MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Tuesday
11:34 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » An Expedition to the Stygian Caldera
An Expedition to the Stygian Caldera
1. Aye [ 4 ] [80.00%]
2. Nay [ 1 ] [20.00%]
Answers total: 5
Senator_CambristDate: Thursday, 19 Aug 2010, 9:22 AM | Message # 1
Lieutenant general
Group: Users
Awards: 6
Senators, I propose a grand New Republic and Jedi expedition to the Stygian Caldera, a notorious region known, by some, as "Sith Space." It is a region that is as feared as it is poorly understood—no doubt, it is feared because it is poorly understood, and vice versa. The Caldera itself is essentially a large nebula that complicates travel in and out of the region. It is this and, also, its notorious history as a refuge for the "Sith Empire" of old that has discouraged any comprehensive exploration of this area.

What we know of it is that there are many, many worlds within the Caldera with Type 1 atmospheres, well suited to most sentient life. There are also worlds, such as Begeren, with an abundance of resources including gemstones. There is a network of established hyperspace routes, and also Sith ruins and historical sites throughout the Caldera that should be protected, and artifacts that belong in museums or in archives where both the New Republic and the Jedi Academy can study them. There is also a surprising variety of Force sensitive predators on many of these worlds, which should also be studied both for anthropological reasons and also the practical purpose of how best to stop these creatures.

But perhaps most importantly, there have long been rumors of worlds in the Stygian Caldera that are unknown to the New Republic, and were unknown even to Palpatine who, it should be noted, made various forays into the Caldera. These new worlds could contain resources valuable to the Republic or, possibly, threats to us. For indeed, as with any largely neglected region of space, the Stygian Caldera has played host to a number of fugitives and warlords in recent years. Warlord Zsinj, for instance, controlled much of the region until his death in 8 ABY. More recently, in 14 ABY, the so called "Disciples of Ragnos"--a Sith cult then affiliated with the Imperial Remnant—used the planet Korriban as a temporary base of operations and necessitated the use of three Mon Calamari cruisers and a large contingent of Jedi to clean them out. It was a costly campaign, and one that we can prevent in the future by exploring and monitoring the Stygian Caldera now.

The Defender-class assault carrier Wayward Son, presently assigned to the Republic's Fifth Battle Group, is ideally suited to this assignment and its crew has experience in exploration. I propose that it be requisitioned from the Fifth Battle Group and reassigned to serve as the command ship for this expedition. It would be fitted with various shuttles and starfighters, as well as sensor beacons, probe droids, and other exploration equipment. I also propose that the Jedi Academy be involved in this expedition—the Jedi can assist in navigation and in subduing Force sensitive predators, and also, naturally, the Jedi would have an interest in the many Sith artifacts in this region. They should be permitted to study them, as long as it is made clear that the artifacts themselves, holocrons, scrolls, etc., belong to the New Republic.

The Wayward Son would begin its expedition at Jaguada, one of the few inhabited worlds in the Stygian Caldera. It would then circumnavigate the so called "holy" Sith worlds on the Nache Belfia hyperlane, then, from the planet Khar Delba, travel the Kamat Aegit hyperlane to Begeren, in the interior of the Caldera. From there, I would suggest the commander of the expedition use his discretion in exploring the rest of the region as best he, she, or it deems appropriate. At each world, a comprehensive survey is to be made of the local flora and fauna, atmosphere, gravity, and also natural resources and the potential for colonization. There will also be sensor beacons left behind on these worlds to monitor potential threats that may reside there. As for those threats, the Jedi aboard the Wayward Son should be adequate to dispose of them, along with a contingent of marines.

I don't imagine the expedition lasting longer than two standard months. I vote in favor, and I also volunteer to command the expedition myself.

Message edited by Senator_Cambrist - Thursday, 19 Aug 2010, 9:24 AM

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Saturday, 21 Aug 2010, 11:11 PM | Message # 2
Colonel general
Awards: 0
I believe this is a very good proposal by Senator Cambrist. I'll fully admit that this sounds like a dangerous place to explore, but it's something that could be worthwhile. As Senator Cambrist pointed out, there are several natural resources for the New Republic to take on. There are several places in the region that could prove useful to learn about the past, and study of possibly several different unknown species of creatures that considered the region a home. The most important part of this expedition is threats against the New Republic.

If there are rogue Imperial elements or Sith cults hiding in the region, then they should be cleaned out before they truly becomes a threat to the rest of the galaxy. This is a dangerous mission. If we are going to approve the expedition, we will need to find someone with a lot of experience in exploration to lead the expedition. We will need to find someone that is capable of keeping the joint operations in one piece, among several other factors. Several different branches of the New Republic government are going to participate in this, and as well as the Jedi. As long as multiple agendas by different branches of the government does not hinder the progress of the expedition, I am fully in support of this.

I vote in favor of the expedition to the Stygian Caldera. I commend Senator Cambrist for volunteering to command the expedition, but I believe the Senate should take the position of the expedition leader seriously and discuss on this before making a decision.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Sunday, 22 Aug 2010, 1:31 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Awards: 3
I also vote in favor of this expedition, Senator Cambrist. But, much like Senator Fowlkes, I believe that the senate should discuss who heads this expedition, not implying that you are not the correct person for the job, but simply thinking of the need for you to remain here in senate....for the good of Brentaal.

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 0:10 AM | Message # 4
Lieutenant general
I appreciate your concern, Senators, and I will respect whatever the Senate decides. I would humbly remind you, however, if it is not apparent from the color of my skin, that the Cambrists are a spacefaring family. My father, Reuke Ur'Tsyne Cambrist XVII, discovered the route to the Rishi Maze, and my grandfather, Whilm Cambrist, is known for having explored the Kathol Rift. Even a very distant ancestor of mine, Dreighton Cambrist, was the first to venture into the Dreighton Nebula and discovered inside of it the planets Dreighton, Imdaar, and Aeten II, as well as the Arah asteroid belt (named for his wife, Arah Ur'Tsyne). It would be my honor to follow in their footsteps. I would also remind the Senate that I hold a degree in astronavigation, and that I lecture at the Brentaal Commerce Academy. I believe that I am qualified in this respect and, also, as a New Republic Senator, I believe I am well suited to balance the competing interests and agendas on this expedition that Senator Fowlkes has spoken of.

LomenRyuunDate: Monday, 23 Aug 2010, 3:05 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant general
Awards: 1
Senators, perhaps oddly, I oppose this proposed exploration. If there are indeed Sith cults, something I do not believe exist there at present, or Remnant, which is a tad more likely, sending a single vessel with little backup is hardly beneficial. I would propose instead monitoring the areas around the Caldera with less expensive and smaller-crewed vessels for a time to see what sort of traffic comes and goes. Based on those assumptions, then we could piece together the necessary arrangements, but I cannot condone sending our young men and women to their possible deaths for no definitive gain.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Monor II (10 BBY - 9 BBY)
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall
Representative, Therenor Prime
Vice-chairman, Defense Committee (Temporarily suspended)
Controlling Shareholder - Druckenwell Arms Corporation

Senator_CambristDate: Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010, 10:36 AM | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
A cult is no match for a New Republic warship, especially a carrier with large numbers of starfighters and, additionally, contingents of Jedi and marines. While the Senator's concern is appreciated, the fact that I've personally volunteered to command the expedition should demonstrate that the danger is, in fact, rather low—low enough, anyway, that it is worth braving. I'm sure the crew of the Wayward Son, as well as the marines and Jedi, would agree. However, if the Senate would prefer to send additional support ships to accompany the expedition, I would not be averse. But this would increase the budget of the expedition and, I feel, unnecessarily so. I would remind the Senator that, although the Stygian Caldera itself is relatively unexplored, it is surrounded by known space—the Essran Sector, the Wyl Sector, and the Sertar Sector, to name only a few. The point is that if capital ships had been moving in or out of the Caldera, we would know about it.

I must also emphasize that time is of the essence, now that the expedition has been announced. Every moment the expedition is delayed is another moment that scavengers could hurry into the Stygian Caldera ahead of us and remove as many of the artifacts there as they can. Also, if there are potential enemies in the region, I do not want to give them time to escape.

Ponc_GavrisomDate: Wednesday, 25 Aug 2010, 12:32 PM | Message # 7
Major general
Awards: 3
It has been a priority of mine to encourage exploration and other scientific endeavors to demonstrate what can be accomplished in a time of peace. That is why, as we speak, the Fifth Battle Group is exploring the Rishi Maze, and that is why I too support Senator Cambrist's proposed expedition. With regard to who shall command the expedition, does the Senate wish to suggest anyone else? If not, it does appear that Senator Cambrist is qualified to do so.

Ponc Gavrisom
Chief of State

Artemis_VandenDate: Thursday, 26 Aug 2010, 0:17 AM | Message # 8
Major general
I vote in favor of the expedition, but I too am concerned about Senator Cambrist commanding it. The Jedi, it seems, will be an important part of this expedition, and Senator Cambrist is a man who has, in the past, been abusive to the Jedi without relent. With all due respect to the Senator, how can we be assured that under his command the Jedi on this expedition won't be confined to quarters, or have their lightsabers confiscated, or some other form of abuse that, sadly, would not be uncharacteristic of him? While I do not have a suggestion for who else might command the expedition, I would like to hear the Senator address this point before I support him commanding it.

Artemis Vanden
Representative of the Naboo

Tremaine_FowlkesDate: Monday, 30 Aug 2010, 7:17 AM | Message # 9
Colonel general
Senator Vanden is right. If the Jedi are to undertake this mission, which they probably will, unless we feel more confident that Senator Cambrist is going to show willingness to work with the Jedi, I'm afraid we should find someone else to lead the Expedition. We would not want the Expedition to fall apart simply because one man refused to work with the Jedi. If Senator Cambrist can prove that he is capable of working with the Jedi, then please let him have the floor so he can have a say in this.

Tremaine Fowlkes
Senator of Telos IV

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 30 Aug 2010, 12:03 PM | Message # 10
Lieutenant general
Gentlemen, please. I have been known to disagree with the Jedi, yes, and I take issue with them on a great many things. But these things are not germane to the expedition and, as commander, I would of course take their concerns as seriously as anyone else's. Some of you may think me a bigot, but many Jedi with whom I have corresponded can attest that I am gracious to them despite our differences. Those differences, in this case, do not define our purpose—our purpose is to explore the Stygian Caldera, and that would be my priority above all else.

Mical_de_CrionDate: Monday, 30 Aug 2010, 1:02 PM | Message # 11
Colonel
Awards: 5
Senator Cambrist, you have been vocal in your opposition to the Jedi and some of their practices. You have, however, also been a champion of equality concerning the Force. To simplify it, you believe the Jedi have a right to do as they do, and that the Sith, Dark Jedi, Grey Jedi, etc. also have a right to do as they do, without interference from either side. Please correct me if I am wrong in this simplification. I must say that, slowly, you have been convincing me of a more middle ground position, and in a sense to challenge your beliefs, if you find a presence, be it some holdout of the ancient and believed to be extinct Sith species or Sith practioners, how would you go about such an encounter?

Mical Léo de Crion
Director, All Stars Burn As One Foundation
Chairman, Urban Youth College Fund
Owner, Château Hiver Rivière

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 30 Aug 2010, 4:13 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant general
A good question, Senator. We will not use force—or if I may be forgiven the pun, the Force—unless we are incurred upon first. As you noted, identifying oneself as a "Sith" is not a crime, and I would never condone the arbitrary arrest or displacement of individuals who have committed no crime and do not interfere with the expedition. The rule of law must be respected, even in the remotest regions of the Republic. However, those who do threaten or impede the expedition, or conspire to do either, would be subject to whatever amount of force is proportional to the threat that they pose.

LomenRyuunDate: Thursday, 02 Sep 2010, 1:07 PM | Message # 13
Lieutenant general
Senator Cambrist, I am curious as to one thing: as you say, and it is true, the rule of law must be respected even in the most remote regions of the Republic. If I understand correctly, though I may be mistaken, the 'unknown worlds' of the Caldera are not of the New Republic. As such, we may be seen as invaders into the space of others as opposed to light-bringers. If your vessel is therefore attacked, it would be in defense of said worlds unexplored. This however, could well be taken as a threat.

You once made a mocking comment naming myself as an upholder of alien rights. Perhaps though, I shall raise that title up now. I wish to be included on this expedition to ensure no undue harm comes to any species the New Republic encounters, as well as to ensure they are fairly spoken for.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Senator_CambristDate: Thursday, 02 Sep 2010, 5:44 PM | Message # 14
Lieutenant general
I mean no disrespect to the Senator, but he is the least qualified person I can imagine to accompany this expedition. He has referred, in the past, to "Hutt deviousness," and said that "the Hutts are not trustworthy and are some of the most greedy beings in the galaxy." Senators, regardless of your feelings for Hutts, substitute "Hutt" in Senator Ryuun's words for "Wookiee" or "Human" and you will see why he would be a poor choice to "speak for" any species but his own. Also, I would question whether a Senator who was once famously fooled by a Sith would be appropriate for an exploration into so called "Sith Space." And that is what this is about, Senators—exploration, not politics. The presence of more politicians on this expedition will only politicize it. This is not necessary, especially since the New Republic fleet already has strict procedures for dealing with new life forms. It is, frankly, an insult to the professionalism of our fleet to assume that they require the supervision of Senator Ryuun to remain on good behavior.

With regard to the Senator's question, the Stygian Caldera is situated within the Esstran Sector and, thus, is notionally under the authority of the New Republic. Any Sith, scavengers, or "squatters" that we come upon will be informed of this. However, primitive species will be left alone because, again, this is not a political endeavor. Our purpose is not to displace populations or political hierarchies, tribes, etc.

LomenRyuunDate: Friday, 03 Sep 2010, 8:29 AM | Message # 15
Lieutenant general
Senator Cambrist, any of my fears about the Hutts have been proved correct as Senator Fowlkes can attest to. My very home is uner threat from the Hutt Cartels. But that is neither here nor there. Neither is my former and mistaken involvement with Jericho Novak. There is nothing to say he could not have done the same to you, Senator.

My other doubts are on the safety of the mission with you leaing it. Forgive me for saying, but the curious events surounding the damage to your castle and the destruction of a freighter on Brentaal lead me to believe your enemies are more powerful and devious than imagined. Your presence may bring unnecessary attacks on this venture. Perhaps Senator Vanden or Senator Forte; even Senator Fowlkes or Thanatos could be better substitutes.

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » An Expedition to the Stygian Caldera
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz