Wednesday
11:54 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Forum moderator: Sate_Pestage  
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » The Ash Worlds Governance Act (An Act to bolster good law and order.)
The Ash Worlds Governance Act
Bernard_OrielDate: Tuesday, 15 Jan 2013, 5:06 PM | Message # 1
Colonel general
Group: Users
Awards: 1
[/c][c]The Ash Worlds Governance Act

Noting the sheer size of the Ash Worlds. Also noting that there are a number of scattered Human colonies of Tionese extraction and several alien worlds in the region.

Further considering that the majority of the Sector is uninhabitable and so remains poorly policed and represents a potential vacuum to which dissidents might be drawn.

Also clarifying that this represents no criticism of the Imperial Garrisons in place, simply that they may be under-resourced and lacking coordination due to the lack of a Sector Governor or Moff (this lack is quite correct as the sparsely populated sector hardly merits it's own Moff).

Concerned that the lack of Sector Governance leaves the Emperor's deep space resources and their exploitation in remote areas poorly policed.

Thus with these facts considered it is apparent that the status quo, while tenable at present, could be improved considerably by the designation of the Ash Worlds as a Affiliated Region of the Auril Sector Moffdom. The Auril Sector is the major trading destination for the remaining human colonies in the Ash Worlds (and between the two sectors there is a shared bond of kinship) and it would appear that these factors make the Auril Sector most suitable.

The Auril Sector Government will thus take over direct management as the Imperial Appointed Sector Government for the Ash Worlds.

The Auril Sector Moff will appoint an "Regional Overseer" (Imperial Level C-3  "Overseer") who will base himself within the Sector and operate as the Civil Power in the Sector. The Overseer will be accountable to the Moff of the Auril Sector and will be responsible with maintaining good order and progress in the region in the interests of the Empire. Each human colony will be entitled to appoint or elect one Representative to the Overseers Governance Committee which will assure the Overseer has available a wide range of local opinion on which to base his decisions.

The Overseer will be responsible for establishing an Imperial Magistrates office for the Sector and seeing it's efficient running - cases may be appealed to the Auril Sector Imperial Circuit Court, or even the Sector Moff's Court.

The Auril Sector Imperial Fleet will provide a small squadron and mobile crisis reaction unit to help patrol the spacelanes and danger zones of the Ash Worlds funded by a 0.5% tax on all income within the Ash Worlds.

The Cambrist Amendment - The provisions of the Act are subject to review by the Moff Council.

Bernard Oriel
Senator for the Planet of Vjun
1st Earl Malreaux (Second Creation)
Vjun Delegation to the Imperial Senate

Message edited by Bernard_Oriel - Friday, 08 Feb 2013, 1:52 AM

Chernobog_CronDate: Tuesday, 15 Jan 2013, 6:03 PM | Message # 2
Sergeant
Awards: 0
The request for recognition to speak in the Imperial Senate has been withdrawn by the First Minister

Chernobog Cron
First Minister of the Cronese Mandate
Duke of House Cron
Lord of Argai

Message edited by Chernobog_Cron - Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013, 0:58 AM

Bernard_OrielDate: Wednesday, 16 Jan 2013, 6:59 PM | Message # 3
Colonel general
Just to clarify, as I told the First Minister of the Mandate in private, this is a motion to avoid escalation of tension by encouraging Imperialization and the enforcement of a robust Imperial authority to avert the possibility of the sort of anarchic internecine violence that engulfed the region recently spreading to an area which at present has little cohesive Government on anything larger than a planetary level.

Bernard Oriel

Roman_LekpinDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 4:34 PM | Message # 4
Colonel
Senator Oriel, while I'm sure this motion is proposed in good faith, I personally am against this fully. Despite the Auril Sector being a major trading hub, Moff Winder is already in charge of his own sector; there is certainly no need for him to take on the additional duties of another sector. Furthermore, this could well be seen by other Moffs as an attempt to expand his own power base within the Empire. I would much rather see a Moff with no close ties control the sector, or one be named to it.

Roman Lekpin
Representative, Lorrd (11 BBY-10 BBY) (9 BBY-Present)
Chosen of House Garth

Bernard_OrielDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 8:07 PM | Message # 5
Colonel general
Senator Lekpin.

How would you propose the situation be resolved? The Ash Worlds would still have it's own effectively autonomous governor. The problem is that Imperial Law requires the approval of those who hold the title of Moff to do certain things within a region (stake large mining claims for example). This just expands the Auril Sector's Governor's (not Moff Winder specifically - whoever is Moff of the Sector including future Moffs) civil power and patrol obligations over an ungoverned region.

You speak of Moff Winder having connections with the region as if he is some type of local? You are surely aware that Moff Winder is an Anaxsi - not a local.

The Ash Worlds are absolutely valueless and mostly radioactive wastelands with few resources - many systems have higher populations than the entire region. To describe it as a Sector would be like describing a desert as a city. There is no power to be gained from this arrangement by the Auril Sector Moff, no profit to be made. There is little prestige in being the night watchman over a blasted wasteland but the blasted wasteland needs a night watchman to protect the few who live there and prevent it becoming a haven for pirates and enemies of the Empire in our midst.

Bernard Oriel

Roman_LekpinDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 9:51 PM | Message # 6
Colonel
Moff Winder is, by association with the Auril Sector as sector governor, tied to the sector, regardless of home planet of origin. He represents the Imperial governance of the Auril Sector.

As you say, though, the Ash Worlds need a 'night watchman.' Meaning no offense to Moff Winder, of course, but why not have Moff Cole of the Abrion Sector there? The man has been extremely proactive in regards to clearing his sector or pirate groups and even driving off the Separatist Valin Rall on one occasion. He has also been instrumental in raising the economy of the Abrion Sector. His record speaks for itself. If he were willing to take on the responsibility, he strikes me as the perfect night watchman.

Roman Lekpin
Chosen of House Garth

Bernard_OrielDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 10:23 PM | Message # 7
Colonel general
I'll grant Moff Cole may be a fine officer and a loyal servant of the Empire. The same I would say of Moff Winder who is the current incumbent in the position of Auril Sector Moff.

This motion proposes to make the Auril Sector Government responsible for the Ash Worlds which are directly adjacent to it, as the Ash Worlds are in close proximity to the Auril Sector it is easy and cheap to have it's ships and legal framework expand to aid governance of the Ash Worlds (which would still have appointed their own more junior governor for day to day matters).

Moff Cole is Moff of the Abrion Sector. The Abrion Sector is a little less than 100,000 light years from the Ash Worlds. Do you not think it would be a waste to have ships of the Abrion Sector constantly making a round trip as long as the galaxy is wide to patrol some sparsely inhabited worlds?

To appoint the Ash Worlds to any specific individual would be inappropriate, the Empire does not assign territory to individuals on an individual basis. To tie the Governance of some worlds to a Government (not an individual) makes a great deal of sense.

Bernard Oriel

Roman_LekpinDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 10:28 PM | Message # 8
Colonel
I can't speak that far for Moff Cole, Senator Oriel. I'm simply offering his name as a possible candidate; the man hasn't even said anything. One supposes we could grant him the floor to speak, of course, but as Moff Cole is a military commander, I am sure he could offer a far better explanation of why and how and what than I could to answer your questions.

Roman Lekpin
Chosen of House Garth

Bernard_OrielDate: Thursday, 17 Jan 2013, 10:43 PM | Message # 9
Colonel general
I respect your opinion, but I think it is best to have a local man do the job and local forces perform the duties. I trust in Moff Winder to choose a suitable Administrator for the Ash Worlds.

Bernard Oriel

LomenRyuunDate: Sunday, 20 Jan 2013, 8:43 AM | Message # 10
Lieutenant general
Druckenwell has no objection to this. I vote in favor of Moff Winder appointing an overseer for the Ash Worlds. Might it be fair to ask of the Moff to present a list of possible candidates?

Lomen Ryuun
Senator, Doldur Sector
Senator, Druckenwell
Representative, Monor II (10 BBY - 9 BBY)
Representative, Geridard
Representative, Boranall
Representative, Therenor Prime
Vice-chairman, Defense Committee (Temporarily suspended)
Controlling Shareholder - Druckenwell Arms Corporation

Senator_CambristDate: Sunday, 03 Feb 2013, 9:34 AM | Message # 11
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
I question the necessity of this. With all due respect I see no "situation" in need of resolution. The Ash Worlds, by and large, are irradiated; most of the region has been uninhabited for 20,000 years, and understandably so. What population there is there is mostly alien, predisposed to criminality. And with little or no economic potential, I see no Imperial interest there.

Do the Tionese have some racial history in the region? Yes, but I don't see why the Imperial Senate should be paying homage to the racial memory of the Tionese. The Auril Sector's border with the Ash Worlds is, in fact, quite small. The Jubilar, Dominus, Phelleem, and Calamari Sectors have far more expansive borders with the Ash Worlds, so presumably more to be concerned about, if any reason for concern there is. In fact, the Auril Sector, being as heavily-defended as it is, has perhaps the least to fear.

Is it possible the Ash Worlds could be used as a haven for pirates or rebels? Remotely possible, but yes. I don't propose the region be simply ignored. But I'd rather see the Moffs from the surrounding sectors negotiate a mutual enforcement treaty to present to the Emperor for his approval—something that would enable any of these sectors to launch forays into the Ash Worlds for the purpose of law enforcement. The Council of Moffs could be useful in brokering the terms.

I vote tentatively against this.

Bernard_OrielDate: Sunday, 03 Feb 2013, 9:55 AM | Message # 12
Colonel general
Moff Winder is not Tionese. I have no reason to think that the Auril Sector is likely to have a Tionese governor. The Auril sector is next door and its worlds and Governor are willing to help police the region. I think this altruism in taking on the burden of the Ash Worlds is admirable. If a nearby sector wanted the job, Moff Winder has expressed to me the fact he has no "yearning" to be the authority for a wide unpoliced region of space with no real resources or economy, a wide region with the population of an average Mid Rim world. This is a -burden- not a laurel, and it is Moff Winder (who has shown an interest in the History of the Tion Cluster) that is willing to take on the extra work and responsibility for no extra pay or benefits.

I think perhaps you are misreading the situation Senator Cambrist, would you want to he responsible for policing a desert which lacks any resources of worth?

Bernard Oriel

Senator_CambristDate: Sunday, 03 Feb 2013, 10:12 AM | Message # 13
Lieutenant general
Shall the Senate summon the testimony of the Auril Sector's neighboring Moffs to see if they regard this expansion of Moff Winder's power as an altruistic move on his part? I dare say you're seeing this only from the Auril Sector's perspective, Senator Oriel. I do not impugn Moff Winder's motives—after all, this is your proposal, not his. But if "the situation" is of as much concern as it is portrayed here, surely it is of shared concern to the many other sectors bordering the Ash Worlds. Why should the Imperial Senate bequeath the Ash Worlds to any one of them in particular? The Council of Moffs exists to resolve exactly this sort of jurisdictional ambiguity.

Bernard_OrielDate: Sunday, 03 Feb 2013, 10:46 AM | Message # 14
Colonel general
As you wish Senator Cambrist. Admittedly I have only spoken to Winder; but the fiscal costings seem compelling that patrolling such a wide volume of space effectively and regularly would only be an expense and that the net value annually of such duties to any neighbouring region would be negative. He has also expressed his willingness to step aside should any other Sector desire the appointment so let them speak.

Bernard Oriel

Senator_CambristDate: Sunday, 03 Feb 2013, 11:04 AM | Message # 15
Lieutenant general
"As you wish" would be misunderstanding my wishes somewhat, Senator. I have no desire to inconvenience these Moffs. My point was a rhetorical one, that perhaps what Moff Winder fully and innocently believes to be an altruistic move on his part could be misinterpreted by his neighbors, who presumably have as much an interest in the Ash Worlds as he does. It seems to me that the prohibitive cost you cite is all the more reason to share the burden uniformly among Moff Winder's neighbors, provided they're agreeable to this. But I maintain that's an arrangement for them to hash out among themselves. After all, Moff Winder has stated in no uncertain terms his disdain for "the sniveling of the Senate."

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » The Ash Worlds Governance Act (An Act to bolster good law and order.)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz