MainMy profileRegistrationLog outLogin
Friday
3:47 AM
| RSS Main
[New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Archive - read only
Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Le Dénouement de Baltimn
Le Dénouement de Baltimn
MercutioDate: Sunday, 13 Jun 2010, 8:28 PM | Message # 46
Sergeant
Group: Users
Awards: 2
Mercutio had closed his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose through much of the conversation. He rather wished he had a glass of brandy but, more importantly, he wished Stomwell and Ulyanov had glasses of brandy. Or perhaps vodka for Ulyanov. To say that the conversation had deteriorated would be an insult to entropy. It fell to the King now to find some semblance of accord in this mess. He was not optimistic—Stomwell seemed most concerned with shielding himself from prosecution, and Ulyanov was obfuscating on the election issue. But Mercutio would salvage what he could. First, he needed to clear up some misconceptions.

"Gentlemen," he said when their argument seemed finally to exhaust itself, "Be assured that no one will be subject to a partial, partisan trial as long as the New Republic is mediating this crisis. How this is done remains to be determined. However, Mr. Stomwell, I must point out that Mr. Ulyanov is correct that legal cases on Baltimn do not fall under the jurisdiction of New Republic courts except in specific instances where Republic citizens or assets are involved. With respect, I must also agree with Mr. Ulyanov that the wealth aboard your corvette must not in good conscience be permitted to leave the planet. The people of Baltimn and the aristocracy alike must be allowed to recover their money, or as much of it as is possible, in an equitable manner. If I may stress the point, I believe this is why it is so important to have an election as soon as possible."

He glanced to Ulyanov. "Surely you see," he said to him plaintively, "that your government must enjoy popular support—that is, it must be elected—before it can rightfully bring about the reforms and changes that you propose. A new constitution, the abolition of the aristocracy, and all of these things, surely, should be decided by the people of Baltimn. But the people, with all due respect to Mr. Stomwell, have said only that they disapprove of the Stomwell government, not that they approve of yours, Mr. Ulyanov. I happen to believe that there is some merit in your proposals, but if you mean them to be successful and to be regarded as legitimate, it is crucial that your government is, first, elected."

"It is commendable that your movement has called for the normalization of relations with the New Republic, and the New Republic is prepared for this. But please, do understand that the Republic cannot recognize a government as legitimate that has not been elected by its people. For as long as there is no election, throughout the galaxy records, databases, and textbooks will continue to say that Mr. Stomwell is the ruler of Baltimn and, it's possible, he may continue to hold possession of the planet's wealth. Surely you don't want this. Mr. Stomwell," Mercutio glanced once more to the screen, "You've consented to an election. What are your thoughts on the conditions that Mr. Ulyanov has suggested for that election? Specifically, bans on private contributions and a bloc vote for unions?"

His Excellency,
Governor Mercutio of Naboo
Head of the Royal Advisory Council, and Duke of Ferentina

Vladimir_UlyanovDate: Sunday, 13 Jun 2010, 9:14 PM | Message # 47
Lieutenant
Awards: 0
"Mercutio, I think you will agree in this climate it is impossible to organise an election, hence I propose the timeframe I have stated. While it may not be desirable that we have no electoral mandate, you cannot deny that a mandate of a proletarian revolution is considerable. We would perhaps introduce a popular ballot on our constitutional changes, allow people to vote on the specific constitution in a referendum.

Simply put, the revolution has given us a mandate for reform. Out of the fires of revolution we shall bake new men who shall not heed the old lies. If this causes the New Republic not to recognise us, then so be it. Baltimn will, if necessary shift its economy onto a currency free system. We only seek the wealth to be channelled into the good of the people, but if we cannot then we shall improve the lot of the people.

I have ridden the countryside of Baltimn, and I have met farmers, farmers who are told they will be evicted from their lands if they do not endorse feudal landlords when elections roll on. The wealth of Baltimn is controlled at present by the few, and before we can hold any elections we must prevent the few from having undue influence on the many, only through maximum possible economic equality can true democracy be achieved, for what greater influence can be had?

Many on Baltimn, which as Mr Stomwell put it is "backward" economically, has nothing to lose but its chains, and everything to gain, no longer can I allow the aristocracy and plutocracy to exercise coercion over the people to win elections. Consider the factory worker, who votes for the Labour Party at election.. he knows full well that if the aristocrat who owns the factory finds out he voted that way, he will find his employment terminated and would find himself on the street. While the effective master-wage slave system on Baltimn exists, there cannot be democracy, and as such there cannot be elections.

As long as I breathe I hope. As long as I breathe I shall fight for the future, that radiant future, in which sentient, strong and beautiful, will become master of the drifting stream of his history and will direct it towards the boundless horizons of beauty, joy and happiness.

There is a limit to the application of democratic methods. You can inquire of all the passengers as to what type of speeder they like to ride in, but it is impossible to question them as to whether to apply the brakes when the mag-lev train is at full speed and accident threatens.

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in the ancient republics: freedom for the slave-owners. All over Baltimn, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake “public opinion” for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.

Now that we are victorious on Baltimn, I think we shall use gold for the purpose of building public lavatories in the streets of some of the largest cities of the world, for indeed I seemed to have lost myself momentarily in the lust for my Government to be able to use the Wealth of Baltimn to Help Baltimn. What is Gold worth compared to the dexterity of the hand that holds it?

What need has Baltimn of cooperation, recognition or any of these other words from the New Republic.. Baltimn has resources, and I think we would be much better served by a policy of non-contact with offworlders which only serves to expose us to a wider, corrupt capitalist system..

The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head, there must be no more of these lies. Your wealth, your power, your ships of war, your turbolasers, they are all ultimately meaningless in the light of reason and thought. We of Baltimn want no more truck with your capitalist ideals.

Begone, take with you your petty trinkets which you ascribe worth to. For what worth is there in an inert metal? Can you build your gold into ploughshares? With Stomwell and his bourgeois friends gone then the planet will have been robbed of a corrupting influence which serves only to blacken our hearts and turn us against our fellow men."

Comrade Chairman Vladimir Illych Yuri Ulynov

Chairman of the Central Committee of Peoples Commissars

Baltimn Labour Party

Also known as:

The Baltimn Revolutionary Movement for Change, Hope, Prosperity, Economic Equality.

Simon_LeviDate: Sunday, 13 Jun 2010, 9:48 PM | Message # 48
Major general
Awards: 3
A Neimoidian Baliff bustled into the procedings, holding an official invoice and warrant "Your government has been ajudged by a Neimoidian Court to have defaulted on its debt, as such I am here to claim full payment (including projected interest) for the Court. In the circumstances we would be willing to accept the Corvette, the Currency Units and Securities aboard, all government property (Uniforms, Weapons, Armour etc) as full settlement for the debt. There also remains the question of Baliff's fees and the defaulting fee, in addition to court costs.. All the private possessions of Mr Stomwell and the other individuals onboard would be satisfactory settlement for these.. should he refuse, as per Neimoidian Law he would find himself liable to working off the debt in debtors prison on Neimoidia."

Moff of the Tammuz Sector

Message edited by Senator_Kruus - Sunday, 13 Jun 2010, 9:51 PM

JephStomwellDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 4:26 AM | Message # 49
Major
Awards: 1
stomwell was hardly impressed by the neimoidian. chuckling, he gestured towards the bay in the distance where the corvette waited.

"take it if you want... you won't like what you'll get, neimoidian. nonetheless, you will have it. if it is all the same to you though, i'd much rather pull my security team up a few floors before you breach entry into the vessel."

Jeph Stomwell
Ambassador, Baltimn

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 10:41 AM | Message # 50
Major general
The former portmaster turned baliff raised an eyebrow, or as close to it as a neimoidian could. "Is that a fewt?"

JephStomwellDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 11:24 AM | Message # 51
Major
stomwell resolutely turned his back on the port master. crossing his arms, he looked out the viewport towards the naboo vessel.

"i have need to contact king mercutio at this time. i need your communication system."

Jeph Stomwell
Ambassador, Baltimn

MercutioDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 1:06 PM | Message # 52
Sergeant
"I see," Mercutio said to Ulyanov, glacially. His suspicions of the man were confirmed. He was not only what his opponents said he was, but worse; his words had built upon themselves into a crescendo of spitefulness and paranoia by his conclusion. And all Mercutio had done was suggest an election. He knew, then, that this would not work out well for Baltimn. He had hoped that Ulyanov would prove a reasonable and steady hand on the tiller of Baltimn's government and economy, but clearly he was unstable and, worse, he was turning his back on the very demands his protestors had chanted in the streets. Mercutio had a feeling that he would not long govern Baltimn.

A distinct feeling of sorrow came over the King—sorrow, that is, for the people of Baltimn. The planet was on a blade edge, and this humanitarian and peacekeeping mission was, in all likelihood, the last best hope to prevent Baltimn's society, civil service, and infrastructure from collapsing into chaos. The New Republic could deploy its forces there whether Ulyanov consented to it or not, but he doubted there would be support for this in the Senate. Already, President Gavrisom had been ominously silent on the King's urgent dispatches requesting financial assistance for the planet. Mercutio's heart was heavy, and he bore the burden of a man who knew that turning his back on this world would consign it to a dismal fate.

Mercutio didn't want to admit it, but Stomwell suddenly seemed to resemble a lesser of two evils. He glanced at the man on the screen only to notice, belatedly, that a Neimoidian was conversing with him. He listened in on them in time to hear what did indeed sound like a threat to the Neimoidian. Mercutio closed his eyes and massaged the bridge of his nose again. So much for the lesser of two evils. "We're still here, Mr. Stomwell," he said in response to him. In his mind, however, he was beginning to consider plans for how exactly to depart from Baltimn. What would they do with Stomwell and, more importantly, the corvette? Who did it belong to, exactly? The money was an even more complicated issue, and the King was almost grateful that the Neimoidians seemed to have resolved it.

His Excellency,

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 2:23 PM | Message # 53
Major general
The Neimoidians simply moved in a few droids to the ship, leaving a free turbolift for the guards if they wanted to get up a few decks to the rest of their people. It was locked down so they could not get elsewhere aside from the 3 floors up to the conference room in the side of the hangar where the rest of the Baltimnites rested.

A squad of B1s moved to just by the door of the corvette, the Sgt gesturing to another "Check it out Corporal" the droid clanked forward and put its head through the unsealed port "Rodger Rodger" it said in the standard B1 manner, before climbing onboard.

Vladimir_UlyanovDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 2:30 PM | Message # 54
Lieutenant
"Are matters here concluded?" Ulyanov said ready to walk out as there appeared to be no progress made. "You may be cynical about my reforms Republic Official. But did not your own rebel alliance throw off a tyrant then employ a reforming document before they held elections?

Indeed did they not introduce a whole new system which was never subject to a public majority vote. We will implement elections but we will reform our system before they can be considered legitimate. Could the freeing of the galaxy from the chains of the emperor have been done without revolution? When the system is rotten, the system must be reformed, root and branch, before Democracy has a meaning."

Baltimn Labour Party

Also known as:

The Baltimn Revolutionary Movement for Change, Hope, Prosperity, Economic Equality.

Message edited by Vladimir_Ulyanov - Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 2:36 PM

MercutioDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 3:04 PM | Message # 55
Sergeant
"The Alliance held a constitutional convention with representatives of the people present to vote on the proposed government," Mercutio noted, faintly. He was not interested in debating with Ulyanov, however. Indeed, he'd been studious not to "be cynical" about the man's reforms and had, instead, praised them rather unambiguously. The fact remained that Mercutio continued to harbor some, small hope that Ulyanov would govern without spite or repression. But it had been there in his voice, a moment ago. It would also have been quite simple to arrange an election and, indeed, Mr. Stomwell had not had the opportunity to comment on Ulyanov's terms before Ulyanov launched his tirade. This suggested to Mercutio that the man was interested only in power, and feared the people would not give it to him even under the conditions he himself had proposed.

"Matters are concluded here if you wish them to be, Mr. Ulyanov," Mercutio said, soberly. He bowed his head to the man respectfully, "I will convey to the President Gavrisom with regret that Baltimn in the possession of the Labor Party is not interested in association with the New Republic, as it promised, and that it has declined to recieve the Republic's assistance for its beleagured people. Thank you for your time, Sir. Please convey to my aide outside your preferred method of returning to the planet—we can arrange decoy shuttles once more, if need be."

His Excellency,

JephStomwellDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 3:10 PM | Message # 56
Major
the soldiers did not yet leave, almost as if they were waiting for something, so the droid, as of yet, would not get to board the ship. three stories up, stomwell turned to face the viewscreen. by his impassive features, it would be impossible to tell he had been laughing before. stomwell, one might assume, could well have cracked.

"mr. ulyanov, i may never have baltimn... but neither shall you. i have seen to that. i fear for the people... but i shall not be here to guide them any longer. good luck, mr. ulyanov. i hope you enjoy what you have wrought."

Jeph Stomwell
Ambassador, Baltimn

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 3:13 PM | Message # 57
Major general
The droids waited for the baltimn people to move.

Vladimir_UlyanovDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 3:21 PM | Message # 58
Lieutenant
*Vladamir somehow expected Stomwell to tweak his moustache and chuckle in the hammed up fashion of a victorian villain.*

"I see, have you quite grasped the magnitude of the situation?"

Baltimn Labour Party

Also known as:

JephStomwellDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 7:58 PM | Message # 59
Major
"i have, mr. ulyanov. i have. at this time, i am going to have my soldiers seal the door to the corvette and leave it that way until the new republic decides ownership. if it is decided to be mine, i will turn it over to neimoidia. if it is determined to be mr. ulyanov's, then he may have the contents.

"i believe i will take neimoidia up on its offer of a transport to the naboo vessel. we will be leaving now."

Jeph Stomwell
Ambassador, Baltimn

Simon_LeviDate: Monday, 14 Jun 2010, 8:11 PM | Message # 60
Major general
From the roof of the hangar began a gentle sprinkling of clear liquid a mix of 1/16th LSD and water, the effect of the liquid to soak everyone inside the hangar and cause severe hallucinations and incapacitation within minutes, even respirators would not be enough to prevent contact as only a fully sealed suit could prevent the fine mist of lsd and water.

A score of B2 Battle Droids, modified with stun blasters on their arms instead of their normal lethal fare moved in and formed a semi circle around the guard, who would find the incapacitant begin to disable them. They stood ready to take aim.

The Neimoidian spoke to Stomwell "Then I will seize your ship with non-deadwy force."

Star Wars RP: A Galaxy At War Forum » Archives & Flashbacks » In Character » Le Dénouement de Baltimn
Search:

Copyright MyCorp © 2024
Create a free website with uCoz