MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Monday
2:34 PM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Ratification of the Morishim Amendments
Ratification of the Morishim Amendments
Ponc_GavrisomDate: Thursday, 24 Jun 2010, 10:27 PM | Message # 1
Major general
Group: Users
Awards: 3
Beings of the Senate,

I would like to propose the ratification of the amendments to the Bastion Accords which will provide for the de-militarization and disarmament in the Outer Rim, and consequently an increase in Galactic Security. Morishim will serve as a starting point towards an even safer and happier galaxy.

The amendments are as follows:

■ Imperial and New Republic citizens shall have access to each other's respective judicial systems for the redress of grievances relating to, and the prosecution of violations of, the Bastion Accords. Imperial subjects accused of misdoing shall, therefore, be tried in Imperial courts under Imperial procedures, and Republic citizens accused of misdoing shall be tried in Republic courts under Republic procedures.

■ The Empire and the New Republic shall establish embassies on a neutral or otherwise nonaligned planet, to be determined.

■ The Empire and the New Republic condemn slavery wherever it occurs, and shall not support the trade of slaves in any material or commercial manner.

■ The Empire and the New Republic shall not prosecute, or persecute, refugees entering upon one faction's territory from the other's, for political offenses committed during the course of hostilities between the Empire and the New Republic (from 4 ABY to 19 ABY). Stated for the record; desertion, for whatever motive, is not considered a political offense and shall be subject to prosecution.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Mical_de_CrionDate: Saturday, 26 Jun 2010, 0:55 AM | Message # 2
Colonel
Awards: 5
While I will suport this motion, and its intent, I do condemn the length of time it took the Chief of State to present these Amendments for ratification since the Morishim Summit. It should not take nearly four months for such legislation to hit the floor after its proposal... not when it is such an important and valuable piece to the maintainance of peace. I vote In Favor.

Mical Léo de Crion
Director, All Stars Burn As One Foundation
Chairman, Urban Youth College Fund
Owner, Château Hiver Rivière

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Saturday, 26 Jun 2010, 11:12 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Awards: 0
I will support this motion, despite my disagreements over the Morishim Summit. I vote in favor of the Amendments.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Sunday, 04 Jul 2010, 0:38 AM | Message # 4
Major general
It is because of the importance of these amendments that I have dedicated to them the time and consideration that they deserve. I would suggest to Senator Crion with all due respect that he too might benefit from more time and consideration of the measures he proposes, since his proposal to amend the Bastion Accords was, in a word, disasterous. His proposal was well intentioned, I'm sure. The amendments that I propose are well intentioned also, the difference being that these amendments have been discussed with the Remnant, studied and endorsed by the High Council, and endorsed also by the Council of Moffs. I have taken the time to listen to the views of those who support and oppose these amendments, and also to consider the implications of these amendments on commerce, law, and diplomacy. I have sought, and achieved, a broad consensus in favor of this proposal.

Had I not done these things, Senator Crion, then condemnation of me would surely be in order. But kindly do not condemn me for doing my job, Sir.

Senator Fowlkes, I thank you for your support. However I think that you and I agree more than we disagree on this matter. I would gladly make time to discuss these amendments with you after today's session, if you wish. I would value you as a partner in peace.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Sunday, 04 Jul 2010, 8:29 AM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Thank you, President Gavrisom for offering to make time to meet with me. However, like I have said in my proposal regarding the Jedi-Republic relations, my time is currently taken up by the Jedi Summit. But I would love to discuss with you on the Morishim Amendments when I return to Coruscant from the Jedi Summit if you wishes me to.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Artemis_VandenDate: Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 1:13 PM | Message # 6
Major general
I vote in favor of these amendments. With each word, each sentence, and each paragraph to which President Gavrisom and Admiral Pellaeon sign their names, the peace becomes stronger and the galaxy safer. It also demonstrates, to those who doubt, that the Remnant does indeed seem to be sincere in its commitment to the peace. There are faces behind those stormtrooper helmets, after all. If there is but one thing they have in common with us, it is that they do not want to die and do not want their children to die. Ultimately, Senators, we all want peace in our time—to see it ourselves,, and to see our children have the opportunities for education, science, the arts, etc. that peace gives to us and that war strangles from us.

These amendments are modest, but any step toward peace, no matter how small, deserves my full support.

Artemis Vanden
Representative of the Naboo

Janar_CerraDate: Friday, 09 Jul 2010, 8:28 AM | Message # 7
Major general
I vote in favor of these amendments.

Ja'nar Cerra
Queen of Garos IV
Acting Senator to the Republic, Garos IV

Senator_CambristDate: Thursday, 15 Jul 2010, 10:57 PM | Message # 8
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
I trust the Chief of State's judgment, as ever, and I support his amendments.

Cul-utaanForteDate: Friday, 23 Jul 2010, 12:02 PM | Message # 9
Colonel
I vote Against this with every fabric of my being. This is a horrid diplomatic venture...and our peace with the Empire, the very embodiment of evil the likes of which the Galaxy has never seen, goes against everything the New Republic stands for! I must be frank, and blunt, but agreeing with this might as well be High Treason. We have turned our backs upon our most basic principles...and I cite two of the three most important documents in our history. The Declaration of Rebellion and Declaration of a New Republic.

In the Declaration of Rebellion, our mandate was made very clear by Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and Garm Bel Iblis. They said to Palpatine and the rest of the Empire that we would:
"To fight and oppose you and your forces, by any and all means at our disposal;
To refuse any Imperial law contrary to the rights of free beings;
To bring about your destruction and the destruction of the Galactic Empire;
To make forever free all beings in the galaxy."

In the Declaration of a New Republic, signed by Mon Mothma, Ackbar, Leia Organa-Solo, Borsk Fey'lya, Sian Tevv, Verrinefra B'thog, Kerrithrarr, and Doman Beruss, we stated:
"The New Republic is dedicated to liberty, freedom, and justice for all beings in the galaxy."

The Empire still lives...and there are eight sectors in this galaxy in which all beings are not free and their sentient rights are violated on a daily basis. There are beings in the galaxy that are not enjoying liberty, freedom, or justice. Our mandate in our fight against the Empire is not complete, and if we are to be a legitimate government, we must set out to complete our mandate, and finally rid the galaxy of this evil. Or have we become only a government of words and not action?

Senator Fowlkes, my heart is broken by your support of this measure. You and Senator Thanatos have been two of the five pillars of the Anti-Treaty movement that has been spearheaded by myself, Eli Fitzgerald, and Orion Karath; upon which the entire Anti-Treaty movement relies upon. We may be missing some of our pillars, but that does not mean the fight is lost. In my recent absence due to domestic issues, you have transformed from someone I could rely upon and trust to continue our joint effort into yet another lackey yes-man for Gavrisom. Do you have no loyalty, sir? Do you have no dignity or self-respect? Can you not hold down your beliefs, or are you a regular Coruscant influenced politician whose opinion sways with the breeze? Are you the vanguard of the misrepresented, unfortunate, and oppressed as you have been known for over the past decade and loved and admired for throughout the galaxy? Or are you a traitor to your own beliefs and nothing more than a populist coward, afraid to voice their own opinion? I challenge you, sir, to find out who you really are before you continue serving in public office under the authority of your constituents. If you are not who you have been...then let the galaxy know who you are now, rather than attempting to hide behind the cloak of feined reluctance.

General Cul'utaan'forte
Forte's Legion

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Friday, 23 Jul 2010, 4:13 PM | Message # 10
Colonel general
Do you honestly think I would become a lackey for President Gavrisom? Do you honestly think I would abandon the Anti-Treaty movement so easily? I can assure you that my beliefs are still intact, and I am certainly not a coward. I am still the very same person that has been here for the past decade. You still see me defending the Jedi against Governor Oswaldt's ridiculous accusations. I'm still using my nonprofitable organization, The Helping Hands, to do various charity work in the Outer Rim. I have always stated that I am always in favor of peace in general, but I am not in support of the peace with the Imperial Remnant. I still view them as a threat in the galaxy, I also am in strong agreement with you that the New Republic should have finished them off. There are only eight sectors that the Remnant controls, and the New Republic have the ability to conquer every single sector. How do you think I felt when I've fought for the defense of the Outer Rim for so long? My proposal had finally passed, only to be "voided" by the Bastion Accords. Do you think I would lightly abandon my work in the Outer Rim? I still am a vocal supporter of the Outer Rim, and I will continue to be one. The Outer Rim does not have defense that is capable of repelling an Imperial invasion, or perhaps even a small coup de etat by an independent party. You're right, maybe I should not vote in favor because this is something I've worked so long for. Maybe I did have a moment of weakness. Maybe I did not. The reason I voted in favor of this is not because I am in favor of the peace with the Imperial Remnant. It is because I am in favor of the peace.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for calling me out. I should not do something that could easily be misinterpreted. I should be doing something that is very simple and direct, like I have done the past decade. Senator Forte, thank you for calling me out. I will continue to voice out against the Bastion Accords as much as I have protested at the Morishim Summit. Perhaps a lot more than that. In fact, did you know that I planned on hosting a Summit regarding the peace between the New Republic and the Imperial Remnant? I was going to send out invitations once the Jedi Summit gets wrapped up. Senator Forte, I am going to change my vote to against.

If you are still having issues regarding my recent performance, I will be more than happy to meet with you and talk it over. I will still be happy to arrange a meeting with President Gavrisom over this, but I stand by my most recent decision.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Friday, 23 Jul 2010, 4:41 PM | Message # 11
Colonel general
I will admit that I was a bit....taken aback by Senator Fowlkes' initial decision to support this measure. However, after hearing his reasoning, I did understand why he would stand as such. Despite that, I still would have, and will vote against this.

I am, as always, in support of peace.

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Artemis_VandenDate: Wednesday, 28 Jul 2010, 0:30 AM | Message # 12
Major general
Senator Fowlkes, I expected so much better from you. It is disappointing to see you reverse the courageous moral stand that you had taken on this measure simply because of the taunts of Senator Forte who, as always, chants for war. With all due respect, Senator Fowlkes, I can't believe what I am hearing from you. "I'm in favor of peace, but not with the Imperial Remnant"? Peace, Senator, is not something that is shared only with your trusted friends, but rather, it is something that is offered courageously to your adversaries. Thus, to be "in favor of peace," Senator, is to be in favor of peace with even your most hated enemies. Fighting them will not change them—decades of war have proven this. But already, in just one year of peace, we have seen the Remnant begin to change for the better because of the influence of our people and products.

What more proof of this do you need than the amendments that are before you? In them, the Remnant "condemns slavery wherever it occurs" and, also, declares that it will not persecute former combatants in the war. Is this so terrible, Senator? The Remnant has also put a decisive end to humanocentrism and required due process of law, and even the founders of the Rebellion that Senator Forte has mentioned—Mon Mothma, Leia Organa, Garm Bel Iblis, and the others—now support peace. Could anyone who signed their names to the eloquent words that Senator Forte has quoted be so wrong now? Could it be that they were right then and they are right now? Could it be, Senator, that they decided, as most of the galaxy now has, that there has been enough war?

Indeed, how many more children must grow up in a galaxy at war? How many, Senator? When is enough enough? And why are you the one to decide, and not the people? For the people have been heard—77% in opinion polls support the peace, and a recent proposal in this chamber to abolish the Bastion Accords was voted down decisively.

Senator Forte has quoted a number of individuals (all of whom, incidentally, now support the peace). I quote only one individual, from the debate over whether to abolish the Bastion Accords. "I find it ridiculous to even put such a proposition on the table when you state the fact that the residents of this galaxy are against war," she said, "Are we not to be working for the people?" These words were spoken by Senator Thanatos, a woman who I admire because she always seems to do the right thing. Except today. Senator Thanatos, if you too are "in support of peace," then why are you too voting against peace? Please, Senators, I beg you to reconsider. Do not be moved by the vengeful words of Senator Forte. In his heart, there is only the bitter desire for more blood and carnage.

Between Senator Forte and President Gavrisom, I do not hesitate to say which of them is the more courageous.

Artemis Vanden

Message edited by Artemis_Vanden - Wednesday, 28 Jul 2010, 0:33 AM

Cul-utaanForteDate: Wednesday, 28 Jul 2010, 1:33 AM | Message # 13
Colonel
The foudners were tired by war, and it is unfortunate that they have betrayed the New Republic and the very ideals that they expressed twenty years ago. It was the duty of our generation to continue their fight, and we have failed. We have failed. Let that sink in ladies and gentlemen. The disturbing, and tearfully sad fact, is that we have the capability of liberating the people still oppressed by the Empire...and we refuse to do it, because we wish to not shed blood. Did we say such when Tarkin killed innocents, including my wife, at Ghorman? Did we say such when Alderaan and its beauty was taken forever from the galaxy? Did Naboo say such when its peaceful teenage Queen was violently taken from it? No. We did not. So why do we say so now? It is because this government has become filled with cowards; cowards uncapable of sticking to the ideals that they clung to years ago as the only bright light in the galaxy. You call me a coward for standing up for the ideals that are nothing but a memory? I call you a coward, sir, for turning your back on the ideals that you took an oath to uphold when you were sworn in as a Senator a decade ago.

I ask you, Senator, how many more children must grow up opressed? How many, Senator, must live every day with the threat of loosing their life simply for not being human? How many, Senator, must die for standing up for liberty, freedom, and the other basic rights that every sentient is entitled to but are denied by the Empire? How many, Senator? How many beings are you willing to turn your back on in the name of peace? How many opressed sentient beings will you betray in the name of peace? Peace will not truely come through this treaty. It will come by the annihilation of the Empire. The execution of every Imperial officer. THAT, my friends, will bring about peace...a peace I can accept...a peace I can believe in. This is not peace, this is allowing tyranny to live and be forgiven. This is allowing for millions to continue to die unfairly because we wish not to fight. Senator Thanatos' comments are wonderful ploy, and taken out of context. I find it unbecoming of you Senator, whom I have held respect for as an advesary until now.Senator Thanatos was speaking upon the duality President Gavrisom was speaking; upon the extreme contradiction he was suddenly making and how misleading his proposal was. Just as he was misleading this body and the public, so are you, and this, I have absolutely no respect for.

General Cul'utaan'forte
Forte's Legion

Artemis_VandenDate: Wednesday, 28 Jul 2010, 2:22 AM | Message # 14
Major general
Senator Fowlkes, Senator Thanatos, behold the company you keep. Hear his words, Senators, and his talk of "betrayal," "annihilation," and the "execution of every Imperial officer," and ask yourselves if anything I've said about him is wrong. Senator Forte, I have taken nothing out of context. I quoted Senator Thanatos in full. Her remarks were succinct and, I believe, very wise. And Senator, Tarkin killed innocents at Ghorman, and he is now dead. The Death Star destroyed Alderaan, and it, too, is now destroyed. The 501st stormtrooper legion killed Queen Apailana of Naboo, and that legion is now gone. Vader is gone. Palpatine is gone. The Empire of today, Senator Forte, bears little resemblance to the Empire of the past, but still you do battle with the Empire of the past. I pity you, Senator, and your lust for blood and vengeance that will never die even if every single Imperial does. I pity you for how fitful must be your sleep, and how dark your dreams.

But the fact remains that the real cowardice here, Senator, is in he who cannot bring himself to face the truth that the war he has devoted his entire life to is now over.

I have never claimed that the Remnant is good or just, but our conversation has made abundantly clear that what is good and just for one man might be neither for another. What is beyond dispute is that the Bastion Accords now allow each and every world to make this determination for themselves—in other words, New Republic worlds are permitted to join the Remnant if they wish, and Remnant worlds are permitted to join the New Republic if they wish. This is hardly the ruthless oppression that you speak of, Senator, and nor is the Remnant's decisive end to humanocentrism nor its implementation of due process of law. I have already said all of this, and you have refused to hear me.

So I say it again. One year of peace has accomplished what twenty years of war could not and twenty thousand years of war cannot. Senators, if we remain committed to the peace I have no doubt that we will, in time, bring about the change we wish to see in the Remnant, and that evil will indeed be vanquished from the galaxy. Please, Senators, reconsider your votes. Do not live in the past and be forgotten in the future.

Artemis Vanden

Cul-utaanForteDate: Wednesday, 28 Jul 2010, 11:26 AM | Message # 15
Colonel
The only way we may bring change about in the Empire is by blaster and turbolaser. The only time peace is acceptable with the Empire is when it does not exist. I don't care what the founders say now...this is what our mandate is. This is what we declared to the galaxy we would do, and we have not done that. Cling to the idea that the Empire has changed as much as you want Senator Vanden, whatever you must do to sleep at night after turning your back on innocent beings, but do not attempt to manipulate those that still stand for the ideals that the New Republic and Rebel Alliance was founded upon. You claim these worlds can come over, and yet how can they do so when their planetary government is an Imperial government? You claim that with one year of peace we have accomplished more than we did in twenty years of war, and to that I take offense, for that is a slight against every proud being that has served in the Combined Defense Forces of the New Republic past and present, deceased and living. I counter you with saying that with one more year of war, there would be no Remnant. I do indeed sleep fitfully, Senator, for every night I think of the billions of beings that still live under the oppression of the Empire; of what other beings might be suffering by the hand of the Empire while I lay in a comfortable bed in a Coruscant apartment. When I can sleep, they are indeed dark dreams. That will only end, when the Empire is gone from the face of the galaxy, and when those eight sectors, to whom my heart goes out to entirely, are finally liberated, and they can live without fear.

General Cul'utaan'forte
Forte's Legion

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Ratification of the Morishim Amendments
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz