MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Tuesday
7:41 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » Communications Node » A message to all Senator's of the Imperial Senate (A request for help.)
A message to all Senator's of the Imperial Senate
Slai-FonDate: Thursday, 07 Jul 2011, 9:18 PM | Message # 1
Colonel
Group: Users
Awards: 0
From the office of Slai-Fon Youngblood. On Coruscant
Subject: A request for help on the Food On Imperial Planet's Bill (FOIPB)

Dear senator's whom received this letter, I recently got a message from a dear friend of mine asking to revive a bill he had tried to pass through. You might've seen it. From Fabio Riada. I have been studying the bill, and trying to come up with ways to further improve it, but most of them would be rather costly and I do believe that is why the bill was closed in the first place. Anyways, I am asking anyone who has an interest in the bill to aid me in improving it, so that we can insure safety of all of the empire's citizens from harmful foods. You are welcome in my office at any time, or welcome to send me a message and I will respond as soon as humanly possible. Thank you for any support.

Signed Slai-Fon Youngblood. Senator of Planet Anobis, Bright Jewel sector's Anobis system.

Slai-Fon Youngblood, Senator of Anobis, and the Bright Jewel sector
Chairman of ISEC (Imperial Senate Ethic's Committee.)
Chairman & CEO of K/Y deep.

Avadrie_volFyrDate: Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 6:33 AM | Message # 2
Major general
To : Senator Youngblood of Anobis

SUBJ: Food on Imperial Planets

I was passed this message by my predecessor and I fail to see the need for such a bill. My system is as multicultural as one can get in the Core (perhaps even the Empire) and for thousands of years the various races and humans alike have survived without such a bill. I took the time to re read the bill in its entirety and review the Senate discussion that followed and I cannot in good faith support that bill in its present form.

I believe however, that its intent is not without merit. Who knows better than the individual; what is and isn't good for them? Perhaps the scale of the bill could be rewritten to only require restaurants and other establishments that serve food be able to provide a menu listing all of the ingredients used and cooked with so that the patron can make their own decisions?

A form of this was already suggested by the former Senator Crin Star, and while her reputation isn't of great renown, her idea wasn't without merit in concept. It is just that Empire does so much already and to create a whole new bureau and regulation for something that doesn't have to be quite so complicated seems a waste of effort, effort that could be better spent elsewhere.

At Your Service,

Ava

Lady Avadrie volFyr
Senator of Empress Teta
Defense Committee Member

Message edited by Avadrie_volFyr - Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 6:34 AM

Senator_CambristDate: Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 11:45 AM | Message # 3
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
Senator Youngblood,
(cc: "All Senators of the Imperial Senate")

I would suggest to you that the Senate may be the more appropriate venue for this discussion. However, as this document is before me and, having reviewed the original proposal (which is here, for those of you interested), it is apparent that local governments must be the basis for enforcement of this proposal, not the Empire. As Senator-elect volFyr has noted, the cost of having the Empire inspect restaurant menus would be (literally) astronomical, and the logistics of doing so would be a bureaucratic nightmare that would defy comprehension. The Empire can impose standards, but nothing more. To reiterate, compliance must be assured by local governments.

For a host of reasons, then, these standards shouldn't be too onerous; local governments have limited means and so do restaurants. The amendment proposed by Senator Fowlkes, for example, is not practical for the reasons Governor Oswaldt pointed out (incidentally, Governor Oswaldt's proposal is not unreasonable; Humans do constitute a plurality in the galaxy, as we know. But not everywhere. This, again, is an argument for local governments having some discretion on this issue). Senator Star's suggestion—to require that ingredients be listed—is the most reasonable I've seen, but I hesitate to endorse it as Senator-elect volFyr has. The problem is that, even if I am provided with a long list of ingredients, I'm unlikely to know which of them are dangerous to me (especially when we're speaking of alien cuisine, with which I'm not too familiar).

My feeling is that the holonet should be involved. It's easy to look up ingredients on the holonet and cross-reference them with the physiology of a particular species. Indeed, I've seen "apps" for this purpose. What if restaurants, in addition to being required to list their ingredients, are also required to provide holonet access on the premises? (And perhaps a computer terminal, for those without datapads). And this would be easy for local governments to inspect, no?

Or—

As Ms. volFyr has said, the bill might simply not be necessary. Leaving standards to local governments, as well as enforcement, largely does work. The exception, of course, are planets with governments (or without any government) minimally involved in these matters. But this, I suppose, is an obstacle for any proposal on any subject. Even then, though, the free market is largely self-regulating on this issue; restaurants don't want to poison their customers. It's bad for business. Thus, they have an incentive to be as forthcoming as possible with their ingredients whether or not they're required to be.

I hope some of these thoughts are of use to you, Senator. Regards.

Message edited by Senator_Cambrist - Friday, 08 Jul 2011, 11:52 AM

Slai-FonDate: Sunday, 10 Jul 2011, 6:24 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Well Senator's I thank you kindly for your thoughts. It was just a thought. Perhaps it's best left benched. Uh... I mean you all bring up valid ideas.

Slai-Fon Youngblood, Senator of Anobis, and the Bright Jewel sector
Chairman of ISEC (Imperial Senate Ethic's Committee.)
Chairman & CEO of K/Y deep.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » Communications Node » A message to all Senator's of the Imperial Senate (A request for help.)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz