verence Terrawin

Senator of Alsakan

Sate_PestageDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 5:42 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
The Ruling Council has no objection to this provided the Moff of the Dalonbian Sector doesn't either. From the sound of it, he wouldn't—I don't understand the Helska system to be worth much in terms of resources, nor is there an appreciable population or any Imperial infrastructure there. One wonders why the Veragi Federation (pardon the Core parlance) would be interested in it. But provided a reasonable sum is paid for it I doubt the Council will be particularly curious. What is your offer, Ambassador Baal?

As for this issue of sovereignty, I concur with Senator Terrawin. You are welcome to refer to your federation as "sovereign," Ambassador, but do know that it is de facto sovereignty—your worlds are under the authority of the Moff of the Veragi Sector, but the delegated authority and administration of your federation. The Empire has been content to honor this arrangement that the Moff has with you, as the Veragi Federation is integrated into the Imperial tax system and capably administered on Imperial principles.

Presumably, a similar arrangement would be in order for the Helska system, should the Moff of the Dalonbian Sector consent to the sale.

Sate Pestage
Grand Vizier of the Empire
Assistant to Emperor Palpatine
Chair of the Imperial Senate

Ambassador_BaalDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 6:21 PM | Message # 6
Sergeant
The Dominion Federation Council full well understands the terms of the current agreement regarding the sovereignty of the Dominion Federation. At this moment we have appraisers who , even with considerable lack of prominent resources and the lack of habitable worlds, have come up with the following proposal.

Purchase of the Helska System for 100 Years
10 Billion Credits Payment
500 Million Credits every 10 Years
20% of all Credits from any sale of productions developed in and sold from the Helska System

Ambassador Baal
Dominion Federation

Geoff-ColeDate: Tuesday, 04 Dec 2012, 6:51 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
Awards: 1
Grand Vizier Pestage,

It was recently brought to my attention of interest in the Helska System; obviously such can be seen by Ambassador Baal's offer here. However, I am interested in making a bid myself for three specific worlds, largely on behalf of the very productive Dorvalla Universal Corporation. The first world is Helska V, a gas giant which would serve as a useful addition to Dorvalla Universal's gas mining operations. While Dorvalla Universal is capable of footing the bill for the platforms, I would ask that for the first five years, fifty percent of the profits from this world are returned to Dorvalla Universal with the other fifty percent going straight to the Empire. After five years, sixty-five percent of profits would be granted directly to the Empire.

The second world in question is Helska IV, which would serve as a perfect water mining planet, with the same amount of taxes and monies offered to the Empire. The third and final, Helska II, would serve in part as the new site of a Dorvalla Penal Facility and in part, providing there are no unwilling inhabitants, a weapons testing ground for products produced by Dorvalla Universal. Helska II would be at whatever price you see fit, and I add the bonus of these planets falling directly under an Imperial-owned company, which ensures that all profits and payments will be on time and no foolishness will be tolerated.

Geoff Cole
Moff, Abrion Sector
Controlling Shareholder - Dorvalla Universal Corporation

Verence_TerrawinDate: Wednesday, 05 Dec 2012, 9:16 AM | Message # 8
Major general
I would like the Grand Vizier to instruct the Sergeant at Arms to have Moff Cole removed from the chamber, if not arrest him; he's addressing the chamber by right and virtue of being an Imperial Moff and using that address to advocate a private business venture - this is a clear case of corruption by an Imperial Governor.

Verence Terrawin

Senator of Alsakan

Sate_PestageDate: Thursday, 06 Dec 2012, 10:03 PM | Message # 9
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
Moff Cole being aware now of the breach in protocol, I don't think that will be necessary, Senator Terrawin. Moff Cole is admonished to request recognition the next time he means to address the Senate. He is recognized for now, however, to speak as the primary shareholder of Dorvalla Universal (not, at this time, as the Moff of the Abrion Sector—this distinction is necessary for the record and for the proper mode of address).

However, I do share Senator Terrawin's concern about whether this is the appropriate venue for what appears to be a business proposal for the Empire. The Veragi Federation has a sound territorial reason to be requesting the Helska system, whereas, for Dorvalla Universal's purposes, gas giants are plentiful, as are sources of water, and a penal colony could be located anywhere. If there's a reason for Dorvalla Universal to acquire these rights to the Helska system more compelling than the Veragi Federation's proximity to it, then your proposal may be considered. At the moment, however, the chair is more favorably disposed to Ambassador Baal.

Sate Pestage
Grand Vizier of the Empire
Assistant to Emperor Palpatine
Chair of the Imperial Senate

Geoff-ColeDate: Friday, 07 Dec 2012, 6:54 AM | Message # 10
Colonel
My most sincere apologies, Grand Vizier, and you are correct; I do not stand here as Moff of the Abrion Sector; I stand here as the primary shareholder of Dorvalla Universal.

As you say, Grand Vizier, Ambassador Baal makes a most just and fair case towards the purchase of the Helska System. It is indeed close to the Veragi Federation's territory and as the Ambassador stated, it is also, at the time, an unproductive system.

The Dominion Federation, being what it is, after all, wholly independent of the Empire and a sovereign independent state, is likely going to be paying more than the worth of the sector. Dorvalla Universal is only requesting purchase and use on three of seven planets, leaving the majority still to the Dominion Federation for their use. This will allow them to save funds to improve the worlds of the Helska System, rather than come in with such a heavy burden of cost already resting on their shoulders. It is also cost effective for Dorvalla Universal to be situated in the system with them; with the existing patrol fleets Dorvalla Universal fields to safeguard our assets, I'm sure the Ambassador and I could come to some terms of a mutually beneficial agreement that would ease their own needs for security.

Geoff Cole
Moff, Abrion Sector

Avram_KirkwoodDate: Sunday, 09 Dec 2012, 10:01 PM | Message # 11
Lieutenant
Mr. Cole, protocol breach aside earlier, I am inclined to this idea, as a compromise. If both parties will entertain it, allow me to detail each side's terms.

The Kirkwood Compromise
Veragi Federation
Leasing of four (4) planets within the Helska System from the Galactic Empire for one-hundred (100) standard years; first rights to planet selection.
A single six (6) billion Imperial credit down-payment.
Lease payment of three-hundred (300) million credits every ten (10) years.
Twenty percent (20%) royalty of gross sales from sale of product developed or gained in and sold from the Helska System.

Dorvalla Universal
Leasing of three (3) planets within the Helska System from the Galactic Empire for one-hundred (100) standard years.
A single four (4) billion Imperial credit down-payment.
Lease payment of two-hundred (200) million credits every ten (10) years.
Twenty percent (20%) royalty of gross sales from sale of product developed or gained in and sold from the Helska System.

Would this be agreeable, gentlemen?

The Honorable Avram W. Kirkwood
Senator of the Cygnus Star Empire

General, Imperial Army (Ret.)

Ambassador_BaalDate: Sunday, 09 Dec 2012, 10:20 PM | Message # 12
Sergeant
Senator Kirkwood, while I applaud your hard work at desiring to come to a compromise, the Dominion Federation Council can not wholly support it, nor agree to it. Their first question though, and I agree in believing it is important, is how does the Dalonbian Sector Moff feel about a Sector Moff who is attempting to not only solicit for his own personal company, yet it also appears to be an attempt to expand his own power into another Sector. The Dominion Federation Council also believe and must ask what are the 'equal' claims that Moff Cole has to the Helska system, which is what this compromise implies.

The only claim we could find from Moff Cole is seeking to increase the size and location of his own personal company, which from our understanding is established in the Abrion Sector. Yet this compromise suggests that he and his company have an equal claim to the system as the Dominion Federation. Our claim of which stands out in contrast against his claim, that being for one, the singular fact of proximity to the Dominion Federation. Two, the concern of the Dalonbian Sector Moff would have of a rival Moff seeming to attempt to extend his power into other Sectors, and three being that the Dominion Federation finds it highly suspicious that Moff Cole would burst into the Senate just to push forward his own agenda on a planetary system so far removed from the galaxy, it makes us wonder if we are to need to worry if any future claims or proposals for purchase we put forward will not be set upon by Moff Cole in the same manner.

Ambassador Baal
Dominion Federation

Senator_OrdanDate: Sunday, 09 Dec 2012, 10:49 PM | Message # 13
Lieutenant general
I don't think Kirkwoods idea is practical. I think the lease is best made to one party or the other. I don't think I'm comfortable with a Sector Governor buying worlds outside his Sector. It really is a dreadful conflict of interests and creates a worrying precedent that other Governors may start buying up systems so that they can rule a wider volume of space.

Legally, it's also a minefield - which worlds would be in which jurisdiction? Who would govern these worlds outside of the Veragi rule? A Private Company? I'm not particularly in favour of granting a private company a one thousand year lease and functional sovereignty over Imperial territory. I do incidentally feel that Moff Cole is acting out of the most lofty motives and seeking to make the process competitive, I don't believe he needs to apologize but he has been gracious and I laud him for that.

Senator Hubert Ordan

Senator of the Azure Sector
Foreign Minister of Anaxes
Captain-General of the Azure Interest Protection Squadron
Deputy Chairman of the Ethics Committee
Worshipful Master of the Most Loyal and Honourable Company of Blockadeers
Archtreasurer of the Vault of Pols Anaxes
Autocrat of Selgon
Owner of Azure Durasteel
Systems Admiral (Ret)
Order of the Canted Circle

Geoff-ColeDate: Monday, 10 Dec 2012, 2:08 AM | Message # 14
Colonel
Senator Kirkwood, I confess I do like your compromise, which seems quite reasonable.

Ambassador Baal, I'll have you know that the Abrion Sector is lauded as one of the safest within the galaxy thanks to my work as Sector Moff. Nonetheless, Dorvalla Universal does and will continue to expand outside the Abrion Sector, largely because it is a private company and has never come into conflict with my Imperial duties. Furthermore, I quite heartily resent your attempt to discredit me by assuming I would make a bid for power within another Moff's sector. I understand you and the DomFed (calling them that for short) are your own sovereign... well, whatever, but that does not mean everyone is attempting to expand their own personal power, which it seems you are attempting to do. I, on the other hand, am expanding a company's sphere of power.

Legally speaking, I would place the worlds owned by Dorvalla Universal would still answer to the Sector Moff, by all means, and as to the matter of equal claims... Ambassador, Dorvalla Universal sites are among the best protected within the galaxy. Your own worlds within the Helska Sector would benefit from having Dorvalla Universal present to help defend your worlds in time of need.

Geoff Cole
Moff, Abrion Sector

Verence_TerrawinDate: Monday, 10 Dec 2012, 3:59 AM | Message # 15
Major general
1. I don't think splitting up the system is right - it's a natural unit orbiting around a single star, I am opposed to artificial and non-cultural borders.

2. I don't think a private company should be granted such wide ranging rights, nor for such a time. A lease to another government is understandable, but I'd prefer not to give a corporation a blank card for how to govern like this. For all we know these worlds could be settled in a decade or two, why should they then spend ninety years under an unelected corporatocracy.

3. No matter how enlightened his reasons, I am sickened and disgusted by the Corporate lobby (Kirkwood) and an Imperial Moff attempting to haggle for the fate of very worlds. This is not a house of barter but one of high virtue and law! You contaminate it I say, you make it a farce, an auctionhouse of worlds. For shame Senators and Governor, for shame.

Does Dorvalla need these worlds? Are they a logical purpose? Are they exceptional? No.

Does the Veragi Federation have a compelling reason to seek to explore neighboring worlds for resources - yes.

Quote (Sate_Pestage)
the chair is more favorably disposed to Ambassador Baal.

And on this I agree with the Chair, this is a vote on the offer as presented by Senator Baal and not a time for horse trading. I vote in favour of the original proposal to sell the lease to the Veragi.

Verence Terrawin

Senator of Alsakan

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » Proposal of Purchase of the Helska System
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz