Wednesday
6:51 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Archive - read only
Forum moderator: Sate_Pestage  
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » Sluissi Plagiarism
Sluissi Plagiarism
Schmuel_KadramDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 3:45 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Awards: 1
Gentlebeings,

The Sluissi have long been known for producing modernized replicas of ancient ships. Now it seems they are attempting to plagarize the thought of Rothana Heavy Engineering by producing a vessel that is simply larger and more poorly designed version of the Dictator-class Frigate.

While it is recognized that other shipyards may not have the innovative capacity and dynamic ability of Rothana and it's parent company KDY, we are astonished to see such an unsubtle attempt at plagarism once more from tem.

Let the ladies and gentlemen of the Senate note, the first vessel to deploy Gun Platforms was which? The Dictator-class. And now strangely the Sluissi are having coincidentally the same idea?

I would like to most heartily protest to the Commerce Council at the infringement of our intellectual property and call for all sensible Imperial Members to avoid purchasing what is clearly a cheap reproduction, lacking the quality and finish of the original. We would also like to add that we fully intend to proceed to the Imperial Courts to seek a judgement against Sluis Van for it's plagarism unless it immediately withdraws its product and apologizes for infringing our patents.

Schmuel Kadram
Governor of Rothana
Junior Vice President of Operations KDY

Toben-DomonDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 5:28 PM | Message # 2
Major general
Awards: 0
I would like to point out exactly how Senator Kadram's claim is unfounded. First and foremost, as seen here, Rothana owns the patents on the 'Tractor Beam Deployed Gun Platform System.' The Defender-class clearly utilizes maneuvering rockets to deploy its compliment of turrets and only utilizes a tractor beam to retract, not deploy the gun turrets. I might add as well that the vessel produced by Sluis Van Shipyards is, at the very least, equal to your own frigate, if not better armed and carrying a higher quantity of snubfighters and shuttles.

Don't be so upset if people choose to purchase a better product than what you offered. Also, don't get upset if someone comes up with a better idea than simply towing gun emplacements behind a ship.

Toben Domon
Senator, Sluis Van

Schmuel_KadramDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 5:39 PM | Message # 3
Lieutenant
I think its revealing that it's exactly twice the length, carries exactly twice as many snubfighters, carries twice the number of platforms etc.

A clear rip off. Of higher price and poorer quality may I add. I appeal to the Commerce Committee for a ruling on the matter of this clear corporate copycatism from Sluis Van.

It seems that on Sluis Van, doubling the size and doubling the production time equates to a new idea.

Schmuel Kadram
Governor of Rothana

Toben-DomonDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 5:43 PM | Message # 4
Major general
My apologies, Senator. I forget that if a ship is twice the size of another and carries twice the compliment, it makes it an exact duplicate. Let us not forget, it is also more heavily armed and offers the exact same quality if nothing else. I would gladly match my ship against yours in a test of combat, if that's what suits your needs. It seems that on Rothana, when a competitive superior product is created by others, whining about unfairness equates to an answer instead of going back to the drawing board.

Toben Domon
Senator, Sluis Van

Schmuel_KadramDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 5:49 PM | Message # 5
Lieutenant
It's "superior" in what respect? That's like saying a Frigate is superior to a Corvette, your ship is twice as big and so clearly yes; would win in a one on one duel. By the same token, any creature twice the size of another has the advantage in a one on one engagement.

No ships carried deployable weapon platforms until the Dictator-class, now Sluis Van's simply plagarized from the hard working men and women at KDY/RHE who come up with original ideas by stealing their ideas.

Again. I reiterate my call for the Commerce Committee to rule on whether it is right and proper that Sluissi shipwrights are simply allowed to plagarize every new idea coming out of our labs.

Schmuel Kadram
Governor of Rothana

Toben-DomonDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 5:54 PM | Message # 6
Major general
It is superior in all respects, Senator. Besides, you have a patent on a tractor beam deployment system. You never claimed a patent to be the only company who could produce vessels that can deploy gun platforms. We don't need to 'steal' your patents to make a quality product.

Toben Domon
Senator, Sluis Van

Schmuel_KadramDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 6:18 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant
Yes. You see a larger class of ship is generally superior! Thats rather the nature of the beast.

I think you misunderstand patents somewhat Mr Domon. Patents stolen or not, our ideas and innovations you did steal.

Schmuel Kadram
Governor of Rothana

Ilanah_ThanatosDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 8:30 PM | Message # 8
Colonel general
Awards: 3
Isnt a patent infringement is only if components A, B, and C are used exactly in a design? No....Sluis Van Shipyards can use the same components and avoid patent infringement if the technical process is changed. And also, since the components are changed also, to different technical specifications, there is no violation. 

I imagine that ideas are rather hard to steal, unless they're written out and taken, which i could not see anyone from Sluis Van doing. Last I checked, Sluis Van did not have any ability to suck the thoughts out of ones brain.

Ilanah R. Thanatos
Senator of Chandrila

Johannes_OswaldtDate: Tuesday, 26 Feb 2013, 9:31 PM | Message # 9
Major general
Or do they? Point of clarification, I call upon the expert testimony of Dr. Pluto Cratwright, chairman of the Imperial College of Medicine who consulted with the Ethics COmmittee today and should still be in the building. Can the sergeant at arms produce Dr. Cratwright please?

Johannes Oswaldt
Senator and Governor of Eriadu

Sate_PestageDate: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013, 0:26 AM | Message # 10
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
I'll allow this. Dr. Cratwright is recognized.

Sate Pestage
Grand Vizier of the Empire
Assistant to Emperor Palpatine
Chair of the Imperial Senate

Mr_Pluto_CratwrightDate: Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013, 5:35 AM | Message # 11
Sergeant
Actually, there are papers written which suggest that the Sluissi actually do have certain telepathic abilities, although the court is still out on that one. What is verified is that their jaws have the capacity to (and indeed have been seen to) crunch directly through the human skull to feed upon our brain matter directly. Theyre a species which has had members serve in the Jedi order, and who (as a mass) sided with the Confederates during the last war. The official advice when dealing with them is not to trust them and to avoid their maws.

If I might note too, that while I am unaware of this specific instance, they are not a species known for their innate imagination. They have been shown to be reasonable builders (if ponderously slow workers) of ships, but the predominance of their designs are based upon historical ones (bizarrely they literally copied the hull shapes and exact look for a recent line of ships).

I think it's possible they don't understand the concept of plagarism. Clearly the appropriation of the KDY idea here is not understood by the Sluissi delegate. I must say it is remarkable that the Sluissi come up with a ship that deploys gun platforms (never done before in recorded history) just after Rothana does?

To be honest, it may be a sincere attempt to improve (since they have a quasi-religious view of shipbuilding) based on some cultish belief, failing to see that "improving" other beings ideas could be considered an admission of their own failure to innovate.

Mr Pluto Cratwright
Consultant Neurosurgeon

Message edited by Mr_Pluto_Cratwright - Wednesday, 27 Feb 2013, 5:39 AM

Eli_FitzgeraldDate: Sunday, 10 Mar 2013, 10:48 PM | Message # 12
Major general
I hardly see a point to this. Dr. Cratwright as far as I know is not an authority on intellectual property. There's definitely some novelty to the good doctor's lurid opinions about the Sluissi as a species, but I doubt he can tell us what is or isn't considered novel in the shipbuilding industry. I'm not taking a side in this dispute, but I do happen to know that Trandosha has an old Lucrehulk tanker that tows gun platforms, and it's been done plenty of times before. I've heard of Ithorian herdships using tractor beams to move gun emplacements from one position to another. It's hardly new.

Eli Fitzgerald
Senator of Ralltiir (10 BBY—Present)

"I was elected to do some flamethrowing in the Senate. To a light a fire under those Senators and make it hot for them."

Avram_KirkwoodDate: Monday, 11 Mar 2013, 0:01 AM | Message # 13
Lieutenant
I do have a law degree. While my specialty is in constitutional law, I do have some experience in intellectual property. I do not see an issue in which such law was breached, albeit without detailed knowledge of either system. Galactic law has long been established that similar weapon systems do not qualify for IP infringement; otherwise every model of turbolaser would result in a lawsuit. Unless Senator Kadram can prove that the Sluissi design used the actual system RHE designed, then there is no legal issue at this point.

The Honorable Avram W. Kirkwood
Senator of the Cygnus Star Empire

General, Imperial Army (Ret.)

Schmuel_KadramDate: Monday, 11 Mar 2013, 10:22 AM | Message # 14
Lieutenant
I am not implying a law was breached, merely exposing Sluissi plagarism. We don't believe it will be legally actionable but believe it bears announcing to the Senate that Sluis Van is again ripping off honest humans. The weapon system was unheard of before we did it a mobile vehicle deploying these platforms and using tractor beams to manipulate them, the Trandoshan station had wired platforms which is a completely separate issue.

So no, RHE isn't taking the low road of legal action, we are content that our ships speak for themselves in their quality and the Galactic customer will choose the innovator, not the plagaristic Sluissi.

Schmuel Kadram
Governor of Rothana

Senator_CambristDate: Monday, 11 Mar 2013, 1:01 PM | Message # 15
Lieutenant general
Awards: 6
The Commerce Committee is sympathetic to you, Senator Kadram. While the Committee has no formal opinion, it's rather apparent to us that this mass-market Sluissi ship sporting tractor beam-deployed gun emplacements being released so soon after Rothana Heavy Engineering pioneered a similar model is more than a simple coincidence. We doubt there is a legal case to be made, if for no other reason than Rothana's deployment system is so superior to the Sluissi system that the imitation is not a very good one. But while Sluis Van is not required to do so, it would do well nonetheless to acknowledge that the Rothana design was clearly its inspiration or it does stand to lose its reputation as an innovator.

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » The Galactic Empire » The Imperial Senate » Sluissi Plagiarism
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz