MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
5:16 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » OOC Forum » Clarification on the Jace Doctrine
Clarification on the Jace Doctrine
DannilBoVarDate: Tuesday, 01 Dec 2009, 4:37 PM | Message # 1
Major
Group: Users
Awards: 0
Alas, I require some clarification on the proposal by Jace illustrated here. Namely, the IMC already has a custom ship design that spans 549 Meters, thereby in contradiction to the proposal by Jace to not approve the custom designs above 250 meters.

Am I to assume that should the IMC use her Large Shipyard to build a Prometheus Class Carrier, I would be denied? Or does the original approval of my design veto the new proposal? Also, I must question the idea of the proposal; I don't think it necessary to restrict custom designs to 250 or less meters. In my opinion, the requirement for such a measure would be only to boost the level of cannon ship numbers in use in the community. However, apart from the civilian sector of the CEC, it doesn't make sense for ship designs in use by a Galactic Government (IE: The Remnant or the Republic) to be purchasable to third parties (CSA, IMC, Pirate factions; though I doubt they would be allowed to purchase said things anyway).

So, with the greatest respect, I would like to know the reasoning behind the proposal and restriction.

-----------
Dannil Bo'Var
Representative
InterGalactic Mining Core and Subsidiaries

Jace_VaritekDate: Tuesday, 01 Dec 2009, 5:50 PM | Message # 2
Generalissimo
Group: Administrators
Awards: 4
I had a post almost finished in response to this, and then clicked out of the window and lost it. So please bear with me as I reconstruct it as well as I can, probably in less detail that I had intended.

Bear in mind, of course, that this is a restriction only on my own vote, as but one of many voting managers. To answer your question, though, I will not oppose requests for existing designs, even if they are against my criteria, because management has already supported them (i.e. Drasek Cale's recent request for an Origin-class vessel, which exceeds my 250 meter limit but of which I approved anyway because management had already approved it on a prior occasion). I don't like it, but it's only fair.

My reasons are twofold; 1.) To encourage the use of canon vessels, as you surmised, primarily because A.) they are adequate and abundant, and B.) Corellia's request for the Kor Vella-class vessel has proven to me just how nightmarish the moderation of such things can become (note that my post on that thread--past 1 AM--suggests that I had been discussing the fine details of the ship with Karath for "several hours," which also involved frequent references back to the earlier request for the Kruus-class vessel because that ship was held up as a justification for more armaments on this ship; in all, a dreadful, dreadful, dreadful experience).

2.) Related to this, I've found lately that the requests of original designs have essentially been intended to introduce far more firepower into the RP than is reasonably available with canon ships. This is how we've ended up with a Neimoidian ship larger than everything in the New Republic's fleet (with the exception of the Lusankya which, along with all other Super Star Destroyers, have traditionally been prohibited in the RP), and a Corellian ship that is essentially a fleet unto itself and was approved largely on the basis that we had earlier approved the Neimoidian ship.

I find it's easiest to simply draw the line somewhere, rather than having to spend hours nitpicking each specific design and being accused of bias. 250 meters seems reasonable to me because it approaches the lowest threshold of a frigate and no ship of that size or smaller can realistically have enough firepower to serve as a substitute for canon Star Wars ships. I think that covers that, however I confess I don't think I understood what you mean about governments and third parties. If I haven't addressed that point, please rephrase and I can take another shot at it.

Jace Varitek

Jace Varitek
Manager/Administrator from January 2003 to Present
My recent posts here, pre-2009 archives here

"When my information changes, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
—John Maynard Keynes

Furthermore, a dancing Wookiee:

DannilBoVarDate: Tuesday, 01 Dec 2009, 6:00 PM | Message # 3
Major
Group: Users
Awards: 0
I'll just nab you on messenger if that's acceptable.

-----------
Dannil Bo'Var
Representative
InterGalactic Mining Core and Subsidiaries

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » OOC (Out of Character) » OOC Forum » Clarification on the Jace Doctrine
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz